website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

14 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I was building a relationship with IFAF at the time, so I spent more time at that venue than any other in Birmingham (inline skating being a close second given my personal interests). 

I must admit I wasn't impressed by the format. I played flag football (8-a-side) growing up, and I think the format we played allowed for more creative plays than the IFAF format. I'd have to watch some replays to remember my full thoughts on the format though.

It feels like flag football might be a lot more fun to play than it is to watch - I've been an NFL fan for nearly 40 years (It was the early 80's Miami superbowls that hooked me in) and remember playing a variation of 'flag football' to the consternation of Irish teachers, at school. It was amazing fun to play, but I'm sure it looked dreadful. Is Arena football too high contact for a multisport games?

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I would say the decision was more motivated by the target market than, "breakdancing simply isn't making enough money." The sports added (outside of cricket, which was added for a different target market obviously) already exist on the American market. Breaking doesn't have the same reach in the United States as American football or lacrosse. As @Laraja noted, the WDSF had to establish an international calendar and formalize the format across competitions. Like any sport, breaking could tap into the American market at some point, but it represents a greater unknown than the chosen six sports.

It is interesting that the three individual sports managed to worm their way into the 'core' list, and I'm sure squash is hoping to do the same, especially if, as I suspect is likely, it hangs on to Brisbane. I see Bowls is making a pitch for Brisbane as a popular Commonwealth sport - and explicitly  making its older playing and watching demographic a plus; rather like cricket/baseball, there's a family of bowling sports that probably deserve to have at least one member played at Olympic level.

5 hours ago, El Analyzer said:

That's correct, only two events as you told me earlier. it stated also in Squash federation news.

Actually you said that before anybody and when WIKIPEDIA was saying 5 medal events by mistake ..credit goes to you my friend ..or you maybe a member of squash federation board :clap:

Nah, just google hard for news!

I think squash has a decent chance of staying on in Brisbane, and at that point might be able to push towards core sport, so long as it is careful on numbers and doesn't get 'greedy' - you could cobble together a full five events with not much more than 100 athletes (8 direct quota pairs in men's & women's doubles brings total number of quotas to 96, and doubles mixed can then go the tennis group and be cobbled from athletes at the games (as can extra pairs in the men's ad women's doubles i needs be)

On 10/16/2023 at 3:40 AM, Olympian1010 said:

Cricket fans love citing Netherlands as a competitive nation, but I’m not sure they’ve played a competitive game yet at the current ICC World Cup.

They haven’t faired much better in baseball, but the sport is almost certainly more global, even if it too is limited to a few hot spots.

Netherlands team: 

Keegan Michael Key Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

17 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I would say the decision was more motivated by the target market than, "breakdancing simply isn't making enough money." The sports added (outside of cricket, which was added for a different target market obviously) already exist on the American market. Breaking doesn't have the same reach in the United States as American football or lacrosse. As @Laraja noted, the WDSF had to establish an international calendar and formalize the format across competitions. Like any sport, breaking could tap into the American market at some point, but it represents a greater unknown than the chosen six sports.

I see you've done a complete backflip here. Just two years ago you argued that people who opposed breakdancing as Olympic sport (myself included) are stuck in the past, too outdated for modern reality and the so-called youth is the primary target that will dominate the future selections. Well, that narrative didn't last long, did it? Looks like the dreaded tradition actually matters more than short span tiktok generation :lol: After all, gridiron football has a long - careful, outdated word - tradition in USA which ultimately send the progressive breakdancing straight to the trash can. I'm not surprised that the "sport of the future" got axed so quickly. But that's not my problem, I never considered breakdancing as Olympic sport so I won't miss it whatsoever.

USA is a very closed market for new sports tbh. Hell, the one sport that is getting some visibility push lately - also thanks to Lionel Messi - is soccer - which is kinda popular all over the world already. While some of the previously established popular US sports are regressing and will probably never regain it's showtime status - gymnastics thanks to Larry Nassar scandal or figure skating which is no longer seen as a Cold War battle with Soviet Union.