website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

I think points system should be modified for individual events. Bonus for predicting all medalists should be 3 points, not just 1. With current system you get same number of points for correctly predicting all three medalists (in wrong order) as with correctly predicting only the gold medalist.

#banbestmen

17 minutes ago, dcro said:

I think points system should be modified for individual events. Bonus for predicting all medalists should be 3 points, not just 1. With current system you get same number of points for correctly predicting all three medalists (in wrong order) as with correctly predicting only the gold medalist.

maybe for the next time not for now

we can't change the rules during the event

47 minutes ago, dcro said:

I also think that it could be modified to solve this "problem"  (not for this contest of course, for next ones), but not in this way. I think that if we do as you suggest, predicting correctly the bronze could become in some cases more important than predicting correctly the gold ( for example, the difference between a perfect prediction and a prediction with correct gold + correct silver+ wrong bronze would become 12 - 7 = 5 points, more than the gold)

6 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

I also think that it could be modified to solve this "problem"  (not for this contest of course, for next ones), but not in this way. I think that if we do as you suggest, predicting correctly the bronze could become in some cases more important than predicting correctly the gold ( for example, the difference between a perfect prediction and a prediction with correct gold + correct silver+ wrong bronze would become 12 - 7 = 5 points, more than the gold)

Then we might also add 1 bonus point in case of correctly predicting 2 medalists.

Although, I don't see much of a problem in perfect prediction being more rewarding than just gold and silver. Predicting all three medalists is always going to be the harder task.

#banbestmen

44 minutes ago, dcro said:

Then we might also add 1 bonus point in case of correctly predicting 2 medalists.

Although, I don't see much of a problem in perfect prediction being more rewarding than just gold and silver. Predicting all three medalists is always going to be the harder task.

Perfect predictions must be more rewarding than gold and silver, but not so hugely in my opinion... the bronze should never be more important than the gold. I think that there is another system to do what you mean without modifying bonus points, and would give at least 6 points (instead of 4) to those who pick all 3 medalists, even in a wrong order.

I'll write it here hoping that it is understandable.

The current points system is

Results gold silver bronze
Prediction        
Gold   4 1 1
Silver   1 3 1
Bronze   1  1 2

Plus 1 bonus point . I think the only "problem" in this is the facts that you said before (only 4 points for predicting the 3 medalists in wrong order).

A very similar system is

Prediction        
Gold   4 2 1
Silver   2 3 2
Bronze   1  1 2

Plus 1 bonus points for predicting 3 medalists.

With this system, if you predict the 3 medalists in a completely wrong order you get 6 points (out of 10)

15 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Perfect predictions must be more rewarding than gold and silver, but not so hugely in my opinion... the bronze should never be more important than the gold. I think that there is another system to do what you mean without modifying bonus points, and would give at least 6 points (instead of 4) to those who pick all 3 medalists, even in a wrong order.

I'll write it here hoping that it is understandable.

The current points system is

Prediction        
Gold   4 1 1
Silver   1 3 1
Bronze   1  1 2

Plus 1 bonus point . I think the only "problem" in this is the facts that you said before (only 4 points for predicting the 3 medalists in wrong order).

A very similar system is

Prediction        
Gold   4 2 1
Silver   2 3 2
Bronze   1  1 2

Plus 1 bonus points for predicting 3 medalists.

With this system, if you predict the 3 medalists in a completely wrong order you get 6 points (out of 10)

It doesn't mean that bronze is more important than gold (bronze is still only 2 points). It just means that all three medalists are more important.

And this system is too complicated... Maybe something like this would work better

Gold - 5 pts

Silver - 4 pts

Bronze - 3 pts

Wrong medal - 1 pt

Only if someone has all three correct medalists, but some are in wrong order, then wrong medal gives 2 pts instead of 1 pt

So we have this example... There are no more bonus points as such.

Results:

1. Martin Fourcade - 5 Points

2. Simon Schempp - 4 Points

3. Anton Shipulin - 3 Points

Your Total: 12 Points

2. Anton Shipulin - 2 Point

3. Simon Schempp - 2 Point

Your Total: 9 Points

2. Julian Eberhard - 0 Points

3. Simon Schempp - 1 Point