website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

Women's basketball world cup prediction contest is not opened yet, but before I open it I wanted to see whether you agree (more or less) with the scoring system I am going to propose:

With the old system, 10 points were reserved for correct winner and 20 for the point difference. Hypothetically:

Team A beats Team B by 1.

User WWW predicts Team A to win by 21, User QQQ predicts Team B to win by 1.

So according to the rules, User WWW will get 10 points only for right predicted winner and User QQQ 18 points for the point difference only! This simply does not make sense to me, no matter how far from the real result User WWW was. Right predicted winner is still right predicted winner. And it is possible that clear favorites may struggle and win by 1 instead by 21.

With new system I am proposing, 15 points are reserved for correct winner and 15 points the point difference. In the case from the above hypothetical prediction User WWW would get 15 points and User QQQ will get 13 points. I think both sides should be satisfied.

What is your opinion on this?

4 hours ago, dcro said:

I agree with the proposal. Maybe just 20+20 could be used instead of 15+15? Just to allow a bit more differentiation when it comes to the margin predictions.

It could be better option if there is greater number of matches where point differences go around and above 15 points... Are there let's say, more than 10 such matches? (I assume USA is going to take part in at least 5 such matches :d)

Il 5/9/2018 Alle 20:48, Wanderer ha scritto:

It could be better option if there is greater number of matches where point differences go around and above 15 points... Are there let's say, more than 10 such matches? (I assume USA is going to take part in at least 5 such matches :d)

surely there will be a lot of those games...especially in the group stage, blowouts will be the normal rule...close games the exception...

Edited by phelps