website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

Il 5/9/2018 Alle 16:18, Wanderer ha scritto:

Women's basketball world cup prediction contest is not opened yet, but before I open it I wanted to see whether you agree (more or less) with the scoring system I am going to propose:

With the old system, 10 points were reserved for correct winner and 20 for the point difference. Hypothetically:

Team A beats Team B by 1.

User WWW predicts Team A to win by 21, User QQQ predicts Team B to win by 1.

So according to the rules, User WWW will get 10 points only for right predicted winner and User QQQ 18 points for the point difference only! This simply does not make sense to me, no matter how far from the real result User WWW was. Right predicted winner is still right predicted winner. And it is possible that clear favorites may struggle and win by 1 instead by 21.

With new system I am proposing, 15 points are reserved for correct winner and 15 points the point difference. In the case from the above hypothetical prediction User WWW would get 15 points and User QQQ will get 13 points. I think both sides should be satisfied.

What is your opinion on this?

I agree with the proposal 15+15

On 5-9-2018 at 16:18, Wanderer said:

Women's basketball world cup prediction contest is not opened yet, but before I open it I wanted to see whether you agree (more or less) with the scoring system I am going to propose:

With the old system, 10 points were reserved for correct winner and 20 for the point difference. Hypothetically:

Team A beats Team B by 1.

User WWW predicts Team A to win by 21, User QQQ predicts Team B to win by 1.

So according to the rules, User WWW will get 10 points only for right predicted winner and User QQQ 18 points for the point difference only! This simply does not make sense to me, no matter how far from the real result User WWW was. Right predicted winner is still right predicted winner. And it is possible that clear favorites may struggle and win by 1 instead by 21.

With new system I am proposing, 15 points are reserved for correct winner and 15 points the point difference. In the case from the above hypothetical prediction User WWW would get 15 points and User QQQ will get 13 points. I think both sides should be satisfied.

What is your opinion on this?

I think 15 for the winner and 15 maximum for points difference is still out of balance, but better than the old system.

No matter the results and point differences, someone who predicted the correct winner should always have more points than someone who predicted the wrong winner.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I think 15 for the winner and 15 maximum for points difference is still out of balance, but better than the old system.

No matter the results and point differences, someone who predicted the correct winner should always have more points than someone who predicted the wrong winner.

That's why we'll finally make a deal at the end of this year for the particular scoring systems. If there is no sufficient discussion, I'll make decision unilaterally :d 

1 hour ago, Pablita said:

Done rowing prediction, for the next time is it possible to have also the acronym? I'm still not sure if Men's pair is really M2- that is what I predict or M2+

I cannot stress how much I agree with this :d 

Every time I am writing something about rowing or in this case doing predictions, I have to open two extra pages just to know what M2+ or LW4x or something is :p (even worse in the case of writing something in Dutch, then I have to translate it to Dutch too :p )

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Very happy to see so many contenders in vollyeball!

We have 3 contests in a row and it's difficult to predict in which I'm going to get the best result. If I have to bet on my performance I'd say that I'm going to get more points in horses and less in volley because in the latter I'm too emotionally involved (go Italy) :p