website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

UK policy  on invites by world ranking

UKA Selection Standard and invite by virtue of World Ranking

In relation to athletes who do not achieve a World Athletics Qualification Standard but
do achieve a UKA Selection Standard, they will be eligible for consideration for
selection if they are allocated an invite by virtue of their World Ranking in their event.
Where there is no UKA Selection Standard in the following table, invites from World
Athletics will not be accepted in these events. The UKA Selection Standards are as
follows:

Men Event Women
10.02 100m 11.10
N/A 200m N/A
N/A 400m N/A
N/A 800m N/A
N/A 1500m (mile standard) N/A
N/A 5000m N/A
27:20.00 10,000m 31:10.00
8:18.50 3,000m SC N/A
13.31 110/100mH 12.80
N/A 400mH N/A
2.29 HJ 1.94
5.74 PV 4.61
8.15 LJ 6.75
17.05 TJ 14.41
21.00 SP 18.67
65.81 DT 63.50
77.50 HT 72.36
83.79 JT 62.83
8284 CE 6260

Qualification via UKA Selection Standard & World Ranking Invite Following the end of the World Athletics qualification period on 30 June 2024, World Athletics will publish a list of athletes who have not achieved a World Athletics Qualification Standard for each event within the qualification period, but who will be eligible for consideration of selection by virtue of their World Ranking position. a. If places are still available after round 3, the Selection Panel will consider Eligible Athletes who have achieved the UKA Selection Standard and receive an invite by virtue of their World Ranking position. b. The Selection Panel is not obliged to fill all remaining places. c. If more athletes satisfy the criteria outlined in paragraph 20.a above than there are places available, athletes will be selected based on the Selection Panel’s consideration of a combination of the following criteria. The criteria below are not listed in priority order, may be given unequal weight and/or may be disregarded: i. The number of times UKA Selection Standards achieved in 2024 outdoor season; ii. 2024 Season’s Best; iii. 2024 World rankings; iv. World Athletics season top lists (three per nation); v. Performance at the Trials; vi. Current form and performance consistency; vii. Head-to-heads within the qualification period; viii. Previous major championship history; ix. Injury/illness status; x. Impact on medal winning potential in relay teams; and xi. Any other factors the Selection Panel deem relevant.

Usually people say it's a matter of costs (I don't believe it), but given that at the Olympics accomodation for athletes and a certain number of personnel is provided by the organization, what do NOCs/National Federations have to pay to send an athlete a part from the travel?

Edited by Faramir

36 minutes ago, Faramir said:

Usually people say it's a matter of costs (I don't believe it), but given that at the Olympics accomodation for athletes and a certain number of personnel is provided by the organization, what do NOCs/National Federations have to pay to send an athlete a part from the travel?

Not that I agree with their policies, but I think it’s more a case of federations wanting to focus all their resources (coaches, training camps, masseuses, back up admin staff etc etc) on those with chances of medals and finals than spreading them out to athletes without any hope of progression 

There’s obviously a dollar/euro/pound cost involved, but the countries who set extra barriers to Olympic qualification are generally quite wealthy so I don’t think that’s the overriding issue (even if they claim it is)

7 minutes ago, dodge said:

Not that I agree with their policies, but I think it’s more a case of federations wanting to focus all their resources (coaches, training camps, masseuses, back up admin staff etc etc) on those with chances of medals and finals than spreading them out to athletes without any hope of progression 

There’s obviously a dollar/euro/pound cost involved, but the countries who set extra barriers to Olympic qualification are generally quite wealthy so I don’t think that’s the overriding issue (even if they claim it is)

There is also a discussion (at least in France) about some athletes only happy to be there and somehow dragging the overall focus down. It is also said that harder qualification standards is helping athletes overachieving.

I honestly think that both arguments are BS, and that if a top athlete needs this kind of conditions to achieve anything he really is not a top athlete to begin with.

:VEN Yulimar Rojas is set to be the flagbearer for Venezuela in the opening ceremony. However, she's injured with ¿Aquiles? and can't compete. So I'm very sorry for the woman in the World Rankings place #33 cause she's going to be missing the Olympics cause a country decided to fly an athlete to Paris for a publicity stunt and not competition.