website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

I don't understand how these countries can do that to their athletes. If the Hellenic Olympic Committee did that, I'd show up outside their offices and start World War III.

Because some advanced countries are not fond of sending "tourists" (a nice Balkan term :p) to big events. They have enough sporting success, that bringing people only for participation is not worth it in their eyes. They could spare on finances, organization, logistics etc.

For smaller countries this seems like a no brainer, as their athletes are usually far in between, so any additional name is good for some interest. Though i've read many comments in BG in the last decade about "why are we sending tourists to these events, if they are going to finish 5 from to bottom. Just so they can have a paid excursion". 

For me, if you have fulfilled the IOC's standards, then you should go, but i can see, why some countries don't want to fully accept this approach.

29 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Because some advanced countries are not fond of sending "tourists" (a nice Balkan term :p) to big events. They have enough sporting success, that bringing people only for participation is not worth it in their eyes. They could spare on finances, organization, logistics etc.

For smaller countries this seems like a no brainer, as their athletes are usually far in between, so any additional name is good for some interest. Though i've read many comments in BG in the last decade about "why are we sending tourists to these events, if they are going to finish 5 from to bottom. Just so they can have a paid excursion". 

For me, if you have fulfilled the IOC's standards, then you should go, but i can see, why some countries don't want to fully accept this approach.

Oh we have plenty of that in Greece as well. People said that about our football team at Euro 2012 and 2014 FIFA World Cup. Meanwhile our team actually made the knockout stages and some Greeks still complained that we sucked :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

There's almost no such thing as tourists that can qualify to the Olympics anymore. Skiing is the only sport I can think of where mediocre athletes from a big country can still qualify, outside of a few edge cases for some continental quotas.

Someone is always going to finish last, but when only 45 athletes can qualify in the 1500m you're a pretty dang good athlete even if you get the last ranking spot.

I think in this era where there are very tight qualification standards it doesn't make a lot of sense to have internal standards that are harder than the official qualification standard (outside of continental quotas, some of whom do in fact go to athletes that are genuinely not competitive)

Edited by NearPup

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Oh, i did not know that 🇨🇿 is Balkan 😀 we use this term too :-)

Lucky that this idea has only some few fans. Others and mainly all czech federations send all athletes to everywhere.