website statistics

Speed Skating 2021 - 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

• 1 month later...

I knew that former US speed skater - Silver in the Relay at Sochi - Eddie Alvarez had quit skating to play pro baseball.  Although he has mostly been in the minor leagues, he has had a few MLB starts.  Did not realise until just this minute that he is currently playing for the USA in the Tokyo Baseball Final!  

• 1 month later...

Apparently a Chinese guy posted a 33.83 500m in Beijing (sea-level!) today (?) :lol: 

Could be Gao Tingyu, but not sure. @Vic Liu Could that be the name listed in 1st there?

Just to clarify: 33.83 would be truly insane on a non-altitude track. Shinhama's 34.07 in Heerenveen is already considered an insane outlier...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Meanwhile, the Four Continents Championships got cancelled again. It was supposed to be held in Japan lol

I think this could be the final nail in the coffin of this event which took place only once in Wisconsin of all places. :wacko:

I hope not, and just be another victim of COVID/Japanese xenophobia.

55 minutes ago, dcro said:

Meanwhile, the Four Continents Championships got cancelled again. It was supposed to be held in Japan lol

I think this could be the final nail in the coffin of this event which took place only once in Wisconsin of all places. :wacko:

The whatnow? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Apparently a Chinese guy posted a 33.83 500m in Beijing (sea-level!) today (?) :lol: 

Could be Gao Tingyu, but not sure. @Vic Liu Could that be the name listed in 1st there?

Just to clarify: 33.83 would be truly insane on a non-altitude track. Shinhama's 34.07 in Heerenveen is already considered an insane outlier...

It's Gao Tingyu. It's held in Urumqi with round 800m-1000m altitude, still a good result though.

8 hours ago, dcro said:

:yikes:

Ah, that slightly refreshes the memory and also reminds me why this probably won't be missed a whole lot in terms of overall quality :p 

Uuuugh just go back to having the events in separate weekends, as had been succesfully the case for many years:wall: 

There is just no single valid reason for the nonsense that is combining these two events.