website statistics
17 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, Huber was just not allowed to go for it I guess, he basically had that in the bag if he were allowed to keep going :d 

I think that's exactly the kind of move that could work at the YOG. Yang :CHN pulled it off in the short track 1500m.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2024
Posted (edited)

I don't mind the timed distances really. It helps distinguish the discipline from short track and inline. I just think they shouldn't use individual times as the barometer for every event. It's okay to have some head-to-head stuff too.

The mass start remains one of the dumbest (in my opinion) formatted events in international sports. It should a straight race, or use a points format similar to inline skating or track cycling. I don't think speed skating needs a elimination race.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Yeah, but even in the full Summer Olympics second Monday is always a slow day.

Right, and I'm fine with a slow day here or there in schedule (everyone needs to catch their breathe after all, and logistics needs to be considered), but two in a row really kills the pace and flow of the schedule.

I like the "two wave" accommodations scheme, but the last two days have felt a bit empty scheduling wise. I could live with one slow day, but two days like this seems a little excessive.

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Meanwhile Sonnekalb of course won the men's mass start, but it was a nice sprint for the medals.

Sonnekalb :GER raced that to near perfection in my opinion (considering his strengths). I still can't figure out what Huber :GER was doing? I think he should have just committed to that move, but it looked like the coaches told him to back off for Sonnekalb (which is lame, since that situation almost certainly benefits him too).

Rodrigues :POR likely got the best result for her NOC at a winter YOG (6th), but I'll check all the NOCs when the Games are finished.

7 hours ago, hckošice said:

Event 44/81

SSK.png

SPEED SKATING

Mixed Team Relay
Final Results

:CHN China
Liu Yunqi
Pan Baoshuo
3:11.74

:KOR South Korea
Lim Lee-Won
Heo Se-Ok
3:11.78

:NED Netherlands
Angel Daleman
Sem Spruit
3:12.10

Full Final Result HERE

"DQ team GER: Rule 279.3 - Not wearing timekeeping equipment" - Rough way to get DSQ. They looked pretty good in their heat too :(

Deep cut reference here, but they played a song in the speed skating oval just now, and this is what came to mind (I think they were playing a remix) @Dragon @Grassmarket @Mkbw50:

I don't mind the actual format in the speed skating Mixed Relay, there's certainly been worse events created, but the competition format needs to be tweaked. I don't like the qualification from heats being based strictly on time. Speed Skating's obsession with time is just strange to me as someone who enjoys short track and inline skating. I don't mind time deciding the individual distances (variety is important to me), but things like the Team Pursuit or Mixed Relay should be head-to-head racing. I would be fine with the three heat winners and fastest runner-up advancing to the final as a compromise.

Also, :KOR advancing despite a very suspect incident with :POL (which cost them any chance of advancing) hasn't left me feeling great about this event. The replay isn't definitive, but it didn't look great for :KOR (in my opinion).

Yaroslav Lavreniuk :UKR after winning a silver medal in skeleton yesterday - "I am happy because everybody who stands behind me is proud of me. My father is proud of me and the rest of my family are proud of me and that is important. I’m trying to be a good son and a good athlete."

I don't have much to say about his statement, I just thought it was one of the better quotes I've read on the news service.

:NEP finished last in both GS events, but its nice they sent representatives to the Games :yes

Mildly interesting the 1st Run leader in both the men's and women's GS has finished with a DNF :mumble:

:ITA with another gold medal in biathlon. Has there been a day where they didn't win a gold medal?

51 minutes ago, Josh said:

:UAE Almuhairi DNS in girl’s slopestyle snowboarding :cry:

She's attempting to take a run now :cheer:

37 minutes ago, Josh said:

Astridge :UAE is a DNS in the men's GS as well :(

:ITA:CZE leading by three minutes(!) over the rest of the field in the biathlon relay at the second exchange :yikes:

Spitalar :SLO went 0/5 on her second shooting leg, and then 0/3 with the extra bullets. I think that's the first time I've ever seen that happen.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Josh said:

They are referring to the events as "men's and women's" now it seems :dunno:

P.S. Please leave your edit for context. We don't need to accidentally fall down a gender debate rabbithole :zip:

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted (edited)

:CAN needed to return to their safe space, so its 4th for them in the relay :p

Edited by Olympian1010

:HUN:KAZ suffer solo crashes in the second semifinal, so all the remaining teams had to do was not fall to make the A Final :facepalm:

:KOR:NED have separate solo crashes while in lead of the short track relay (by a great margin), :JPN:USA through by virtue of not falling. Absolute shock :yikes:

Daleman :NED can't catch a break (even when she stays on her feet).

16 minutes ago, Josh said:

@Olympian1010 @intoronto what are the tiebreakers if two teams have the same record (for the third spot) in mixed curling?

- If two or more teams are tied, the head to head results between those teams

- If the ties remain, the better DSC ranking will decide the rank

- If the ties remain, the tie will be resolved by WCF rules

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

WOMEN´S ICE HOCKEY 3vs3 TOURNAMENT

8. :NED 0

:NED with a final goal difference of -114 :surprise:

Posted (edited)

With Lourimi :TUN taking the silver in monobob, each continental zone in the Olympic Movement now has a medal at the Games. This is only the second time that has happened at the Winter YOG (Innsbruck 2012 being the other). Plus, South America even joined in on the fun this time :cool:

Edited by Olympian1010