website statistics
28 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

I decided to pay for a proper VPN and install CBC Gem (free) on my TV. Quite good for me. You can simply select the date and watch any missed events.

The only missing thing is the medal ceremonies

Came here to suggest this.  They've improves since Tokyo, now you can simply click on "watch replays" at the top of their main page and get to the videos without scrolling through spoilers. 

cbc.ca/olympics (have to be in Canada, but free from there).  

Simply an amazing and unexpected experience.  I was put on the list over 2 months ago, but I was so afraid to say anything to anyone because in these times, and living in China especially, things can change so fast.  Our group got purged so much over the weeks to leave only a few out of dozens, and I'm so grateful I was left at the end.  I truly never expected going to an Olympic Ceremony in my life.  It makes not being able to leave the city (never mind the country!) for so long worth it.  

Right now I'm on the list for some other stuff, but again I'm too scared to get into too much detail, haha.  Don't want to jinx it.  I didn't tell anyone except one family member about this until the night before.  Let me tell you, my phone has been blowing up ever since.  

I want to say, the whole process was smooth and efficient (surprising since we're dealing two of the biggest bureaucracies in the world!).  Everyone in the group that got us there was incredibly helpful and friendly, and then last night the volunteers were amazing and so full of energy.  One basic security check, and then not much else.  I cannot believe how smooth everything was.  

We were told very strict rules about what to wear, and what we couldn't bring but in the end none of that really held true.  I was so spare with my phone because they told us no battery packs, but it turned out it was fine.  We were told no flags or national symbols, but I wore my Canada gear and flags with pride.  It was really cold, though, which we were definitely prepared for.  

The parade of nations was, as always, a highlight.  Various sections and rows going nuts for their countries.  I spared no embarrassment screaming for the Canadians.  Everything else seemed really fast.  It was 2.5 hours, but felt shorter.  It also felt more grand, but yet "smaller" in the stadium.  I mean, we had awesome seats pretty much below Xi and Bach so we were pretty much surface level and felt almost part of the show.  We were also every other seat due to covid, which was awesome to have that extra room.  Saying it was "small" is not an insult, I mean I felt part of it rather than watching it.  

Overall, amazing.  What else is there to say?  I know it was scaled back due to Covid, but without Covid I wouldn't have ever been there.  I'm still processing it, and I'm glad I can share it with everyone interested here.  

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News
Posted
3 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Aren't you able to subscribe to the Eurosport Player? The cost isn't that big for one month, and you won't have to worry of missing anything.

You can also get a VPN and "be" in Canada to watch on CBC.  Astrill is $20 for a month.  

On 1/21/2022 at 2:23 PM, Vic Liu said:

Beijing WOG opening ceremony director Zhang Yimou said during an interview yesterday he hopes the ceremony will be less than 100 minutes, minimalist but classic.

We have been given information that the OC may be less than an hour long total.  I'm not even sure there will be a parade of nations (the best part!).  All information points to it being very, very low key.  I wonder if some of it might be virtual given how bare bones the in-person seems to be.  

Edit: It has been clarified that the OC will be about 100 minutes.  

7 hours ago, NearPup said:

Canada's best medal chance outside of the team event is in ice dance. It's an extremely close fight for the bronze medal in ice dance between Giles / Poirier and the top two American pairs. If Canada doesn't get a medal in the team event (I'd say Japan is the slight favourite for bronze, but Canada can win a medal if everyone performs well) I think Giles and Poirier will be the clear sentimental favourite to win bronze in ice dance, and in ice dance things like that matter when two or more teams are essentially evenly matches (see also: Virtue and Moir in Pyeongchang, who were undoubtedly helped by the crowd and by being drawn last in the free dance).

Yes, sorry, I meant ice dance, not pairs.  I just think, "two skaters".  

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Alpine, Biathlon, Cross country, Ski jumping and luge are safe bets for 0. Skeleton has a very outside shot in the women's event.

Curling: 3; I expect all 3 to medal. Olympic experience will go a long way yo help the teams.

Hockey: 2; both teams should medal

Snowboarding: Grandin, big air and slopestyle for men. One woman for men is also not out of the question. 4

Freestyle skiing: Men's moguls, ski cross in both genders, half pipe men, couple of others. Expecting around 5 here 

Long track: women's team pursuit, men's 500, women's mass start. The men's long distance also intrigue me maybe a medal. 4 medals.

Short track: hard to predict. I'll go with 4 medals.

Bobsleigh: two man and four man. 2 medals.

Figure skating: one bronze in the team event. 1 medal.

So around 25. I'd be really happy if one of the first 6 sports listed pull of a medal too.

The first part (0 medals) I agree with.

Curling (3) Of course we expect three medals, preferably three golds. 

Hockey(2) Same.

Snowboarding: Grandin, big air and slopestyle for men. One woman for men is also not out of the question. 4

Are you having a stroke?  :d

Snowboarding (3-8): Men's Slopstyle and Big Air could sweep.  They could also not get any medals. 

Women's slopestyle and Big Air: 0-2

Boarder cross: 0-3

Free Ski (5-7): Men's moguls, women's and men's halfpipe, ski cross always comes through (Canadian women have won every gold in this event since it started, and 5/9 medals).  Team Arials has a chance.  Ski big air, let's see what happens.  Canada has topped the Free ski the last two Olympics, and always been top-2.

Speed skating (5-8): I'm sure of Men's 500, Women's Pursuit, Women's Mass Start.  Then some mix of Men's 5000, 10000, Men's Pursuit, Women's 3000, 5000.

Short Track (2-6): I agree, hard to predict.  Canada should be in every final.  

Bobsled (2-3): Justin Kripps should get up on the podium at least in one of his events, if not both.  Women could pull out another one or two.  

Figure Skating (0-1): Probably Canada's first blank in figure skating since 1980.  The only hope is in Pairs.  A distant hope.  But hey, distant hopes came though a few times for us in this sport, like in 2006.  

I predict 25-32 medals, with around 8-10 golds.  It's a wide range because a lot of these sports (free ski, snowboard, short track) can be decided on one slip.  

For most Canadians, it comes down to the success of our hockey and curling teams.  In 2014 it was 4/4 golds.  In 2018 we got a gold, silver and bronze out of the 5.  First time without a traditional curling medal.  Not good.  Not tolerated again.  

Posted
1 hour ago, NearPup said:

This is approaching Vancouver levels of snow.

Haha.  Unlike Vancouver it certainly is cold enough to snow here, it's just so dry.  It's still snowing now and it's supposed to keep going until tomorrow.  But it'll be gone in a few days.  

Posted
1 hour ago, NearPup said:

This is approaching Vancouver levels of snow.

Haha.  Unlike Vancouver it certainly is cold enough to snow here, it's just so dry.  It's still snowing now and it's supposed to keep going until tomorrow.  But it'll be gone in a few days.  

Posted
10 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

So ppl from other provinces will most likely not be allowed in the stands? Even though I obtained the tickets somehow, I would not be allowed to enter Beijing or maybe later the stadium?

I don't know.  I was told you had to be in Beijing for 14 days before and after the event you are attending, self-reporting with tests.  If you already have tickets then maybe there are exceptions, but even being in Beijing we'll see what these new cases here does to everything.  I've learned never to expect nice things the last 2 years.  

Posted
17 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Yeah, I totally get it. You know, but if you look at Tokyo Games, mostly spectators were the team members who weren't competing that day ...... If Beijing wants to extend this, they need to consider more possibilities ...... If not school, then it should be some partners and sponsors and their family members but it still not as high amount as they might need. I am afraid the athmosphere will be dead again .....

I can't say too much right now, but there are things happening through various businesses and organizations to get people in the stands, including non-Chinese spectators.  You have to be in Beijing, and not leave Beijing, as well as other restrictions, but there is no shortage of interest.  Things can change, especially with this new case in the city, but having a diverse audience seems to be one of their priorities.  

Posted

Beijing has its first reported case of Omicron, specifically in the district I live in (Haidian).  

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/beijing-covid-19-first-local-omicron-case-china-outbreaks-2437546

Schools will go online this week (and the next if they're still not on Lunar New Year break).  The LNY break will also be extended to cover the whole Olympics.  

Haidian is in the western part of the city, and will host several events like short track, figure skating, some of the hockey matches and big air competitions.  

Beijing instituted a rule in December that if you visited any city or area that ends up having a case in the last 14 days you would not be allowed to re-enter the capital.  If you already returned, you must self-quarantine immediately at home.  I had some friends that were forced to do that after returning from Xi'an, which has been on lockdown for several weeks now.  

I went shopping to stock up today and hope we don't end up like Xi'an or the other cities currently on lockdown. Right now it's just the one case, so fingers crossed it won't get worse.  

On 1/5/2022 at 11:45 PM, heywoodu said:

For what it's worth: everyone travelling to the Games (specifically athletes and staff, of course) will have to depart from a pre-accepted 'hub'. So far, those are only Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Singapore, and entry into China can only be via Beijing.

Meaning every single athlete and coach will have a direct Paris - Beijing, Hong Kong - Beijing, Singapore - Beijing or Tokyo - Beijing flight, any other departure location is not possible so far.

Two negative tests are needed, one 96 hours before departure and one max 72 hours before departure, it must be done in a laboratory 'accredited by China'.

Interesting.  When I came to China in October 2020 Beijing just opened up direct flights and Toronto was one of them (lucky for me).  There were only a couple of other cities at the time, but I know Tokyo was not one of them.  Just one or two in Europe, and maybe HK, but not any in the US.  

HK being an approved hub is interesting because they have the same quarantine rules as the Mainland, in that you have to do minimum 2 weeks in a government approved quarantine hotel (might be up to 3 weeks now).  AFAIK, HK is not allowing layover flights either, so using that as your entry into Beijing would be unfeasible for Olympians.  

It is still very hard to find flights in and out of China, especially Beijing, and they are incredibly expensive.  I would imagine most NOCs would charter flights, that would make more sense.