website statistics
2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

It's a complex matter and everyone will have a different opinion about it. On one hand, I would like all nations and territories to have the same kind of treatment from the IOC, but on the other hand it's important to be sensible and avoid unnecessary conflicts given the recent history in the region, so it's best to just let it slide and think about other things.

But it’s not special treatment from the IOC really. If someone is a citizen of, say, Brazil or Netherlands or Malta or whoever they can represent them

That’s how it works for Ireland and GB. The people of Northern Ireland are entitled to citizenship of both and that’s that really.

It’s nothing new 

1 minute ago, Khadidja Aisha said:

In oneway i understand, the practical way, but not moraly,bescause if you say onesthat you are brittish citiuzen you suddently become irish, becausethen you useacitizenchip to get faors. It is not may eay to act.

You don’t understand. So I’d worry about other things if I was you. 

3 minutes ago, Khadidja Aisha said:

Please i have aqiestion, hwcan an irish atlet sometimescompeteas brottish andsometimes as an irish, dont understand14 in the irish team haecompeted in commonealth games, then they becom northern irish.

You keep asking about this and to be honest, I’m not sure you will ever understand it. I’m not sure how much simpler I can break it down for you 

Athletes from Northern Ireland have a right to citizenship of both GB and Ireland. They can compete for either in the Olympics. 

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Uniforms
Posted
8 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Yes I love it too, would love to get my hands on one :) 

The selection the sell on their website is pretty poor. Some of the non-adidas stuff is down right awful too

44 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

MDZ3N1F.png

Still wondering, what happens if - say - the local bakery from an athletes' town who sponsors him/her posts "Congratulations on a great result in Japan!" and "Proud of Athlete, you've represented your country very well!"? Does the IOC have some sort of power to force said local bakery to do anything?

No, but the athletes may be punished. 

In reality, a local baker in Ireland or the Netherlands or wherever posting it won’t even be noticed. They’re more worried about adidas or nike and the major global marketers

7 minutes ago, Khadidja Aisha said:

Pleasecan anyonefrom GreatBritain correct me if i am weong, the theams in Rugby andand Hocky isent it all Ireland,, not Ulster och freestaststeam, and it will betreeoristeam.

I’m not sure what you’re asking but I suspect you’re asking about the make of the British and Irish rugby and hockey teams? 

People from Northern Ireland are included in the hockey squads for both Ireland and GB

There are no people from Northern Ireland in either rugby squad, but Max McFarland of GB is an Irish citizen and qualified for Scotland through his grandfather. 

Also, none of this matters. 

I think they may have told the athletes concerned and the relevant bodies. They’re just making it as vague as possible to keep the athletes concerned involved as much as possible. It’s nice for them to feel part of the squad I’d imagine

50 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Yes and Athletics Ireland named 6 for our mixed relay with no mention who the reserves are, just that the team will be 4 of those 6. So I'm thinking those are 6 official quotas.

If you count the athletes named though they name 22 individual quotas (including Phil Healy) but the OFI say there’s a team of 25

So they’ve named a 4 person relay team of Healy + 3 others with 2 alternates

19 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Pan-European Eurosport 1 always shows the same feed in every country. Eurosport 2, as mentioned, can vary in programming depending in regional rights/interests. 

This is not true. In the UK (and by extension Ireland), they have their own Eurosport 1 feed too 

there’s obviously some common programming but it’s definitely a specific UK fees

Team Ireland :IRL is nearing completion. We are currently at 91  (without reserves in rugby and hockey) with athletics still to be added: 

Hockey 16 (+3 reserves), Rowing 13, Rugby 12 (+1 reserve), Swimming 9, boxing 7, cycling 7 (track 4, road 3), equestrian 7 (eventing 3, jumping 3, dressage 1), golf 4, sailing 3, diving 2, triathlon 2, gymnastics 2, judo 2, canoe slalom 1, shooting 1, modern pentathlon 1, badminton 1, taekwondo 1

Athletics will be likely in the 26-30 range and will be confirmed soon

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

Is :ISL Iceland seriously reduced to 3 athletes? Less than San Marino, Liechtenstein and Monaco??

Thank God they will be eligible for the Tripartite spots from now on...

They had 28 in London including a relay team in Swimming and a mens handball team (who of course won  silver in 2008). it's crazy to see only 3 universal spots this time round

4 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Also, lol, M4 Sport has the Archery ranking rounds listed as a live broadcast on Day 0. I wonder if they forgot that the ranking rounds never have a live feed. (or maybe they will get a live feed this year?) 

I find it hard to imagine that there'll be any action this year without a live feed.  There mightn't be many channels showing it but it'll have a live feed for someone!