website statistics
1 hour ago, avlar said:

I have a question )

What is the status of the tournament "Swim Wars" which took place on the 27-28th of April in Banja Luka?

Russians sent there almost all their stars won almost all gold without neutral status because it was c club tournament (and it looks like it was paid by russians too).

Will their times at this tournament taken into account as Olympic qualification?

There was an eligible meet during those days in Banja Luka, but it's called the April 22nd International Swim Meet. Was this the same event?

3 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Would be interesting to have a ranking of nations with the most athletes under the A standard. I was quite surprised to see that Japan has clearly more athletes under the A standard than GB.

Yeah, despite not completely translating into medals, Japan has quite a bit of depth in swimming. I wouldn't be surprised if they are a clear third behind the United States and Australia in such a list.

53 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

:CAN 2024 Canadian Swimming Open - Toronto (CAN) :CAN

April 10th - April 13th 2024

Meet Results

The following new OQTs were achieved

Men's 50m Freestyle

:CRO Jere Hribar

Women's 100m Backstroke

:CAN Maggie Mac Neil

:CAN Summer McIntosh

Women's 100m Butterfly

:CAN Summer McIntosh

I believe that makes 9/14 individual events McIntosh has reached the OQT in.

She could easily make the 1500m freestyle if she ever decides to compete in it, but I doubt she will. She's more realistically to get the 100m freestyle or maybe 200m breaststroke if she decides she wants to practice those strokes again.

3 hours ago, prso1000 said:

Two examples where you would never qualify without continental quotas: taekwondo and volleyball (w). Probably you would still make 20 (just a guess) but still it means you are represented in maybe up to 8 sports where you don’t deserve to be. Even 1 sport is too much. 

edit: taekwondo was wrong, forgot about Skylar. 

Women's volleyball is another bad example. Even with continental spots the women have not qualified unless Canada or the United States were host. Funny, enough 2024 is our best chance in a long time and if we qualify it won't be because of a continental spot.

After a more in-depth search, I believe only football and shooting would be missed. 26/32 sports is still more than most nations.

Even if Canada was in Europe, we'd still be in most sports. Like easily 20+, likely around 25. Off the top of my head, we'd probably fail to qualify in shooting and football. Among disciplines we'd probably miss open water swimming and canoe slalom. Everything else we'd have a representative. Yes, Canada benefits from not being in Europe, but we are still good at qualifying.

24 minutes ago, NearPup said:

This made some sense back when the OQTs were easy, but... they really aren't anymore.

I know money can be an issue for nations, but if it wasn't I would try to have a representative in each event if possible. That goes for all sports.

While Canada isn't a top 10 nation on the medal table, our diversity in sports puts us in the top 10. We are on pace in appearing in at least 28/32 sports and 41/47 disciplines. That wouldn't happen if we decided that since we aren't great at shooting, no one should go.

While I understand (but still dislike) having a specific meet or meets to achieve the OQT, these nations which create even harder times is ridiculous. It's not like FINA made the OQT easy to get either.

Imagine if Japan was as strict in other sports as it is in swimming, their team would be like 50-75 athletes rather than the near 300 they would normally get.

18 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

World Aquatics seems to imply the opposite in their website so it almost seems like they can compete in more than 2 Olympics if they are under the age of 30.

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 21.31.33.png

The wording makes no sense since as you said, the second statement means athletes under the age of 30 would be allowed to compete in more than 2 Olympics, which is obviously not the intention by World Aquatics or else they wouldn't have written the first statement. It's almost a paradox.

I think they meant "and" instead of "or"

Edited by JoshMartini007

The wording is a bit awkward.

It's written that athletes under the age of 30 can only compete in two Olympics through universality. It's then implied that over 30 year old athletes can compete in more Olympics.

It's a dumb rule in my opinion and hurts a small handful of athletes in their mid to late 20s who may be excluded during what may have been their peak Olympics

1 hour ago, kungshamra71 said:

Swimming is my favourite sport since forever, i have been following this sport since the amazing Sydney 2000 games and the great Ian Thorpe, and have even went to Budapest in 2017 only to be able to watch a WC live for the first time, and, with the poor support and attention this sport has in my country, I never thought I could live to see the day my anthem would play in the World Championship.

Congratulations. Hopefully he can improve in his other events. Perhaps he can be a medal threat at the Olympics this year or even in 2028.

9 minutes ago, Adriano said:

No it's  a rule that give exception for this kind of nation to send relay

That's a new rule.

It's up to World Aquatics to decide, but I'm glad the option is in place. In the past, nations were forced to decline a quota because their swim team was too small.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but Slovenia needs either one more person to get an OQT or qualify another relay or else they are at risk of losing the  relay quota. This is because they have only qualified one woman and qualifying one relay only gives you 2 relay-only athletes so they won't have enough athletes to form a relay.

Same thing with Serbia on the men's side.

Edited by JoshMartini007

Mixed 4x100m Medley

Qualified - :CHN:AUS:USA 

Qualifying Position - :NED:GBR:CAN:JPN:GER:SWE:FRA:ITA:POL:KOR:GRE:ISR:BRA 

Challengers - :ESP:SGP:KAZ:HUN:MEX:HKG:PHI:THA:RSA:SVK :DOM :LTU :BAH :ARM :MGL :BRN :CZE :POR :IND :UGA :TAN :FSM :GUM :MDV :COK :KEN :MKD

Quite the number of nations competing, but I don't see anyone outside the top 4 challenging and that's being generous. Neither Israel not Brazil are competing here so their results must stand if they want to qualify.

Women's 4x100m Freestyle

Qualified - :AUS:USA:CHN 

Qualifying Position - :GBR:SWE:NED:CAN:JPN:ITA:FRA:BRA:HKG:HUN:DEN:IRL:ESP 

Challengers - :RSA:LTU:SGP:PHI:POL:KOR:SRB:SLO:TPE 

While no one jumps out as the favourite to challenge (I think the top 5 all have a chance), there's a good chance to overtake Spain, especially since they aren't competing here. Denmark and Ireland are at risk, but it would take a very strong swim by the challengers to be overtaken.

Women's 4x200m Freestyle

Qualified - :AUS :USA :CHN

Qualifying Position - :GBR :CAN :NED :HUN :BRA :JPN :ISR :NZL :ITA :GER :ESP :KOR :AUT

Challengers - :FRA :HKG :BEL :RSA :TUR :PHI :GRE :SLO

France and Hong Kong are the big challengers. I suspect South Korea will overtake Spain meaning they and Austria are the most at risk of missing the Olympics

Women's 4x100m Medley

Qualified - :USA :AUS :CAN

Qualifying Position - :CHN :SWE :JPN :NED :FRA :GBR :POL :ITA :GER :IRL :DEN :BEL :HKG

Challengers - :KOR :ESP :GRE :RSA :MEX :SGP :POR :PHI :KAZ :TPE :LTU :HUN :SVK :SLO

South Korea and Spain are the biggest challengers. I suspect Hong Kong will improve their time meaning Denmark and Belgium will be at most risk of dropping off.

Relay Olympic Qualification Preview

Men's 4x100m Freestyle

Qualified - :AUS:ITA:USA 

Qualifying Position - :CHN:CAN:BRA:ESP:ISR:GER:SRB:HUN:FRA:JPN:POL:GRE:SWE 

Challengers - :KOR:SGP:MEX:LTU:VIE:THA:GBR:BUL:SVK 

The big challenger is Great Britain, unless they DSQ again they will likely move into a qualifying position. South Korea and Singapore will also challenge. While the bottom three are in the most dangerous position, they aren't too far off from the rest of the nations.

Men's 4x200m Freestyle

Qualified - :GBR :USA :AUS

Qualifying Position - :FRA :ITA :KOR :GER :BRA :JPN :ISR :CHN :CAN :ESP :SUI :HUN :THA

Challengers - :SGP :VIE :POL :MEX :LTU :BUL :GRE

Thailand's spot is by far the weakest and is essentially guaranteed to lose it. Their spot will be challenged by Singapore, Poland and Mexico. The other 15 are in a good position to keep their Olympic quota.

Men's 4x100m Medley

Qualified - :USA :CHN :AUS

Qualifying Position - :FRA :GBR :GER :CAN :JPN :ITA :KOR :AUT :POL :IRL :ESP :SUI :POR

Challengers - :HUN :MEX :SGP :SWE :KAZ :RSA :THA :VIE :GRE :NED :SRB :BUL

Hungary and Mexico will be looking to try to squeeze into the top 16. Things are quite competitive with the bottom four being at risk at missing the games. Switzerland isn't competing.

Edited by JoshMartini007