website statistics

Wrestling Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/2020-asian-olympic-qualifier-cancelled-due-spread-coronavirus

"United World Wrestling is now considering other solutions and discussions with the International Olympic Committee will be continued next week."

I wonder how many options they have left ?! I highly doubt they can find a host in Asia for March, and having the event outside of Asia is also impossible. no country in the world will accept that.

also this sport is not like Rowing, they can't mix it into the last World QT, but who knows, maybe they really do that, something like 2 next best Asian wrestler outside of top 2 will qualify too ?! but that will be insane because in wrestling ranking outside of top 6 is random. mostly depends on your luck to meet some very weak wrestlers in first or second rounds and beat them by big score.

the world ranking is mostly a joke and they know it, I highly doubt they consider that to qualify 2 in each weight.

another idea is what FINA did, considering the last Asian tournament as the AQT but then China won't accept it they didn't participate. or maybe next best 2 Asian wrestlers at the last World Championships ? that's even more stupid

bottom line, I really hope they find a host by miracle. all other options are stupid and unfair. :(

9 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Sadly ?? no news on the Asian qualifier still

the last thing I know that UWW guys called Iran wrestling federation to "consult" with them about a solution. our federation's reaction is something like "whatever you decide, just let us participate, no matter where and when"

as far as I know UWW is unsuccessful to find a host yet, they are probably thinking about "other solutions"

8 hours ago, MHSN said:

the last thing I know that UWW guys called Iran wrestling federation to "consult" with them about a solution. our federation's reaction is something like "whatever you decide, just let us participate, no matter where and when"

as far as I know UWW is unsuccessful to find a host yet, they are probably thinking about "other solutions"

Can they do an Asian tournament before the world qualifier at the same time..... It might be brutal for the losers than to continue on to the world's...... But any other means seems stupid as the ranking in wrestling is very arbitrary

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

26 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

Can they do an Asian tournament before the world qualifier at the same time..... It might be brutal for the losers than to continue on to the world's...... But any other means seems stupid as the ranking in wrestling is very arbitrary

that's an option and I think they are thinking about it. but that will be terrible for Asian wrestlers, this is wrestling. not tennis or volleyball when you can play another match the next day. they have to cut weight and some of them cut a lot. it's really hard to cut weight twice in a 4-5 days. but that's possible if that remains as their only option. in this case I assume some wrestling nations (like Iran) will send 2 wrestlers in each weight bcz it's almost impossible to use the same guy in the World Qualifiers in case he fails.

another option is not having a separate competition but let two next best Asian wrestlers to qualify. that's even worse

I'm 100% sure they won't use that silly World Ranking.

5 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

UWW could postpone all qualifiers to May. If qualifiers still can not be held that time, it means Olympic will also be postponed or canceled.

You mean Olympic wrestling will be postponed/cancelled? Because I doubt whether or not the Olympics happen depends on whether or not wrestling has finished it's qualifications..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

42 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

You mean Olympic wrestling will be postponed/cancelled? Because I doubt whether or not the Olympics happen depends on whether or not wrestling has finished it's qualifications..

I mean UWW currently faces difficulties finding a host to hold some continental qualifiers which will affect the worldwide one. They can postpone the continental and world qualifiers to May. If the outbreak ends that time, the qualifiers and Olympic can be both held. If not, they could be both postponed. The situation would be clear in May and not necessarily hurrying finish all qualifiers in April.

according to Iranian wrestling federation, they received a message from UWW today , it seems they managed to find a host ! our federation was told the possible date is 3-5 April or 11-13 April

UWW told them they are confident "that country" will most probably host the AQT (not a sure thing yet) but also told the Iranian federation to test its delegation (wrestlers, coaches etc) few times and bring all these documents to that host country ! UWW is still not sure what that host country will ask to let the Iranian team in. this message was a kind of heads up for the Iranian federation to prepare those medical requirements.

in UWW message they mentioned that country is already hosting some events. I wonder who is that brave country ? :mumble: Qatar ? Thailand ? or somewhere outside of Asia ?

ps: right now there is no training camp in Iran, they sent all wrestlers home but the plan is to make the national camp something like a prison ! nobody out, nobody in. then invite a very limited number of wrestlers to train there.  they are also talking to some countries (apparently Armenia) to host our wrestlers, making it easier to travel without that quarantine period.