website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2021

Totallympics

tbh, I don't agree that much...

as it happens in so many disciplines, every team has to make their internal selection...and the Worlds and Olympics should stay as the challenge of Nations (so, with only 1 representative per Country)...

franlky, I don't find as attractive a tournament with 2 japanese (or 2 fighters from the same Nation in general) in the final (like it often happens now)...

17 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's not even about Canada. Japan is the big elephant in the room, if they cut down on China in table tennis to prevent the medal sweep, they have to do the same in judo. You can't apply double standards, let one discipline promote powerhouses and save the other for minor nations. 

It's not a really fitting comparison, though. China still does have at least two Table tennis players in the single events.

24 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's not even about Canada. Japan is the big elephant in the room, if they cut down on China in table tennis to prevent the medal sweep, they have to do the same in judo. You can't apply double standards, let one discipline promote powerhouses and save the other for minor nations. You have to put some consistency here. And they won't expand the number of entries per judo because they have to make room for new sports to begin with. Judo is old fashioned, classic sport that millenials usually ignore. And it will never get the following of athletics or swimming where there are enough entries that both powerhouses and minnows can compete at the same time.

I did say in my original post that I wouldn't allow more than 14 athletes per NOC either way, and Japan is getting 14 quotas in judo no matter what. It's about second tier nations who might have 2 great judokas in one event, and no other medal chances in the other events. 

32 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

It's not a really fitting comparison, though. China still does have at least two Table tennis players in the single events.

Table tennis doesn't have 7(!) different set of individual medals though. It's a much bigger handicap for China to enter only two players in ONE individual event than to have Japan enter 7 judokas in SEVEN weight categories per gender.

Boxing or wrestling would be your comparison. They only allow one entry per nation?

German judo is in a very sorry state. They should either completely restructure or cut the funding an spend the money for more important sports like swimming or athletics. A country like Germany should win 4 medals at least.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

6 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

German judo is in a very sorry state. They should either completely restructure or cut the funding an spend the money for more important sports like swimming or athletics. A country like Germany should win 4 medals at least.

They already have one bronze medal for Theresa Stoll and W70 and W78 are strong categories for Germany.

And in 2016 they only had one bronze medal and even if you look into history there were only 3xgold, 3xsilver and 14xbronze in total since 1964.

That`s 1-2 medal per olympic games on average. I am not even sure that they won more than 4 medals in one olympic game ever.

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

Meanwhile Özbas defeated Franssen, making her quota more secure. I guess this might also be a good news for Vermeer, but I am not sure how internal selection works there. 

No, unfortunately, the Dutch Judo Association has already appointed Franssen, after Vermeer suffered a serious injury in 2019. In retrospect, that was not so smart, because Vermeer has been much better than Franssen this whole year. But yes, the Dutch Judo Association often makes blunders ... for example sending Sanne van Dijke to the Olympics instead of Kim Polling without convincing arguments. If the differences are small, a tie-breaker would be the best solution (like Japan did in the men's -66kg).

1 hour ago, Mecki83 said:

They already have one bronze medal for Theresa Stoll and W70 and W78 are strong categories for Germany.

And in 2016 they only had one bronze medal and even if you look into history there were only 3xgold, 3xsilver and 14xbronze in total since 1964.

That`s 1-2 medal per olympic games on average. I am not even sure that they won more than 4 medals in one olympic game ever.

Yes and this situation is completely unacceptable. At the last 3 world championships combined Germany has only won 3 medals, the Netherlands have won 7 medals, Brazil 9 and Canada/Kosovo 3 each. If it isn’t possible to win more medals with the money they get, then they should completely cut the funding and invest it in sports where this money actually  makes a difference, otherwise they have to completely change their approach. I doubt that countries like Kosovo, Brazil, Canada or the Netherlands spend significantly more money in judo, so they very likely just spend the money more efficiently. Germany has qualified a lot of athletes, but most of them will be completely hopeless. Maybe it would make more sense to focus on those athletes who actually have the potential to medal and as usual when you don’t know how to do something (win more medals) it makes sense to ask someone who knows how to do it (win medals) for help. If the German coaches can’t do a better job, it probably is time to get a foreign coach with a better track record.

Currently more than half the budget is spend on sports where Germany will win 15 medals combined at best at the olympics. Sports like fencing, sailing, rowing, volleyball or hockey get clearly too much money, while swimming, athletics and gymnastics should get clearly more money.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.