website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics FIG World Championships 2019

hckošice

Japan failed hard (for their level) and will probably qualify dead last as a team. This serves them right for the worst, most asinine and illogical team selection procedures ever. Their best gymnast, Mai Murakami, who could easily win a medal on floor and maybe in the all-around, is at home now. Their men's team had a terrible session in podium training, and their best male gymnasts are also currently at home. Japan failing and being ashamed is sad, but at the same time good news, so maybe their terrible selection system will finally be changed.

Olympic qualification hopefuls until now:

Event finals:
:KOR Yeo Seo-jeong
:ESP Roxana Popa

All-around:
:AUS :UKR :ESP :KOR :MEX :JAM :PRK :CZE :CUB :ROU :AUT :BLR :MAS :EGY :SVK :POR :CRO :RSA :SWE :POL :CHI :NOR :PER :UZB :TPE :AZE :IRL :GEO :GRE :SLO

Mexico and Peru are now in position for one quota each, while Sri Lanka and Iceland dropped out. Chusovitina is still hanging on.

1 host country quota is also going to be reallocated to the all-around competition, but I think this will happen after all the other qualification events next year. So one gymnast from another NOC will be guaranteed to qualify if she doesn't qualify in another way.

13 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

1 host country quota is also going to be reallocated to the all-around competition, but I think this will happen after all the other qualification events next year. So one gymnast from another NOC will be guaranteed to qualify if she doesn't qualify in another way.

So, I believe Chusovitina will qualify now. I can see only seven gymnasts ahead of her, and this would be enough for her to secure at least the position for reallocation of the host nation quota.