website statistics

Judo 2018 Discussion Thread

bestmen

Just now, DaniSRB said:

he can't be with Israeli athlete even at podium? 

I'm not sure if there is something against it but I won't be surprised if he doesn't show up. that was just a guess specially if Israeli athlete wins the gold, even though Mollaei won't know that his match will be held before the final

and I was expecting Mollaei didn't show up for the bronze medal match.

that's a shame our World Champion has to withdraw for such stupid reasons. :cry: and this is not going to stop here. this Israeli guy is good and he will be always a threat to Mollaei wherever he goes.

and I still remember very well what happened in 2004 Olympics, Arash Miresmaeili was 2 time World Champion at the time. clear favorite for the gold but he had to withdraw because of the Israel draw. :wall:

10 minutes ago, MHSN said:

and I was expecting Mollaei didn't show up for the bronze medal match.

that's a shame our World Champion has to withdraw for such stupid reasons. :cry: and this is not going to stop here. this Israeli guy is good and he will be always a threat to Mollaei wherever he goes.

and I still remember very well what happened in 2004 Olympics, Arash Miresmaeili was 2 time World Champion at the time. clear favorite for the gold but he had to withdraw because of the Israel draw. :wall:

Only way to stop it is if the IJC/IOC suspend/fine Iran and explain to them this is not okay in sport, otherwise there is no incentive for them to stop

14 minut temu, intoronto napisał:

Only way to stop it is if the IJC/IOC suspend/fine Iran and explain to them this is not okay in sport, otherwise there is no incentive for them to stop

Probably there are no regulations that allow to do such a thing. And even if they are I don't believe it would help. Next time they can pretend injuries to withdraw. Documents with sign of national team doctor won't be a problem.

Sad when sport loses with politics.

3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

that was very smart. I guess you are the only person thinking about such idea and btw Iranians never withdraw "officially" for that reason. there is always a legitimate excuse . injuries, not making weight, etc. back in 2016 they didn't even send Alireza Khojasteh to Rio because there was an Israeli in his weight. (they did the same with Javad Mahjoub in 2012 London)

and it doesn't change anything even if IOC bans Iran completely from the Olympics it will not change anything I assure you that. at least in near future nothing can force the Iranian officials for that. Judo is not even half important here.

and as a sport fan obviously I hate mixing sports with politics. I always did and will always hate that. but Iranians are mostly "victims" of that. this year when Iran Volleyball NT had to go to USA for one of the weekends, US officials locked them down at the airport like prisoners for almost half a day. FIVB apologized Iran claiming they will investigate the accident , but what happened ? they awarded USA hosting the next 3 VNL finals. our football federation still can't get the money FIFA should pay them for 2014 World Cup because of the sanctions let alone 2018 World Cup. I stop here but I can give you 100 examples like this in different sports , in different ways they are mixing sports and politics.

23 minutes ago, MHSN said:

that was very smart. I guess you are the only person thinking about such idea and btw Iranians never withdraw "officially" for that reason. there is always a legitimate excuse . injuries, not making weight, etc. back in 2016 they didn't even send Alireza Khojasteh to Rio because there was an Israeli in his weight. (they did the same with Javad Mahjoub in 2012 London)

and it doesn't change anything even if IOC bans Iran completely from the Olympics it will not change anything I assure you that. at least in near future nothing can force the Iranian officials for that. Judo is not even half important here.

and as a sport fan obviously I hate mixing sports with politics. I always did and will always hate that. but Iranians are mostly "victims" of that. this year when Iran Volleyball NT had to go to USA for one of the weekends, US officials locked them down at the airport like prisoners for almost half a day. FIVB apologized Iran claiming they will investigate the accident , but what happened ? they awarded USA hosting the next 3 VNL finals. our football federation still can't get the money FIFA should pay them for 2014 World Cup because of the sanctions let alone 2018 World Cup. I stop here but I can give you 100 examples like this in different sports , in different ways they are mixing sports and politics.

The IOC does not need to suspend Iran, by issuing a fine in conjunction with the IJF should be sufficient. The IJF can suspend or w/e but at the end of the day politics ruins the chances athletes get and that is unfortunate. 

here is the match, fake injury. that's a shame a World champion has to perform such a silly show. :wall: I read a comment from Mollaei himself he claimed he withdrew from the bronze medal match cuz he didn't want to see Iran's flag behind Israeli ! :wacko: but I assume when you withdraw a match because of injury, they automatically won't let you compete in the repechage. right ?

Iran is one of my favourite nations in terms of sports (mostly in weightlifting/wrestling/taekwondo and so on because of @MHSN's often so detailed information about them I grew to like them), but why are there no serious sanctions against them when this keeps happening all...the...time? It's worse than doping and entire nations are thrown out of certain sports for that. Difficult and sad situation.. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Iran is one of my favourite nations in terms of sports (mostly in weightlifting/wrestling/taekwondo and so on because of @MHSN's often so detailed information about them I grew to like them), but why are there no serious sanctions against them when this keeps happening all...the...time? It's worse than doping and entire nations are thrown out of certain sports for that. Difficult and sad situation.. 

as I said before they always have a legitimate excuse for that. the only time it got out of hands was World U23 Wrestling when Israeli wrestler beat the American wrestler surprisingly and Iran had to wrestle Russia at the same time on another mat and his coaches shout to him to "Alireza lose" that was something they couldn't deny.

and Iran is not the only country with that policy, at least right now, you hear that about Iran only because Iran is more active in sports comparing to other Islamic countries with the same policy. there were some hope after that wrestling accident that they will change that policy. lots of talks and discussion that this is a useless strategy and we gain nothing from this but then again the man who has the ultimate word in Iran made it clear that nothing is going to change about this.

personally I hated this since the first day. this is disgusting and shameful . athletes have to try the entire year for one important moment of their career and have to give up that because of stupid politics. I know 2-3 athletes that their careers got ruined only because they had to miss their golden opportunities. sometimes you can't get a second chance. I don't know whey everybody else is complaining, the only one should complain is Iranian athlete who forced to do something he probably doesn't want to do. for example the Israeli guy here most probably could not beat our World Champion here. Mollaei by withdrawing just awarded him an easy gold medal. another example Israel had won only one medal in history of World Taekwondo Championship. that's because Iranian athlete withdrew in quarterfinal and gave a free medal to Israel. if someone someday wants to withdraw against Iranian athletes. I'm totally fine with that and will take that medal.

I would be OK with a temporary suspension if this could actually change something but since I know it doesn't , i prefer our athletes participate and just hope for a no-israel draw. at least for now. but I'm thinking what will happen if one day Israel qualifies for the FIFA World Cup and gets Iran  in the group stage ! football is the only sport that "matters" in Iran. that might make a change but we will never know.