website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

On a positive note...... 

India has ramped up its testing ability by inducting a large number of pvt sector labs..... For example my city Hyderabad has now 12 labs conducting tests for Covid...... Presuming each testing center can conduct a 100 tests a day...... We can do 1200 tests every day..... A huge ramp up capacity from just 100 or so tests we were doing earlier in Hyderabad ...

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Worth nothing that Turkmenistan is actually something like 4 points behind North Korea on the World Press Freedom Index currently (I actually think they rank behind North Korea on most things these days) :wacko:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

On a positive note...... 

India has ramped up its testing ability by inducting a large number of pvt sector labs..... For example my city Hyderabad has now 12 labs conducting tests for Covid...... Presuming each testing center can conduct a 100 tests a day...... We can do 1200 tests every day..... A huge ramp up capacity from just 100 or so tests we were doing earlier in Hyderabad ...

We crossed 1600 yesterday with highest jump of cases yesterday. I was starting to believe we were controlling the spread as the rate of new cases per day was slowing down. With the govt not wishing to extend the lockdown period, the window to contain the virus spread gets shorter. Economic realities will compel to end the lockdown

US is starting to get close to the 1,000 deaths per day threshold :(

My community has been somewhat spared, but we’re up to about 20 cases now. Unfortunately one of those is a family friend with a teenage son. Last I heard, he’s in our local hospital on a ventilator. However, his wife hasn’t been able to get any updates recently, which is making think it’s not looking good :cry:

I don’t pray, but those who do to take a moment and pray for all the families going through the horrors of this pandemic.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Even more breathtaking is people going on Twitter and bashing Trump about this. Sure, they could put a lower number there, but then people would complain they're not being realistic.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, dcro said:

First case on Bonaire. Kingdom of the Netherlands has fallen!

We still have 4 COVID-19-free municipalities (four of the five islands in the north :p )!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

We crossed 1600 yesterday with highest jump of cases yesterday. I was starting to believe we were controlling the spread as the rate of new cases per day was slowing down. With the govt not wishing to extend the lockdown period, the window to contain the virus spread gets shorter. Economic realities will compel to end the lockdown

If the number of cases per day (200+ day) keep multiplying till April 14, there will be no other option for the Indian govt but to extend the lockdown. Economic pain will be there but the if the lockdown is removed the cases will incrase manyfold. It really a difficult decision for government to take. How many cases we are getting per day in next 10 days will decide it.

in the meantime, I discovered that the small village where my granny (my dad's mom) was born is basically one of the only places in Italy with no cases of coronavirus at all...

OK, it's a small place with about 1,100 inhabitants, but it's also located in the middle of the original red zone of Lombardy (and Italy)...

and 25% of my DNA comes from there! :cheer: