website statistics

Taekwondo WTA Asian Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Fly_like_a_don

I was surprised by the level of Palestinian girl (who will face Momenzadeh from Iran in an hour) but after a quick search she turned out to be Iranian :d:facepalm: this is new. refugee/migrant in Palestine :d (she lives in Turkey btw, just represents Palestine)

Semifinals for later this afternoon

Men's 68kg: :TPE vs :PLE //// :UZB vs :KAZ

Men's 80kg: :JOR vs :KGZ //// :TJK vs :TPE

Women's 49kg: :VIE vs :KAZ //// :IRI vs :TPE

Women's 67kg: :JOR vs :p:p //// :QAT vs :UZB

--------------------------

the only surprise today was Thailand losing to Palestine in men's 68kg. I don't think the Palestinian guy is originally from there but he was pretty good against Thailand. still it will be very hard for him to beat top seed from TPE but if he does that will be the first quota for Palestine. interesting timing.

also no surprise in women's 49kg. top 4 made it to the semifinal. Momenzadeh beat the fake Palestinian (Iranian living in Turkey lol) almost easily. she will have the match of her life against the Asian Games and Universiade Champion from TPE. I wish she was the 4th seed (instead of 3rd) the top seed from Vietnam was much easier for her.

5 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

May I ask is there a timetable writing when is the Quaterfinal/semifinal/final? Or just based on the serial number of 101-116/201-209 and guessing the time? @MHSN

I believe the SF will start on 15:00 (Jordan time) . and no final. just a 3rd place match in case one of the finalists get disqualified. and the afternoon session will be held only on Court 1. (all match numbers starting with 1)

preliminaries and QF start on 9:00 (local time)

2nd day brackets

https://www.ma-regonline.com/downloads/1489/DRAW DAY 2 - ASIAN QUALIFICATION TOURNAMENT FOR TOKYO 2020.pdf

very tough draw for :IRI Kiani, she has to beat the World Champion from Thailand for the quota :(

only 4 athletes registered for women's +67kg. :KAZ and :UZB are clear favorites but the Philippine girl qualified last time. she is hoping for another surprise.

also just 6 for men's +80kg. looks very easy for :CHN Sun, but :KAZ Zhaparov has to beat (most probably) the Afghan refugee guy I wrote about earlier.

men's 58kg, :THA looks safe in the first half, :JOR is the favorite in the other half but :MGL and :PHI are there too

women's 57kg is more crowded with 14 participants. :THA Harnsujin is the current world champion and the clear fovorite from her half (she has to deal with :IRI and probably later :JOR) but for the bottom half we have :TPE as the favorite but I also see :VIE:PHI:LBN challenging her for the quota.

As someone who follows Thai sports, I won't be surprise if Harnsujin fails to qualify for the Olympics as she can be inconsistent. For instance, several months after winning the world championships, she only won bronze in the 2019 South East Asian Games. Harnsujin has not done well in other tournaments like the grand prix, etc. Considering the Iranian is not a slouch and had some success in the 49 kg category, she could easily "upset" Harnsujin. Also factoring in the pandemic, Harnsujin's preparation might not be up to par.

If you follow Thailand and their performances in all sports, you would realize that Panipak Wongpattanakit is one of the country's few consistent amateur/professional athletes. Thai athletes are very inconsistent. 

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

only 4 athletes registered for women's +67kg. :KAZ and :UZB are clear favorites but the Philippine girl qualified last time. she is hoping for another surprise.

also just 6 for men's +80kg. looks very easy for :CHN Sun, but :KAZ Zhaparov has to beat (most probably) the Afghan refugee guy I wrote about earlier.

men's 58kg, :THA looks safe in the first half, :JOR is the favorite in the other half but :MGL and :PHI are there too

women's 57kg is more crowded with 14 participants. :THA Harnsujin is the current world champion and the clear fovorite from her half (she has to deal with :IRI and probably later :JOR) but for the bottom half we have :TPE as the favorite but I also see :VIE:PHI:LBN challenging her for the quota.

My Predictions

+67kg : Kazakshthan and Phillipines. The Question is by how easily they'll win. Could be 10-20 point difference for both. :PHI:KAZ

-57kg: This is quite interesting 

The best athlete in this weight no doubt is Pauline Lopez of Phillipines should qualify in her half. I don't remember if she lost to any Thai athlete (Vipawan or Harnsujin) in the last 2 years ,probably not. :PHI:THA

Upper half it could be Thailand as favourite. She's the 53kg world champion been in and out for 57kg category. She has been winning and losing against Vipawan over last 2 years in the trials.  On a good day even Iran and Jordan(with a little cheating) can qualify 

the live stream was terrible but from what I understood the followings qualified:

Men's 68kg: :TPE:UZB

Men's 80kg: :JOR:TPE

Women's 49kg: :VIE:TPE

Women's 67kg: :JOR:UZB

top 2 seeds qualified in all weights but one. men's 68kg. where Kazakhstan lost to Uzbekistan but that wasn't really surprising.

Impressive showing as expected from the Taiwanese jins going 3 out of 3 possible quotas, looks like they’re the most prepared team in this tournament

Uzbekistan and Jordan are 2 out of 2 so far, while Kazakhstan goes empty handed in day1 though I expect them to get two quotas tomorrow

Tough possible matches for us Philippines tomorrow:

M-58kg vs Jordan

W-57kg vs Chinese Taipei

W+67kg vs Uzbekistan

Hoping for at least 1quota ??????