website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

20 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I guess she got injured during the national championships

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2021/06/06/laurie-hernandez-gymnastics-nationals-injury/

So, she didn't compete since 2016 and actually filed a petition to be on the Olympics team? No wonder she's not there. USA doesn't need to use a grandfather clause in a sport they can field a ton of new girls each year. Of course it's all to be tested when Simone Biles retires because she's kinda soaking up all the spotlight all the time.

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

So, she didn't compete since 2016 and actually filed a petition to be on the Olympics team? No wonder she's not there. USA doesn't need to use a grandfather clause in a sport they can field a ton of new girls each year. Of course it's all to be tested when Simone Biles retires because she's kinda soaking up all the spotlight all the time.

It will definitely be interesting in Paris since we wont have Simone, but every year they can find someone new and still field a team to win the gold, Patterson->Liukin/Johnson->Weber/Douglas/Raisman->Biles

26 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

It will definitely be interesting in Paris since we wont have Simone, but every year they can find someone new and still field a team to win the gold, Patterson->Liukin/Johnson->Weber/Douglas/Raisman->Biles

Yes, but the current team is more reliant on the leader than any of the ones you mentioned. So USA might still get a nasty shock if the don't come up with a proper new leader once Biles is gone. The depth seems a little suspect already with Skinner on the team at age 24 which is ancient by gymnastics powerhouse standards.

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

So the likes of Morgan Hurd and Laurie Hernandez didn't even make the US Olympic team? I know USA can provide a ton of gymnasts but I thought the gaps at the top are slightly bigger?

Morgan Hurd injured and never got a chance to even get into the Trials, Hernandez also got injured during Nationals and had to retire

Laurie will be doing job as reporter for NBC

6 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Ok let's talk about worlds and Olympics on the beam

2014 worlds - gold

2015 worlds - gold 

2019 worlds - gold

2016 Olympics,  2018 worlds - fell of the beam, still won bronze.  

You can tell me with a straight face that Biles is not the number one contender for gold on the beam? That's called being a hater

And btw biles won silver on the uneven bars in 2018.   I can see her win 6 golds.  Though I don't believe it will happen

For WAG, situations change rapidly. The last major event is 2019 WCh which is no more a effective indicator let alone 2018 and before. Biles is for sure medal contender for all events, but for beam especially, it’s more unpredictable than other 3 events. And also you need compare recent D scores of opponents, Biles no longer have advantage on it and also she consistently have some minor mistakes on beam recently. So her score in US internal event is around 15.0 and it’s lower than Chinese theoretical score recently. If Chinese successfully finish whole routine without obvious mistakes they can achieve above 15.3. Some Chinese girls can achieve it but not consistently so China send a huge beam favored team to bet at least one of them can achieve it on court. So this the current situation for beam.

18 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

For WAG, situations change rapidly. The last major event is 2019 WCh which is no more a effective indicator let alone 2018 and before. Biles is for sure medal contender for all events, but for beam especially, it’s more unpredictable than other 3 events. And also you need compare recent D scores of opponents, Biles no longer have advantage on it and also she consistently have some minor mistakes on beam recently. So her score in US internal event is around 15.0 and it’s lower than Chinese theoretical score recently. If Chinese successfully finish whole routine without obvious mistakes they can achieve above 15.3. Some Chinese girls can achieve it but not consistently so China send a huge beam favored team to bet at least one of them can achieve it on court. So this the current situation for beam.

It's by no mean a lock like Vault of Floor, i know Biles is good for 4 golds, and Beam is her weaker event among the 3. She fell on it in Rio, Doha and wouldn't surprise me if she did again, thats why i wrote a big if for the event. However she is still coming into the olympics a favorite for 5 Golds, whether or not she will achieve it or even more, time will tell, but until she's not standing on the top podium after the Beam final, she is the one to beat.

7 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

2014 worlds - gold

2015 worlds - gold 

2019 worlds - gold

You can tell me with a straight face that Biles is not the number one contender for gold on the beam? That's called being a hater

And btw biles won silver on the uneven bars in 2018.   I can see her win 6 golds.  Though I don't believe it will happen

But what does a 2014 or 2015 result matter when predicting 2021? It doesn't...

I think if there's one user here who is absolutely not a 'hater' and definitely able to look at all athletes from a neutral point of view (instead of giving higher chances to one's own favourites), it's our Brazilian friend.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 12/07/2021 at 20:19, Maxim Fastovsky said:

2014 worlds - gold

2015 worlds - gold 

2019 worlds - gold

Have you watched any of the Chinese girls? Have you watched Sunisa Lee? Even the gymnast from Chinese Taipei now has a 6.5 D start value. Who would have predicted that? Certainly, not me.

In my opinion, Biles is not the favorite for the gold medal. Yes, she's the favorite for a medal, but I strongly believe one of the Chinese girls could win gold and even Lee could sneak ahead of Biles, and she could realistically end up without a medal even if she hits. This is not being a hater; this is being logical. Can Biles win gold? Yes. Will she? I'd say no.

Besides, results from 2014 and 2015 mean nothing in this sport. You should have known that. No one in their right minds would put Schaffer, former beam world champion, as a contender for anything, for example.

11 hours ago, phelps said:

https://totallympics.com/topic/8323-injured-athletes-who-will-miss-tokyo-2020/?do=findComment&comment=394649

she is going to be replaced by Vanessa Ferrari in the team event, while Lara Mori will replace Ferrari as Individual quota place (Floor)

I can't believe how dumb the Italian federation is for allowing the national championships to happen a few days before the Olympics. Why? There's no explanation for that.

And why not adding Elisa Iorio to the team? She could contribute more than Ferrari in team finals, in my opinion, even though a team medal for Italy was going to be next to impossible, anyway. I don't understand the logic behind this team, but let's wait and see.