website statistics

Athletics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

First athletics session of the games over. and it was a very nice start :)

Bit sad for Gabika Gajanová who finished 1st nonqualified in the W 800m, also that small colision with the :FIN  girl maybe somehow had the impact on it since she was trying to accelerate right before the incident  :( However, 25th place at the olympics is still a very nice result for our young debutant.

and now on the other night sports :running:

No big names missed out so far I think? Sure, the steeple Kenyan, but basically everybody who is not El Bakkali there is only a detail anyway :p 

Just asking because the night/morning was total mayhem in things of simultaneous things to follow so I might have missed something :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Impossible to tell. Some heats raced it out, some didn’t.

She just looked a bit out of form. 

And that possible injury to Asha Philip is bad news for the GB Women in the 4 x 100 Unless she recovers quickly. 

21 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

She just looked a bit out of form. 

And that possible injury to Asha Philip is bad news for the GB Women in the 4 x 100 Unless she recovers quickly. 

Asher Smith was injured aswell. I think the final is maybe possible, but no medal. Even not in the 200.

Asha Philip looks not good, and when Dina Asher smith is also not in best shape Britain will have a big problem, because Swiss Girls are absolutely on fire and they will run definitely under 42. In the German Team Pinto looked not so convincing and Mayer and Nippgen are out of order. 
So maybe Britain could be happy about the situation in the German squad and maybe Asher Smith and Neita are enough for a medal, Imani Lansiquot will be also on the team and then Philip, Nelson or Dobbin.

Edit: on her Instagram page everything looked ok for Philip.

36 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I think Dina Asher Smith won’t make the final on her heat performance.  She doesn’t look in her best form. 

I think Thompson, SAFP and Ta Lou are a lock for the final and Jackson/Neita/Asher-Smith/Kambundji/Del Ponte are the favorites for the remaining spots, the americans are pretty hard to read at this point. GB could have two women in the final or none, at this point a medal for Asher-Smith would be surprising.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

I think Thompson, SAFP and Ta Lou are a lock for the final and Jackson/Neita/Asher-Smith/Kambundji/Del Ponte are the favorites for the remaining spots, the americans are pretty hard to read at this point. GB could have two women in the final or none, at this point a medal for Asher-Smith would be surprising.

It’s hard to see anyone but the top three medaling. 

3 minutes ago, JonPhi said:

Asher Smith was injured aswell. I think the final is maybe possible, but no medal. Even not in the 200.

Asha Philip looks not good, and when Dina Asher smith is also not in best shape Britain will have a big problem, because Swiss Girls are absolutely on fire and they will run definitely under 42. In the German Team Pinto looked not so convincing and Mayer and Nippgen are out of order. 
So maybe Britain could be happy about the situation in the German squad and maybe Asher Smith and Neita are enough for a medal, Imani Lansiquot will be also on the team and then Philip, Nelson or Dobbin.

Pinto actually was really good compared to expectations. I don't think Germany is your main competitor, Switzerland looks much more dangerous. Depending on the level of Richardson, Switzerland and GB might actually be the favorites for silver and bronze. Germany good hit hard by the injuries of Lückenkemper and Mayer, with those two in normal shape, Germany would probably be favorite for silver. I think realistically 42 low would be a very good time for Germany (especially thanks to the lack of relay training) and both GB and Switzerland should be able to go sub 42.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.