website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Skateboarding downhill, is that what I think it is? Because that'd be extremely awesome :d Sure, not really 'Olympic' or something, but neither is breakdancing and that's on the program.

we had a full thread dedicated to the 2019 world roller games...

this is what happened that time...

http://www.worldskate.org/news/44-skateboarding/3127-wrg-2019-downhill-skateboarding.html

That is awesome :d 

And I knew about the Roller Games thread, but I think I was a bit busy with other things to follow that as well :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

The athlete equality fetishism has already been achieved. RG (and Artistic S) is there to offset Greco-Roman. You can't remove something, because it unbalances the numbers. Wasn't this what they were always starving for? Guess not, bring in the "event" guillotine now. I'm already thinking 3D chess for the next "item" in 2032, that will "need" equaling.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

I think gender equality is by sport. So gymnastics is equal in that regard.

It's not equal since the number of athletes is different. Artistic gymnastics should arguably have more spots for men: Considerably so, even.

#banbestmen

Gender equality for quotas can be worked out a bit...5 more quotas for men here, 10 there and so on, but events can't be created out of nowhere - and I guess the goal is to reach something like 45% men's, 45% women's and 10% mixed/open as soon as possible.

17 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's not equal since the number of athletes is different. Artistic gymnastics should arguably have more spots for men: Considerably so, even.

Remember gender equality doesn't apply to men.... as long as women are equal or more its fine in the eyes of Mr Fencing gold medalist 1976

13 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Gender equality for quotas can be worked out a bit...5 more quotas for men here, 10 there and so on, but events can't be created out of nowhere - and I guess the goal is to reach something like 45% men's, 45% women's and 10% mixed/open as soon as possible.

This has already been reached for Paris so I guess it's over.

Interesting how people keep talking about removing sports (or disciplines), and really there is no indication that IOC would ever do that. Baseball/softball are like the only sports which ever got removed, and both of them were in the Olympics for a short period to begin with.

#banbestmen

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

This has already been reached for Paris so I guess it's over.

Interesting how people keep talking about removing sports (or disciplines), and really there is no indication that IOC would ever do that. Baseball/softball are like the only sports which ever got removed, and both of them were in the Olympics for a short period to begin with.

I think it’s possible for 2036 and afterwards for sports to be dropped to fit new ones in. Even in 2028 and 2032 there is talk of cricket and netball being added - where are the quotas for them coming from?