website statistics

Summer Non-Olympic Sports Discussion Thread

Bearas

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was Nauru's first ever medal at a World Championships event, but I was wrong.

The old version of the thread about nations which have never won a world championships medal states that nauru won a medal as early as 1999.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150413205532/http://www.totallympics.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3970&extra=page%3D1

• 2 weeks later...

Men's Rink (Roller) Hockey European Championships 2016

Italy-Portugal is the Final of the European Championship in Oliveira de Azemeis
The defending champion won 1-0 the semifinal against Spain while the host team defeated Switzerland 8-0.

The Pavilhao Dr Salvador Machado was crowded for the last two semifinals of the day: an exciting and balanced match between Italy and Spain, won 1-0 by the defending European Champions and an easy but fought victory for Portugal against Switzerland.

Italy - Spain 1-0
A quite balanced semifinal between Italy and Spain awarded the better Italian defense: Spain pushed more and more but it never was able to pass over an enormous Leonardo Barozzi. The match has been decided in the first time, when Ambrosio scored following a Spanish error: the Iberians left him on the parquet after the referee action; he stood up and received Verona's assist to beat Grau. At the end of the first time, Spain was close to the goal when Selva hit the goalpost. Back to the rink, it was very hard for Italy: Bancells hit the barrier at the first minute and a goalpost at the second; Rodriguez missed a penalty. Italy needed 5 minutes to recover and at 7' had the chance to double, but Ambrosio took the barrer on the direct free hit. At 9' penalty for Bargallo: Barozzi stopped it with his leg. The Italian goalie stopped many Spanish attacks during the last part of the second time. Tomorrow the defending champion will meet the host team.

Switzerland - Portugal 0-8
Portugal confirmed the expectations and won without any problem the match against Switzerland. The last semifinal is a kind of POrtuguese soliloqui and team coached by Senica soon scored the first goal by captain Rodrigues. He doubled at 10' after the banishment of Kissling and Barreiros. Gonçalo Alves scored the third goal before the stop whistle of the first period. Back from the locker rooms, Portugal kept pn scoring, already tasting the victory: Ventura converted a penalty, Joao Rodrigues doubled again; it was then the turn of Barreiros and Alves. Switzerland tryed to contain the attacks and the last score is a copy of the qualification match: 8-0. Tomorrow Portugal will try to tear off the European title of the the defending champions and Switzerland will play against Spain for the Bronze Medal.

RESULTS

Semi-final 5th/8th place: Austria - Germany 0-9
Semi-final 5th/8th place: France - England 5-2

Semi-final 1st/4th place: Italy - Spain 1-0
Semi-final 1st/4th place: Switzerland - Portugal 0-8

TOMORROW SCHEDULE

3.00 PM WET Final 7th/8th place: Austria - England
5.00 PM WET Final 5th/6th place: Germany - France
7.00 PM WET Final 3rd/4th place: Spain - Switzerland
9.00 PM WET Final 1st/2nd place: Italy - Portugal

Men's Roller Hockey European Championship just ended, Portugal won in the final 6-2 Italy :clap::champion::POR

People here are really happy with the championship as Roller hockey is very popular in Portugal. (though personally I hate the sport, I'm more a Field/Ice hockey fan :))

Men's Rink (Roller) Hockey European Championships 2016

Portugal won 6-2 against Italy and is European Champion
Italy was ahead 2-0 at the end of the 1st half, but Portugal came back in the 2nd becoming European Champion after 18 years. Bronze to Spain.

GOLD FINAL: ITALY-PORTUGAL 2-6
The Big Final was maybe over every expectations: the defending champion did their best to keep the title and in the first half of the match it seemed feaseble. Since the very beginning, Italy pushed and found the goal with Ambrosio at 17.29. After less than 1 minute, Ambrosio doubled by converting the penalty. The match became really nervous and Italy made 6 faults in a raw before the end of the first time. Back to the locker rooms, Portugal completely changed and, supported by a crowded arena, started to push entering in the match. At 18.39 Diogo Rafael found the first Portuguese goal and it took him ten minutes more to double and tie: since then, the team coached by Senica became unbeatable. After the penalty converted by Ventura, Costa and Rodrigues scored in a raw and Nunes converted the last penalty: it is 6-2 and Portugal is the 2016 European Champion.

BRONZE FINAL: SPAIN-SWITZERLAND 7-1
Spain won the Bronze medal at the Europeans in Oliveira: Even if the score gap is large, it has been a hard-earned medal. Sure enough, Switzerland closed the tournament without a medal but with a result over the expectations and made Spain suffer in the first period. Spain needed half a period to break the Swiss defense: at 11' Eloi Mitjans scored his first goal in a European Senior. At 5' to the end Pascal Kissling scored a penalty and tied but a great hit by Jordi Bargallò took Spain again in the leads. Back to the parquet, it was Spain again and in the first minutes the match was already over. At 3' goal by Cristian Rodriguez followed by Barcells who converted the penalty after Jimenez's banishment. Burgaya scored the 5-1 at only 5' from the restart. The last two goals where by Baliù at 12' and the double by Mtjans.

Sur 17/07/2016 at 01:11 , kungshamra71 a déclaré:

Men's Roller Hockey European Championship just ended, Portugal won in the final 6-2 Italy :clap::champion::POR

People here are really happy with the championship as Roller hockey is very popular in Portugal. (though personally I hate the sport, I'm more a Field/Ice hockey fan :))

You're probably the only one in your country :)

http://www.fpp.pt/HP/Noticia/292

Some impressive ratings with more than half a million viewers for rink hockey. In France, if we ever had more than fifty spectators on a regional channe it must be a reccord :p

1 hora atrás, De_Gambassi disse:

You're probably the only one in your country :)

http://www.fpp.pt/HP/Noticia/292

Some impressive ratings with more than half a million viewers for rink hockey. In France, if we ever had more than fifty spectators on a regional channe it must be a reccord :p

Yes I know, like I said people here really like the sport and celebrate its victories really loud :p

They are particular popular because our three big football teams (Benfica, Porto and Sporting) have their own hockey teams and the rivalry between the three teams is so big that people do care a lot about the national hockey championship, just to make sure their team is ahead of the other two :lol:

i dont like like it because: 1- I don't like the game (can't stand the 4 wheel roller skating, that sounds like a child's roller skating to me sorry); 2 - probably only 3/4 countries in the world play/care about that, so the euro/worlds are sometimes ridiculous (0-8 on a semifinal?)

Il y a 7 heures , kungshamra71 a déclaré:

Yes I know, like I said people here really like the sport and celebrate its victories really loud :p

They are particular popular because our three big football teams (Benfica, Porto and Sporting) have their own hockey teams and the rivalry between the three teams is so big that people do care a lot about the national hockey championship, just to make sure their team is ahead of the other two :lol:

i dont like like it because: 1- I don't like the game (can't stand the 4 wheel roller skating, that sounds like a child's roller skating to me sorry); 2 - probably only 3/4 countries in the world play/care about that, so the euro/worlds are sometimes ridiculous (0-8 on a semifinal?)

It's not surprising people tend to care about sport their country is succesfull at :p

Anyway, the sport is slowy dying :( Except for Portugal and Catalonia (and maybe San Juan), it's barely sruviving everywhere else and it's getting eatten by the poor man's ice hockey version - aka roller inline hockey.