website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 News Road to LA 2028

On 8/12/2024 at 1:23 AM, kungshamra71 said:

• difficulty to move around - what i did loved and enjoyed on Paris was the ability to go everywhere quickly and easy, going through the center while passing multiple venues or just going from A to B by metro/rer with no problems. My experience in LA and public transport was not that good (2016 so things might have changed) so i expect it will be super car-oriented olympics, which sucks.

It didn't change, but they started to talk this week that they will get thousands of busses just for the Olympics, so we will see, but the traffic is something that definitely scares me , they will probably make everyone work from home, during covid there was no traffic at all

Is there a host nation quota that USA might not automatically receive? The only one that comes to mind is Field Hockey. I was thinking about Handball as well but as i see Great Britain receiving host nation quota for 2012 , it will likely be the same (though maybe IHF and IOC would like to avoid that embarrassment and put a standard on their quota)

for Field Hockey i remembered that Brazil got a standard they had to achieve in 2016, and the women's team didn't make it

4 minutes ago, AmericanHero40 said:

Is there a host nation quota that USA might not automatically receive? The only one that comes to mind is Field Hockey. I was thinking about Handball as well but as i see Great Britain receiving host nation quota for 2012 , it will likely be the same (though maybe IHF and IOC would like to avoid that embarrassment and put a standard on their quota)

for Field Hockey i remembered that Brazil got a standard they had to achieve in 2016, and the women's team didn't make it

FIH put some standards for France at Paris. Top 20 IIRC. Also only one 3x3 basketball team was automatically qualified and for some reasons we didn't had any home quotas in Wrestling.

7 minutes ago, AmericanHero40 said:

Both field hockey teams are ranked higher than BRazil and should qualify. The IHF has been giving US free quotas to their Worlds with the goal being LA2028, so highly doubtful they don't give them a host quota.

12 minutes ago, AmericanHero40 said:

If cricket is limited to 6 men's and 6 women's teams then both teams might struggle to get a host nation quota. Especially the women's team.

Edited by Dragon
typo

28 minutes ago, AmericanHero40 said:

Handball should definitely the sport where USA don't get a free quota, but IIHF has a very accomodating policy

they gave them the free quotas in 1996 and most likely they will do it again in 2028

Field Hockey is OK among the women, we'll see how they are going to manage the men's team, but they found the way to let Japan (and French women) play the home Olympics recently, so I guess they won't raise the bar too much also for the US team in 2028

on the other hand, I'm really curious to see what IOC is gonna do with Cricket...a 6-team only tournament would be a farce and I don't think the USA should get a free quota, despite the very impressive T20 world cup they played a few weeks ago

17 minutes ago, phelps said:

Handball should definitely the sport where USA don't get a free quota, but IIHF has a very accomodating policy

they gave them the free quotas in 1996 and most likely they will do it again in 2028

Field Hockey is OK among the women, we'll see how they are going to manage the men's team, but they found the way to let Japan (and French women) play the home Olympics recently, so I guess they won't raise the bar too much also for the US team in 2028

on the other hand, I'm really curious to see what IOC is gonna do with Cricket...a 6-team only tournament would be a farce and I don't think the USA should get a free quota, despite the very impressive T20 world cup they played a few weeks ago

I wonder if they might get one free quota, men's OR women's but not both. They can probably use the recent T20 to justify men's - IOC usually just want a competent team, USA men are well above that.

I agree 6 is a ridiculously small number, and if cricket sticks I imagine it won't stay that way long. 6 may be enough for an effective lacrosse tournament though, given the spread of the sport. Flag football, who knows.

I think the only question marks for automatic host quotas in team sports are 3x3 (since neither Japan nor France got host quotas in both) and cricket.

I really can't imagine the US won't get host quotas in handball and field hockey.

The men's field hockey team is definitively good enough to warrent a host quota IMO, they finished a respectable 4th at the last Pan-am games and kept it reasonably close agaisnt both Argentina and Canada.

Edited by NearPup