website statistics

Men's Road Cycling UCI World Tour 2020 (Tour de France)

Totallympics

3 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think Bora will go all out to win the green jersey. They realized that Buchmann won’t be able to make the podium, so they didn’t have to save energy for tomorrow and Sunday. Personally I never thought that someone like Sagan should win the green jersey because he clearly isn‘t and never has been the best sprinter, but I guess those are the rules. Once van Aert will be allowed to go for the green jersey it will be game over for Sagan.

There was a period, around when Sagan had his three-peat at the Worlds, where he actually was a very solid sprinter and a solid tactician. In his early career he had the speed, but the lacked the tactics to win more sprints. Now, it seems like both tactics and speed are starting to leave him, or at least he’s having a poor year in the saddle. Like some others said, it’s a long tour and he may improve, but I have yet to be impressed by his performance. I’d say he has only his team to thank for that green jersey right now. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I don’t see anything wrong with the green jersey classification by the way. I get that it’s supposed to be a reward for the sprinters, but if people can win it based on strategy, then that’s good riding.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Jeez, I sometimes feel like a parrot. Every year repeating the same...The Green Jersey is NOT and never was the Best sprinter competition or the fastest sprinter competition,

The Green Jersey is the trophy for the Points Race competition winner. Riders have to collect points throughout the competition. The one who will collect the more points will win the points competition thus the green jersey.

Period.

6 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Jeez, I sometimes feel like a parrot. Every year repeating the same...The Green Jersey is NOT and never was the Best sprinter competition or the fastest sprinter competition,

The Green Jersey is the trophy for the Points Race competition winner. Riders have to collect points throughout the competition. The one who will collect the more points will win the points competition thus the green jersey.

Period.

Exactly!  :hatoff: It exists to create excitement in the middle of each stage, not just the end.  The best sprinter in the race always wins 3-4 stages anyway.

And that is why today was a great stage, something happening every 10km.

23 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Exactly!  :hatoff: It exists to create excitement in the middle of each stage, not just the end.  The best sprinter in the race always wins 3-4 stages anyway.

To be honest, having the same guy taking it for an entire decade or whatever hardly seems exciting. :p For me the system is flawed, but to each their own I guess..

#banbestmen

49 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Period.

Absolutely. I disagree a little on who it’s “meant for” or meant to incentivize, but it is absolutely the road twin of the track cycling points race. I actually going to post about how Sagan reminds me of Cameron Meyer a little bit.

21 minutes ago, dcro said:

To be honest, having the same guy taking it for an entire decade or whatever hardly seems exciting. :p For me the system is flawed, but to each their own I guess..

It seems pretty fair. If sprinters can’t be bothered to drag their asses over hills at more than a semi-pedestrian place, then that’s on them.

To be fair, I find all the jersey competitions exciting/worthwhile in their own right. The only thing I can’t stand are these ridiculous “Bonus” things.

Also, I saw what happened to Sagan when watching the extended highlights provided by NBC, and it’s not really his fault he lost the stage today. There was a lead out rider that pull to the side well, and then he and a couple other guys got caught out by a dip in the road (which I think knocked his chain off).