website statistics

Summer Youth Olympic Games 2018

Gianlu33

8 horas atrás, dareza disse:

No Russian guy Nadin in apparatus finals, so Rakovic in final in HB :clap: This is better than 4 medals imo. Gymnastics in Serbia are disaster.

Wait, what? What happened to him?

Nice for Serbia to reach a historical final, but what a sad thing to happen with the gymnast. At least he has gotten a medal already.

7 horas atrás, dcro disse:

Well, not that, but obviously not getting frustrated by person with whom you are randomly paired with would be a start.

Well, if it's random, there's not much one can do. It must be frustrating to be paired up with a low level player, but I'd rather have a smaller number of athletes together (2, 3, maybe 4) than a huge number of athletes gathered together in a team. 

The reason is simple: in events with very large teams, this randomness might work in favor of the least skilled athletes, and this is bad. Really bad. For example, in gymnastics, one gymnast from South Africa got gold with the team, and one gymnast from Ecuador got silver. Both were terrible in the qualifying sessions and only earned medals because some members of the team were truly outstanding. I get it: it's important to share experiences and play together, but in gymnastics one artistic gymnast who finished last in a number of events (the guy from South Africa) eventually got gold because the top 2 rhythmic gymnasts of the competition were on his team.

So, yeah, it might be frustrating to be paired up with a not-so-great player, but I hope they evolve and work well together, eventually. 

8 horas atrás, dareza disse:

No Russian guy Nadin in apparatus finals, so Rakovic in final in HB :clap: This is better than 4 medals imo. Gymnastics in Serbia are disaster.

Sorry to reply to the same thing again, but I got curious about the last bit.

One of my hobbies is to "study" about the history of gymnastics, and when I looked at the results from the previous World Championships, I eventually discovered that all of the (male) medalists from Yugoslavia were from the region where, nowadays, is Slovenia. But in 1950 Yugoslavia got their only medal with a female gymnast, and she's Tereza Kočiš who was born in Sombor (currently Serbia). Is she well known in Serbia? I mean, is she famous? I've visited some pages from Slovenia and it looks like they treat the medalists from the Yugoslavia era as Slovenians, but no mention about Kočiš, of couse. How is she seen in Serbia?

Edited by thiago_simoes

Just watching the Boxing format, and it looks there a match for bronze scheduled, is it possible we will have only 1 bronze medalist ?

it definitely would be more fair since there 7 athletes (and only 6 will fought in the preliminaries) in the entry list and 1 of them is obviously directly seeded in the semifinal, which in the normal boxing format would means an automatic medal :crazy:

86d7fdd7-ce75-4760-a629-15ccbbdb01d7.png

8 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Sorry to reply to the same thing again, but I got curious about the last bit.

One of my hobbies is to "study" about the history of gymnastics, and when I looked at the results from the previous World Championships, I eventually discovered that all of the (male) medalists from Yugoslavia were from the region where, nowadays, is Slovenia. But in 1950 Yugoslavia got their only medal with a female gymnast, and she's Tereza Kočiš who was born in Sombor (currently Serbia). Is she well known in Serbia? I mean, is she famous? I've visited some pages from Slovenia and it looks like they treat the medalists from the Yugoslavia era as Slovenians, but no mention about Kočiš, of couse. How is she seen in Serbia?

she recieves national sports pension for her results, she also donated her legat to Sombor museum

but as dareza said gymnastics is here disaster, it's minor sport so most of people don't know about her and few more girls that won world/european medals

only us, keen sports fans, are well informed :d

hace 53 minutos, thepharoah said:

Guys for doubles from the same country if they win medal for their country , the medal will be counted to the country or also mixed NOC ? 

There isn't official table but in Wikipedia at least they are counting medals for a nation (in events which also involve mixed teams) as long as the team is only made up by nationals. I suppose tennis doubles will be the same.

16 minutes ago, LDOG said:

There isn't official table but in Wikipedia at least they are counting medals for a nation (in events which also involve mixed teams) as long as the team is only made up by nationals. I suppose tennis doubles will be the same.

there is a semi offical channel I would say that is the Olympic channel where there is a NOC based result chart  ...... I just checked and they have added chinese doubles medal to china 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

Just watching the Boxing format, and it looks there a match for bronze scheduled, is it possible we will have only 1 bronze medalist ?

it definitely would be more fair since there 7 athletes (and only 6 will fought in the preliminaries) in the entry list and 1 of them is obviously directly seeded in the semifinal, which in the normal boxing format would means an automatic medal :crazy:

86d7fdd7-ce75-4760-a629-15ccbbdb01d7.png

Yes only one bronze medal. There is only 6 per category, afaik.