website statistics

Olympic sports program review

De_Gambassi

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Genuine question, since you normally seem to be posting along quite normally in regular sports threads: are you perhaps on something? I mean, almost sounding like seeing the US as a victim in the world of sports, that's.....special, to say it mildly.

As I think almost every non-American would also like to know: Catelyn who, by the way?

Catelyn Clark, look her up.

On Something? no, i'm straight edge, though a bit sleep deprived from having a newborn, but other then that just sick and tired watching china get even close to us in the medal stand, because of cheating in swimming, and getting golds without competition, i don't know if i'm more excited in 2028 to cheer for USA or boo china out of the building tbh.

10 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

But World Aquatics has made a request to add the 50 meter races in the strokes,  That would add six races to the program.

They do that every four years apparently and it always gets shot down, as it should :p 

Keep all that stuff and add whatever in the sport's own world championships, fine, but stop exaggerating in the Olympics..

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Unpopular opinion (even for me): Remove rowing eights

When the world championship struggles to find double digit entrants you know the event is not global enough for the Olympics. I hate to say it, but the numbers don't lie. It is by far the least played event on the Olympic schedule.

I actually agree, but there is a middle ground possible : Have a mixed eights ?

9 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

OK...I apologise in advance, I LOVE this kinda crap, so this might go on a bit.

Oh, you sure do ! :p

I understand and agree to a extent with the argument "if you have to built a specific venue to host a specific sport, make the best use of it". But really it's counter intuitive as in your proposals small sports like slalom canoeing and track cycling would benefit hugely to be a pain in the arse to begin with :d

I think, some kind of balance is needed between sports during the Olympics and the olympic program should try - when possible - to reflect the strength of a sport on the global scale. In other words, a small sport globally should stay relatively small during the Olympics.

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

getting golds without competition

You know America is, like, allowed to compete in diving and in table tennis, right?

The US was in fact the dominant country in Olympic diving for a reeeeeeealy long time. The US lead the all time Diving medal count until these past Olympics, took China that long to overtake y'all. China could have just complained that the Olympics contained too many American-dominates sports like diving, instead of getting really good at said sport.

(Also, I say y'all, but I'm American too so... oh well)

Edited by NearPup

36 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

I actually agree, but there is a middle ground possible : Have a mixed eights ?

Wouldn't that basically just be an eight with four men simply moving the oars at a heartrate of 90, and four women rowing their lungs out because they do need to keep up? :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Combat sports:

Never less than 5 kg gap between Weight classes

Never allow Two bronzes. I like the idea of repechage round but just make the Two Winners of those games fight for one medal please.

All racket sports:

Should have a group stage/ranking round or repechage round (still only one bronze) to make the draw a bit less deciding.

Table tennis:

Change mixed doubles to mixed teams

Change teams to doubles

Shooting:

Remove team events

Remove gender divided classes  at least in air Rifle/pistol

Archery:

Remove team events

Athletics:

Change the mixed relay to a longer distance that does not already have a relay.

Remove repechage rounds.

Swimming:

Remove mixed relays or maybe just keep 4x100 Free if that would replace the regular 4x100 Free that would be removed. Only allow one change between heats and final.

Remove semifinals.

Remove 200m medley

Maybe add some 50m strokes

Canoe:

Add longer distances

Remove canoe slalom

Maybe more focus kajak than canoe

Flag football:

Do not add

Equestrian:

Remove dressage

Replace eventing with only the cross country part

Football:

Remove men or at least reduce the teams for men and increase for women.

Basketball:

Remove 3x3

Triathlon:

Could add a distance

Cycling:

add short distance MtB

Maybe remove BMX

Remove track cycling

Modern pentathlon:

Make it a real modern event, maybe decathlon. 

surfing:

remove

Add sport:

Powerlifting (raw): combined and bench press

Edited by Swewi

19 minutes ago, Swewi said:

Combat sports:

Never less than 5 kg gap between Weight classes

Never allow Two bronzes. I like the idea of repechage round but just make the Two Winners of those games fight for one medal please.

All racket sports:

Should have a group stage/ranking round or repechage round (still only one bronze) to make the draw a bit less deciding.

Table tennis:

Change mixed doubles to mixed teams

Change teams to doubles

Shooting:

Remove team events

Remove gender divided classes  at least in air Rifle/pistol

Archery:

Remove team events

Athletics:

Change the mixed relay to a longer distance that does not already have a relay.

Remove repechage rounds.

Swimming:

Remove mixed relays or maybe just keep 4x100 Free if that would replace the regular 4x100 Free that would be removed. Only allow one change between heats and final.

Remove semifinals.

Remove 200m medley

Maybe add some 50m strokes

Canoe:

Add longer distances

Remove canoe slalom

Maybe more focus kajak than canoe

Flag football:

Do not add

Equestrian:

Remove dressage

Replace eventing with only the cross country part

Football:

Remove men or at least reduce the teams for men and increase for women.

Basketball:

Remove 3x3

Triathlon:

Could add a distance

Cycling:

add short distance MtB

Maybe remove BMX

Remove track cycling

Modern pentathlon:

Make it a real modern event, maybe decathlon. 

surfing:

remove

Add sport:

Powerlifting (raw): combined and bench press

Are there also reasons other than 'I dont like this sport, remove it'? :d 

This sounds like a step towards the ancient Olympics and at some point only having the stade and 1 wrestling competition left :p