website statistics

Speed Skating Discussion | Qualification to Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026 Road to Milano-Cortina 2026

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Even here in :NED we are, to say it with a sense of understatement, not thrilled. That should tell enough :d 

Relays just don't seem to work well in speed skating.

There is a reason why the "classic" team events are pursuits and team sprints.

(Well, they don't work well in long track, the relays, including the mixed relay, are amazing in short track)

Edited by NearPup

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, intoronto said:

Dutch skater Kai in 't Veld is now competing for :GRE 

Not yet, Dutch federation is willing to release him, but he does need to pay back about 10k euro in costs they made for his training and such. His father is Greek by the way, so it's not a random nation switch :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

I think that's is a bit more older now and out of shape, but it wasn't bad some years ago.

Aren't you confused with Kai Verbij? Kai in 't Veld has never really been anywhere near things like World Cups, he was always a backmarker in Dutch championships (usually finishing somewhere around 18th-20th out of 24 or so). I mean, there's not even a Dutch Wiki about him, that says something when it's about speed skating :d 

Not to talk bad about him of course, definitely not, I wish him all the best and in a country where he is basically the only competitive skater, he definitely has chances to qualify for nice events! The last years he was mostly out because of a hernia and a ruptured achilles tendon.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Aren't you confused with Kai Verbij? Kai in 't Veld has never really been anywhere near things like World Cups, he was always a backmarker in Dutch championships (usually finishing somewhere around 18th-20th out of 24 or so). I mean, there's not even a Dutch Wiki about him, that says something when it's about speed skating :d 

Not to talk bad about him of course, definitely not, I wish him all the best and in a country where he is basically the only competitive skater, he definitely has chances to qualify for nice events! The last years he was mostly out because of a hernia and a ruptured achilles tendon.

I'm almost sure that I catched him at some WJCh some years ago. Surely I didn't confuse him with Verbij :p