website statistics

Athletics WA Under 20 World Championships 2024

George_D

I'm glad that Teršek won, but I hopped for a throw closer to 80m. Still first Slovenian gold medalist after Cankar 30 years ago. Javelin isn't easy and to be able to throw 80m at 17 shows he has promise to go a lot further. Fingers crossed he makes it. 

Also good result for Cyprus in men's hammer. Crazy good throw that one. 

11 hours ago, copravolley said:

I don't know if we're taking this championship less seriously? Because our results are terrible... I have a déjà vu from our performances at the senior World Championships 10-15 years ago. It's a bit strange, because among the seniors we attack with a wide bench, the U-18 European Championships this year went great for us, and here we have 1x 6th place and that's it. It's a bit worrying...

it's just this age group...the only star is Furlani, but after the Olympic bronze medal it doesn't make sense for him to compete at junior level once again

meanwhile the best cadets are still too young to shine at the higher level...not to mention the 2009 sprinters (Doualla above all), who are not even eligible to take part in the junior competitions

in 2 years time, I'm sure we will have a better team, meanwhile this year let's hope that the usual suspects in race walking save us from "0 tituli"

tbh, better be invisible at junior level and become medal contenders later among the seniors than viceversa

6 hours ago, phelps said:

it's just this age group...the only star is Furlani, but after the Olympic bronze medal it doesn't make sense for him to compete at junior level once again

meanwhile the best cadets are still too young to shine at the higher level...not to mention the 2009 sprinters (Doualla above all), who are not even eligible to take part in the junior competitions

in 2 years time, I'm sure we will have a better team, meanwhile this year let's hope that the usual suspects in race walking save us from "0 tituli"

tbh, better be invisible at junior level and become medal contenders later among the seniors than viceversa

We have 1 bronze, but it's not even about the medals. 2 years ago we won 2 medals: 1 gold and 1 bronze but we were 12th in the points classification with 38 points. Now, before the last day, we won't have even half of that achievement. Something is wrong, because 2/3 of our athletes are starting badly here and are completely out of shape. I don't understand why, because under the new management of Fidal we did well, which is visible in both seniors and juniors results. This year at the U-18 European Championships we won the medal classification, when I`m surprised by the terrible performance in Lima. And it's not even about whether Furalni would have won an additional gold here or not. The facts are that we sent a large team, which is doing badly for the most part and this is probably the 1st such big mistake since the new president of the our federation.

Edited by copravolley

24 minutes ago, copravolley said:

We have 1 bronze, but it's not even about the medals. 2 years ago we won 2 medals: 1 gold and 1 bronze but we were 12th in the points classification with 38 points. Now, before the last day, we won't have even half of that achievement. Something is wrong, because 2/3 of our athletes are starting badly here and are completely out of shape. I don't understand why, because under the new management of Fidal we did well, which is visible in both seniors and juniors results. This year at the U-18 European Championships we won the medal classification, when I`m surprised by the terrible performance in Lima. And it's not even about whether Furalni would have won an additional gold here or not. The facts are that we sent a large team, which is doing badly for the most part and this is probably the 1st such big mistake since the new president of the our federation.

Same with :GBR, after three other major events this year there was definitely a loss of focus for this one.

Edited by Grassmarket

Järvinen and Trościanka very impressive. A shame Gräber could not compete. +8000 u20 decathletes tend to fare quite well later so this is a good sign for the future of the sport if this was still needed.