website statistics

Boxing IOC Olympic Qualifier 2 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

6 hours ago, Josh said:

who are your picks in the Canadian brackets in women’s 54kg and women’s 66kg now that Drabik and Chernokolenko are out?

Jeez I get it wrong once and your making me go and get it wrong again.

So at 54kg the short answer is I don't know. I would have probably leaned world medallist Enkhjargal Mungunsetseg :MGL after Drabik :POL but Mongolia have largely struggled so I guess Johana Gomez :VEN is the slight favourite but I mean it could be any of the four still in contention with Scarlett Delgado :CAN still very much in the mix and Shera Mae Patricio :USA as well. 3 50-50 fights to be honest. You have a chance put it that way.

At 66kg it should now just come down to the Kali :CAN Moreira :CPV fight in the last 16. I think Moreira is better but only marginally. But ye I didn't see Mbabi :COD beating Chernokolenko coming at all :UKR and I have seen her fight before, this wasn't some obscure African boxer with no recorded results. She has impressed here though so you can't rule her out either and look Mai Kito :JPN isn't good but Japanese boxers have proven to be able to cause a shock or two. Or in other words I don't know.

I would lean towards Gomez :VEN and Moreira :CPV but I'm sure those predictions will be as bad as the rest of mine are looking. I've already lost 8 or 9 of my picks, I'm not sure I am even going to do better than  the disaster that was the first world qualifier.

35 minutes ago, Ogreman said:

Jeez I get it wrong once and your making me go and get it wrong again.

So at 54kg the short answer is I don't know. I would have probably leaned world medallist Enkhjargal Mungunsetseg :MGL after Drabik :POL but Mongolia have largely struggled so I guess Johana Gomez :VEN is the slight favourite but I mean it could be any of the four still in contention with Scarlett Delgado :CAN still very much in the mix and Shera Mae Patricio :USA as well. 3 50-50 fights to be honest. You have a chance put it that way.

At 66kg it should now just come down to the Kali :CAN Moreira :CPV fight in the last 16. I think Moreira is better but only marginally. But ye I didn't see Mbabi :COD beating Chernokolenko coming at all :UKR and I have seen her fight before, this wasn't some obscure African boxer with no recorded results. She has impressed here though so you can't rule her out either and look Mai Kito :JPN isn't good but Japanese boxers have proven to be able to cause a shock or two. Or in other words I don't know.

I would lean towards Gomez :VEN and Moreira :CPV but I'm sure those predictions will be as bad as the rest of mine are looking. I've already lost 8 or 9 of my picks, I'm not sure I am even going to do better than  the disaster that was the first world qualifier.

Hopefully :d

41 minutes ago, Ogreman said:

I had been thinking over the last couple of days that this thread had been remarkably civil and quiet for a boxing thread and then one controversial fight and boom, chaos.

season 2 episode 21 GIF by Star Wars

So this Aidan Walsh- Yurii Zakharieiev fight. I don't think this was a robbery. It was an ugly ugly fight that could have gone either way but it wasn't a robbery.

I have watched this fight a couple of times now and I don't think any of the three rounds had a clear winner. I think I have settled on Zakharieiev edged the first round and Walsh edged the 2nd and 3rd but it was much of a muchness in all 3 rounds. The only point I thought either boxer definitively got on top was the last minute or so where Zakharieiev tired a bit and Walsh's straight shots started to land.

Look I don't think Walsh could have had much to complain about had the decision gone the other way but there were about 6/7 clean quality punches landed in the entire fight so I don't Zakharieiev can complain much either. I think if you showed that fight to 100 judges 55 or so probably go in favour of Walsh with 45 or so going the other way.

However, I do think two point deductions for punching the back of the head was harsh on Zakharieiev (he did infringe like, just 2 warnings is harsh) but the ref gave that straight back the other way for holding which again can't really complain about. I think the ref in the third round kind of decided he wasn't going to decide the fight by disqualifying either boxer with a third deduction and just left it up to the judges because neither of them stopped infringing.

The other thing I would mention is that while I don't like that it is a criteria judges do sometimes judge fights on who was "in control" of a fight. Its a really ambigous criteria but judges do sometimes use it and I don't think you could argue that that fight was fought in the style or at the pace that Zakharieiev wanted it.

Look if a boxer I was supporting lost a fight like that to Walsh I would be frustrated and like even I get frustrated with Walsh's style sometimes because he is a really clean punch picker when he wants to be but in big fights like this one he just retreats into this ultra defensive style. I get it, it has served him well getting him to the previous Olympics against Ievgenii Barabanov :UKR and winning him commonwealth games against the then European finalists in Harris Akbar :ENG and Garan Croft :WAL but it is tough to watch.

But ye this fight could have gone either way and Ireland have had 3/4 of these type of decisions go against them at previous qualifying tournaments. Like Dmytro Lovchynskii :UKR was a little fortunate to get the decision this morning against Ifeanyi Onyekwere :NGR. I'm not saying they even out because they don't really (sample size is too small) but you do win some and lose some. I'm not aware of any official appeals process. The IBA used to overturn 3-2 decisions and they have their bout review thing now which is essentially a sped up version of the same thing. However, not a single fight at any of these qualifying tournaments has been overturned after an appeal.

Anyway the best part is at W54kg Jennifer Lehane :IRL meets Anastasiia Kovalchuk :UKR in what should also be a close fight so we will get to do this all over again on Saturday.

Great job - doing so detailed analysis.

Lovchynsy won / Khartsyz lost - that were that 50/50 bouts. No problem with that.

Your point about styles stresses the most fundumental problem of amateur boxing - no clear clriteria for scores. That makes nonsense of this sport - since any unfair decision can be justified easily. I strongly believe this decision is unfair. But it is obvious and normal that we cannot agree on this.

About W54. I do not think Kovalchuk is good enough right now. And I will not be satisfied if our girl will get win not because of her merits but as a compensation of Zakhareev` lost.

We have seen it many times - when one injustice is beeing fixed with another injustice. As it was in London 2012 - when Khytrov was robbed to get medal for hosts and then Vastin was robbed to give us another medal instead of Khytov`s one.

I hate this way of doing business by International Federations. So I prefer us winning appeal (i do kot know if any other appeals were filed at all) - but not getting that ugly "compensations". I understand that the chances are low, but we have that experience with Lomachenko and may be some ref`s decisions can be revised or something else. Anyway, that is good that the next bout in that weight is not tomorrow.

So the appeal officially filed.

I must say I am not satisfied with the text of the appeal. They mixed a lot here and some parts of the text are too emotional for the official document as well as some allegations.

But in general it shows the strategy: it is unlikely to change the scores from judges, but it is more likely to overturn referee`s decisions.

The chances are low but bigger than zero. 

Screenshot_554.pngScreenshot_555.png

I think that appeal is pretty shocking. Reads like something someone on here would write for our faves rather than anything else. 

“It is clear the Irish boxer did not want to box” as if that matters. Not a hope that Bach even reads it, never mind overturns it 

11 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I still haven't seen the fight so I can't comment on the merits of the case. But if you ever want to see an example of how not to phrase your appeal then this is a perfect one.

Yes, that`s why I wrote that I am not satisfied with text. Our federation is simply in chaos last years. 

@dodge I would like to apologize to Irish friends for that incorrect statements in the appeal.

They should focus on the actions of referee and on the scores given by judges but not on the opponent.

Of course the IOC has got enough from boxing recently, but my main hope (not a huge one) - they will revise referee`s actions.

53 minutes ago, avlar said:

Yes, that`s why I wrote that I am not satisfied with text. Our federation is simply in chaos last years. 

@dodge I would like to apologize to Irish friends for that incorrect statements in the appeal.

They should focus on the actions of referee and on the scores given by judges but not on the opponent.

Of course the IOC has got enough from boxing recently, but my main hope (not a huge one) - they will revise referee`s actions.

No apology necessary. We all just give our opinions on here. Some times we get heated but the majority just want the best for their sports stars.

And Irish sports officials have made some of the most embarrassing statements of all time, so there’s definitely no issue there with others doing their own