website statistics

Wrestling at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:CAN team for Paris (6 athletes)

https://olympic.ca/2024/05/28/six-team-canada-wrestlers-will-take-to-the-mat-at-paris-2024/

Men
Alexander Moore - Men’s 86kg Freestyle

Amar Dhesi - Men’s 125kg Freestyle

Women

Hannah Taylor - Women’s 57kg

Ana Godinez - Women’s 62kg

Linda Morais - Women’s 68kg

Justina Di Stasio - Women’s 76kg

Second Olympic appearance for Dhesi, while the rest of the squad are all making their debuts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now the seeding is final in men's freestyle. I'm trying to predict the brackets. 

but keep in mind the situation about the Russian wrestlers are still complicated and it's also possible that countries send someone else. one injury can change the order and therefore the whole bracket.

I made some changes based on what I know about some teams' rosters. if you are aware of any other change please let me know.

57kg:

top: :SRB Micic (1) vs :UZB Abdullaev (8) /// :ALB Abakarov (4) vs :IND Aman (5)

bottom: :JPN Higuchi (2) vs :CHN Zou (7) /// :ARM Harutyunyan (3) vs :RUS Uguev (6)

unseeded: :MEX Bravo-Young, :PUR Cruz, :EGY Mohamed, :GBS Iuna Fafe, :BLR Tsyutrin, :AZE Rzazade, :KGZ Almaz-uulu, :USA Lee

* Uguev's situation is uncertain, if IOC rejects him, Zou will be upgraded to 6th, Abdullaev 7th and Mohamed (EGY) 8th seed

it looks balanced, I say the bottom half will be harder if Uguev wrestles. from unseeded wrestlers I think only Spencer Lee can make an impact, there are 3 other good wrestlers but not medal favorite. I think the better wrestlers are mostly seeded.

===============================================================

65kg:

top: :ARM Tevanyan (1) vs :MGL Tulga (8) /// :PUR Rivera (4) vs :RUS Mamedov (5)

bottom: :IRI Amouzad (2) vs :ALB Dudaev (7) /// :HUN Musukaev (3) vs :AZE Aliyev (6)

unseeded: :MEX Gomez, :CUB Valdes, :SAM Akazawa, :AUS Okorokov, :GEO Dzebisashvili, :JPN Kiyooka, :USA Retherford, :KGZ Akmataliev

it looks balanced, we have couple of big favorites in top and the same in bottom half. Kiyooka is a big favorite and nobody wants him in his half. I think Retherford is the other dangerous wrestler, Akmataliev too but not as dangerous as JPN/USA. 

===============================================================

74kg:

top: :USA Dake (1) vs :GBS Ndum (8) /// :GRE Kougioumtsidis (4) vs :JPN Takatani (5)

bottom: :RUS Sidakov (2) vs :SVK Salkazanov (7) /// :AZE Bayramov (3) vs :SRB Tsabolov (6)

unseeded: :VEN Montero, :CUB Garzon, :EGY Hussen, :BLR Kadimagomedov, :UZB Zhamalov, :IRI Emami, :TJK Rassadin, :ALB Valiev, :WHT Mahdavi

* again Sidakov's situation is uncertain, he didn't wrestle in Russian nationals and is supposed to face the national winner. if IOC rejects him and Russian sends someone else the whole bracket will be different and everybody from seed 3 to 8 will move up one spot and Emami (IRN) will be seed 8th.

there are 17 wrestlers in this weight because of one crappy refugee wrestler. two unlucky unseeded wrestlers will have an extra match (which will be terrible and nobody wants to be in that position). it looks balanced but top half is a bit easier. still some of big names are unseeded and can completely change everything, Kadi, Zhamalov, Rassadin and Valiev they are all from Russia and at least 3 of them are Olympic medalist material. beside that Emami is good too. which means draw will play a big role in this weight.

2nd part

86kg:

top: :KAZ Dauletbekov (1) vs :JPN Ishiguro (8) /// :UZB Shapiev (4) vs :BUL Ramazanov (5)

bottom: :IRI Yazdani (2) vs :GRE Kurugliev (7) /// :SMR Amine (3) vs :MGL Bat-Erdene (6)

unseeded: :CAN Moore, :PUR Ramos, :AUS Lawrence, :ALG Benferdjallah, :RUS Naifonov, :AZE Nurmagomedov, :GEO Gamkrelidze, :USA Brooks

anybody in top half can considers himself very lucky. I think 4 wrestlers here are a head and shoulder above everybody else and two of them are locked to meet in the QF. if Brooks and Naifonov also fall in the bottom half we will have two lucky medalists from the top half ! from the unseeded list beside USA/RUS I think only maybe the Azerbaijani wrestler can do something. 

Naifonov didn't wrestle in Russian nationals and he also has some problems with IOC's approval. Russia may send Kadiev instead of him but that won't change the seeding.

====================================

97kg

top: :AZE Magomedov (1) vs :KAZ Yergali (8) /// :TUR Ciftci (4) vs :GEO Matcharashvili (5)

bottom: :BRN Tazhudinov (2) vs :RUS Sadulaev (7) /// :USA Snyder (3) vs :GER Thiele (6)

unseeded: :IRI Azarpira, :CUB Silot, :DOM Perez, :EGY El Ders, :RSA de Lange, :BLR Hushtyn, :POL Baranowski, :CHN Habila

I'm putting the great Sadulaev here because he won the Russian nationals beating quota winner Zhabrailov but as everybody knows he has serious problem with IOC, between Russian wrestlers he is more in danger and has less chance to participate. 

also there are doubts about Kazakhstan's representative, Yergali and 92kg World Champion Aitmukhan were supposed to face yesterday but Aitmukhan lost to Magomedov (AZE) and Magomedov forfeited the final gifting the gold to Yergali. I'm not sure if that's enough for KAZ coaches or they will order another trial match.

if the Russian tank and Yergali do not go, Baranowski (POL) and ElDers (EGY) are next in line to be 7th and 8th seeds

if Sadulaev participates this will be insane because all 3 big favorites are in the bottom half ! even without him we still have Tazh and Snyder there. top half looks easy for Magomedov and Matcharashvili. I think only Azarpira (IRN) can do something from the list of unseeded wrestlers. (hopefully he gets the top half :d)

==================================

125kg

top: :IRI Zare (1) vs :CHN Deng (8) /// :TUR Akgul (4) vs :HUN Ligeti (5)

bottom: :GEO Petriashvili (2) vs :RUS Kurbanov (7) /// :USA Parris (3) vs :AZE Meshvildshvili (6)

unseeded: :PUR Smith, :CAN Dhesi, :NGR Mutuwa, :EGY Abdelmottaleb, :KAZ Batirmurzaev, :BLR Khramiankou, :MGL Lkhagvagerel, :KGZ Lazarev

only and only in this weight, the top 4 seed are really the top 4 and most probably will end up winning all 4 medals. but of course accidents happen, Petriashvili got pinned by the Kazakh wrestler yesterday. 

On 6/8/2024 at 12:18 AM, MHSN said:

2nd part

86kg:

top: :KAZ Dauletbekov (1) vs :JPN Ishiguro (8) /// :UZB Shapiev (4) vs :BUL Ramazanov (5)

bottom: :IRI Yazdani (2) vs :GRE Kurugliev (7) /// :SMR Amine (3) vs :MGL Bat-Erdene (6)

unseeded: :CAN Moore, :PUR Ramos, :AUS Lawrence, :ALG Benferdjallah, :RUS Naifonov, :AZE Nurmagomedov, :GEO Gamkrelidze, :USA Brooks

anybody in top half can considers himself very lucky. I think 4 wrestlers here are a head and shoulder above everybody else and two of them are locked to meet in the QF. if Brooks and Naifonov also fall in the bottom half we will have two lucky medalists from the top half ! from the unseeded list beside USA/RUS I think only maybe the Azerbaijani wrestler can do something. 

Naifonov didn't wrestle in Russian nationals and he also has some problems with IOC's approval. Russia may send Kadiev instead of him but that won't change the seeding.

====================================

97kg

top: :AZE Magomedov (1) vs :KAZ Yergali (8) /// :TUR Ciftci (4) vs :GEO Matcharashvili (5)

bottom: :BRN Tazhudinov (2) vs :RUS Sadulaev (7) /// :USA Snyder (3) vs :GER Thiele (6)

unseeded: :IRI Azarpira, :CUB Silot, :DOM Perez, :EGY El Ders, :RSA de Lange, :BLR Hushtyn, :POL Baranowski, :CHN Habila

I'm putting the great Sadulaev here because he won the Russian nationals beating quota winner Zhabrailov but as everybody knows he has serious problem with IOC, between Russian wrestlers he is more in danger and has less chance to participate. 

also there are doubts about Kazakhstan's representative, Yergali and 92kg World Champion Aitmukhan were supposed to face yesterday but Aitmukhan lost to Magomedov (AZE) and Magomedov forfeited the final gifting the gold to Yergali. I'm not sure if that's enough for KAZ coaches or they will order another trial match.

if the Russian tank and Yergali do not go, Baranowski (POL) and ElDers (EGY) are next in line to be 7th and 8th seeds

if Sadulaev participates this will be insane because all 3 big favorites are in the bottom half ! even without him we still have Tazh and Snyder there. top half looks easy for Magomedov and Matcharashvili. I think only Azarpira (IRN) can do something from the list of unseeded wrestlers. (hopefully he gets the top half :d)

==================================

125kg

bottom: :GEO Petriashvili (2) vs :RUS Kurbanov (7) /// :USA Parris (3) vs :AZE Meshvildshvili (6)

unseeded: :PUR Smith, :CAN Dhesi, :NGR Mutuwa, :EGY Abdelmottaleb, :KAZ Batirmurzaev, :BLR Khramiankou, :MGL Lkhagvagerel, :KGZ Lazarev

only and only in this weight, the top 4 seed are really the top 4 and most probably will end up winning all 4 medals. but of course accidents happen, Petriashvili got pinned by the Kazakh wrestler yesterday. 

This is a great work, but fortunately some of the Russians were declined by the AINERP and they will send unseeded weaker wrestlers

• 2 weeks later...

now we have the full list of wrestlers I have to re-write my earlier post

again it's possible that countries change their wrestlers because of injuries or another reason. let me know if you are aware of such a change

57kg:

top: :SRB Micic (1) vs :EGY Mohamed (8) /// :ALB Abakarov (4) vs :IND Aman (5)

bottom: :JPN Higuchi (2) vs :UZB Abdullaev (7) /// :ARM Harutyunyan (3) vs :CHN Zou (6)

unseeded: :MEX Bravo-Young, :PUR Cruz, :MKD Egorov, :GBS Iuna Fafe, :BLR Tsyutrin, :AZE Rzazade, :KGZ Almaz-uulu, :USA Lee

65kg:

top: :ARM Tevanyan (1) vs :MGL Tulga (8) /// :PUR Rivera (4) vs :RUS Mamedov (5)

bottom: :IRI Amouzad (2) vs :ALB Dudaev (7) /// :HUN Musukaev (3) vs :AZE Aliyev (6)

unseeded: :MEX Gomez, :CUB Valdes, :SAM Akazawa, :AUS Okorokov, :GEO Dzebisashvili, :JPN Kiyooka, :USA Retherford, :KGZ Akmataliev

74kg:

top: :USA Dake (1) vs :GBS Ndum (8) /// :JPN Takatani (4) vs :SRB Tsabolov (5)

bottom: :AZE Bayramov (2) vs :SVK Salkazanov (7) /// :GRE Kougioumtsidis (3) vs :CHN Lu (6)

unseeded: :VEN Montero, :CUB Garzon, :EGY Hussen, :ITA Chamizo, :UZB Zhamalov, :IRI Emami, :TJK Rassadin, :ALB Valiev, :WHT Mahdavi

86kg:

top: :KAZ Dauletbekov (1) vs :GRE Kurugliev (8) /// :UZB Shapiev (4) vs :BUL Ramazanov (5)

bottom: :IRI Yazdani (2) vs :RUS Bagaev (7) /// :SMR Amine (3) vs :MGL Bat-Erdene (6)

unseeded: :CAN Moore, :PUR Ramos, :AUS Lawrence, :ALG Benferdjallah, :JPN Ishiguro, :AZE Nurmagomedov, :GEO Gamkrelidze, :USA Brooks

97kg

top: :AZE Magomedov (1) vs :POL Baranowski (8) /// :TUR Ciftci (4) vs :GEO Matcharashvili (5)

bottom: :BRN Tazhudinov (2) vs :KAZ Yergali (7) /// :USA Snyder (3) vs :GER Thiele (6)

unseeded: :IRI Azarpira, :CUB Silot, :DOM Perez, :EGY El Ders, :RSA de Lange, :MDA Lefter, :UKR Archaia, :CHN Habila

125kg

unseeded: :PUR Smith, :CAN Dhesi, :NGR Mutuwa, :EGY Abdelmottaleb, :KAZ Batirmurzaev, :POL Kosciolek, :MGL Lkhagvagerel, :KGZ Lazarev

Edited by MHSN

The reallocation quota we got in GR 130 kg brought a semi-miracle. Kiril Milov, two-time World Silver medalist, who sustained an injury this spring, which forced him to miss both qualification tournaments in his titular 97 kg category will be given the quota at 130 kg. 

He had practically given up hope, a few months back, of competing at the Olympics, and having to wait 4 more years, but this situation opened the possibility for his return. Going up to 130 from 97 is in no way ideal, but any chance for competing is better, than staying home.