website statistics

Tennis at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

First of all, Iga is our only superstar what is comic btw. Plus she put some extra pressure on herself. Zero fun from the begining, like robot, even after won matches. And this Daria psycho, she probably was useful at the begining. If she tells 23 yo dominator which books shall she read how we can expect Iga could be able to solve serious problems on court. They all knew OG mean extra pressure for Iga plus maybe the only Polish gold. Pressure has won plus i think she got really tired in those conditions. Playing without a day break is against her routine. Finally we had a drama. What happened after 4:0 in 2nd...no idea though. Sad for her, hope today she will be ok. But Chinese girl was better, stronger. Iga has lost with herself, her introvertic demons. She has to trust more her human emotions. Being robotic will not help any more. Collins is crazy btw. 

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

9 hours ago, Gonzaxene said:

It wasn't a draw thing, and i would say his draw wasn't bad at all. He never reached his potential because of his backhand and his limited mental strenght, if you look at his better results, most were against players of his level.

Well you can say it's because of his backhand or mental strength for not winning a gold or silver here, but really if he had a different draw he very likely could've won bronze.

He lost to Djokovic at RG 2020 (semifinals), RG 2021 (final), Olympics 2024 (quarterfinals), and Alcaraz at RG 2023 (quarterfinals), and RG 2024 (quarterfinals). He needed to avoid one of those. He likely would've beaten Zverev as he totally dominates that H2H, and Medvedev didn't even make QF.

If you look at the other two semifinalists, Tsitsipas also owns Musetti and Auger-Aliassime in H2H. So maybe for someone else it wasn't the draw but for him it definitely was. He had a 50/50 chance of avoiding Alcaraz/Djokovic and it didn't happen. Matchups are very important in this case. Of course you can never predict what will happen (see Swiatek losing to Zheng for example) but definitely with a different draw we could've seen him on the podium.

That's tennis though. I am not going to sit here and say it was some conspiracy against him, or that the draw is the only reason why he lost, but you can't deny that with some luck with the draw he could've gone further here.

Edited by Makedonas

Today Iga is like 65% of herself. It would be enough also yesterday imo. Hoping for easy 2nd set and that she will learn from this painful loss. She plays on court, she reads books she wants when she wants, not her psychologist Daria. Kind of breakthrough in her life. More human emotions, more Iga in Iga. But now one set more plz. 

Congrats Iga! She got a medal and it’s all that matters now. And tbh, I know silver is generally better than bronze, and being in the Olympic final is a big achievement but I think winning bronze instead of losing the final (and being so close to gold) might feel slightly better so there's that.

Also happy for Alcaraz, win that gold please!

9 minutes ago, diable said:

Congrats Iga! She got a medal and it’s all that matters now. And tbh, I know silver is generally better than bronze, and being in the Olympic final is a big achievement but I think winning bronze instead of losing the final (and being so close to gold) might feel slightly better so there's that.

Also happy for Alcaraz, win that gold please!

Exactly. And she could lose that final. Still im quite sure that if they would play 3-4 hours later Iga would beat Zhang. This schedule was sick. There should be one day break between quarter and semi. Its friday and Iga won a medal with only one round less than in GS. And this 1st round in slam is quite easy. Abnormal. Olympic semi deserves sth more. She just said she will finaly enjoy her next OG, i just knew it. Great medal. Sometimes we have to lose sth even enormous to win sth even bigger...freedom 🙂

Edited by Pavlo

22 hours ago, ivanmar said:

:AIN Andreeva/Shnaider (first time as a pair) defeat :CZE Krejčíková/Siniaková (Tokyo Olympic champions and winners of many major double titles) in two sets (6-1, 7-5) and advance to the semifinal!

And now they defeat :ESP Busca/Sorribes Tormo (6-1, 6-2) and go to the final! :hyper: