website statistics

Judo at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

Just now, heywoodu said:

Sulamanidze throwing away his gold with a super dumb (and rightful) penalty :facepalm: 

Yup. :GEO gifted the gold to :AZE there.

I am happy the referee didn’t let him get away with those two blatant penalties just because he was ahead with a few seconds left.

Men's -100kg
Final Results

:AZE Zelym KOTSOIEV

:GEO Ilia SULAMANIDZE

:ISR Peter PALTCHIK
:UZB Muzaffarbek TUROBOYEV

Gold Medal Match

:AZE Zelym Kotsoiev  Ippon  Ilia Sulamanidze :GEO

Bronze Medal Match

:ISR Peter Paltchik  Waza-Ari Daniel Eich :SUI
:UZB Muzaffarbek Turoboyev  Ippon Nikoloz Sherazadishvili :ESP

Full Brackets HERE

Women's -78kg
Final Results

:ITA Alice BELLANDI

:ISR Inbar LANIR

:CHN MA Zhenzhao
:POR Patricia SAMPAIO

Gold Medal Match

:ITA Alice Bellandi  Ippon  Inbar Lanir :ISR

Bronze Medal Match

:CHN Ma Zhenzhao  Waza-Ari Anna Maria Wagner :GER
:POR Patricia Sampaio  Ippon Rika Takayama :JPN

Full Brackets HERE

On 7/31/2024 at 12:15 PM, George_D said:

Tselidis :wGRE: wins bronze medal!!!  :clap: Our first medal in the Games :torch:!!!

We definitely expected a medal in judo yesterday but from Teltsidou, not Tselidis! I'll take it though! What a nice surprise for once.

I know he won a couple of European Championships medals in the past but this is probably the first surprise Greek Olympic medal since 2004 (unless you consider Korakaki in 2016 a surprise)! Usually our Olympic surprises are painful losses, they are very rarely unexpected medal!

Also our first judo medal since London 2012 ;)

On 7/31/2024 at 6:29 AM, Makedonas said:

I can't believe it :cry::facepalm:

And she had like 15-20 family members come, her immediate family and all of her cousins, aunts, uncles...

Based on her family, their jobs, and where they are from/live she probably grew up poor so I'm sure this was a big deal for the whole family to go to Paris just to be disappointed...

And when she was "pinned down" (sorry I don't know the proper judo term) at the end for 10-15 seconds, you could hear the desperation and heartbreak in her family members' voices screaming "Pame Liza! Pame Liiizzaaaa!" because they probably knew it was basically over and they were doing anything they could to try and inspire her to pull off a miracle :cry:

Oh and if you think "yeah but it's just a bronze medal...", remember that Portugal gets very few medals per games so any medal should (and is, by those who appreciate it) be celebrated as an historical moment.

A curious fact about this one: the medal won by Patricia Sampaio :POR resulted in Portugal to finally have more medals (29), in our entire history, than Michael Phelps (28 in total) :lol:

image.png