website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Olympic Qualifier 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I might be wrong but it feels like this is Poland A team and that team in Baku was the B team ! :mumble: 

More or less yes. In categories where there are 2 people worthy of a chance in the minds of the coaches, both are getting a chance. They decided that the better ones will compete in Istanbul, because there are 3 tickets to Paris and a chance for a repechage in case of a loss, so there is less of a chance that a draw will hurt you. 

There are categories though, where there is one clear leader and he competes in both (Jezierzański). Some also needed more time to come back from injury (Kułynycz, Michalik) and Kościółek competed in freestyle in Baku and in greco-roman here :)

Edited by Jakkaz

10 minutes ago, Jakkaz said:

More or less yes. In categories where there are 2 people worthy of a chance in the minds of the coaches, both are getting a chance. They decided that the better ones will compete in Istanbul, because there are 3 tickets to Paris and a chance for a repechage in case of a loss, so there is less of a chance that a draw will hurt you. 

There are categories though, where there is one clear leader and he competes in both (Jezierzański). Some also needed more time to come back from injury (Kułynycz, Michalik) and Kościółek competed in freestyle in Baku and in greco-roman here :)

I see, I wouldn't do that myself but maybe that's a smart strategy and the Polish team is doing good so far. even that 87kg defeat was just a momentary mistake from Kulynycz.

there are 3 quotas available here + some of the favorites are tired from the previous events. which means maybe there is a better chance here. 

On 5/4/2024 at 5:56 PM, avlar said:

And last year UWW immediately moved tournament from Poland when russians were not able to compete there - "defending the rights of athletes". Now we see that they defend athletes from certain states only.

I think it's a totally different situation.

Israelis probably can go to Turkey but they asked for extra security, which is not mandatory, obviously.

1 hour ago, Pasolini said:

I think it's a totally different situation.

Israelis probably can go to Turkey but they asked for extra security, which is not mandatory, obviously.

Not exactly, Israeli security forces had intel about threats related to them coming to compete, so they requested security to ensure the safety of the athletes, which was not met, so it’s really a question of asking for extra security  or ensuring the safety of athletes

Posted (edited)

my take on what happened so far

we had lots of surprises as expected. but I'm mostly impressed with that Belarus kid at 130kg. he is a 97kg but has to wrestle here because they already won the 97kg quota. and boy he is World Junior and World U23 Champion for a reason, even against guys 20-30 kg heavier than himself.

Nakazato of Japan also surprised me a lot. he beat 3 strong European wrestlers to give himself a chance. 

The Ukrainian at 97kg fought his heart out against the beast Sargsian, really unlucky to lose the match on criteria by bogus cautions. 

disastrous day for Hungary, Szoke was unlucky but Vancza and Levai simply didn't take advantage of their favorable draw.

both Turkish wrestlers got eliminated early. terrible day for the host. CUB and EGY had 5 quotas already, their last wrestler lost here but still can have a repechage chance. so far AZE, RUS and GEO are doing better. they suffered defeats but they will be happy with 3 in the SF.

Edited by MHSN