website statistics

Team GB medal hopes - Cycling

36 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

Archibald looking very good in the Omnium, Richards struggled today in the olympic distance mountain biking but heat/going all guns blazing yesterday probably took its toll

In the Velo, GB's women side are beginning to look scary, front to back. The men's team pursuit also look the business, but the men's sprinters look some way off, although Carlin nabbed a medal in Milton. On the BMX, things look pretty good, though matching the G.S,G,B from 4 events last time will be a stretch. On MTB I have big hopes for Pidcock, but it's a crapshoot in some ways. finally, on the Road, Tarling is the main chance, Georgi has a punchers chance of a medal, after that its just hit and hope.

2 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

In the Velo, GB's women side are beginning to look scary, front to back. The men's team pursuit also look the business, but the men's sprinters look some way off, although Carlin nabbed a medal in Milton. On the BMX, things look pretty good, though matching the G.S,G,B from 4 events last time will be a stretch. On MTB I have big hopes for Pidcock, but it's a crapshoot in some ways. finally, on the Road, Tarling is the main chance, Georgi has a punchers chance of a medal, after that its just hit and hope.

The women have significant opposition in Paris in all events to be honest:

Team pursuit: New Zealand have the marginal edge from what we saw earlier in the year

Omnium: Ally Wollaston beat Katie pretty handily at the nations cup round 1, and Lotte Kopecky will be very tough too. Ally would be my prediction for gold.

team sprint: got to knock off the Germans. GB will probably start small favs

Madison: assuming it’s Barker and Evans, a fair chance in an open race

Sprint and Kierin: Emma will probably start as fav in both, but relatively open and competitive.

In terms of the road, Tarling will have a great chance and Zoe if she is selected in the time trial side. Road race crapshoot I guess gives small chances.

Mtn Biking I would imagine it’s all on Pidcock. BMX I think we will obviously have a regression towards the mean but definite medal chances in all 4 disciplines. 

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Dragon said:

In one word alone. Bugger!

No exaggeration to say probably the single worst bit of news Team GBR could have gotten in terms of hopes - at a stroke, three possible golds have possibly gone up in smoke.

That said, and to be clear there is  no replacing Archibald, Team GB on the women's side go quite deep. no longer gold favourites for any of the three medals, but Barker and Evans are absolutely plausible in the two non team pursuit events, and I'd still fancy a medal, though not gold, in team pursuit.

Heartbreaking for Archibald who has had a run of 'luck' that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. Only hope she finds the motivation to give it one more go in LA.

18 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

No exaggeration to say probably the single worst bit of news Team GBR could have gotten in terms of hopes - at a stroke, three possible golds have possibly gone up in smoke.

That said, and to be clear there is  no replacing Archibald, Team GB on the women's side go quite deep. no longer gold favourites for any of the three medals, but Barker and Evans are absolutely plausible in the two non team pursuit events, and I'd still fancy a medal, though not gold, in team pursuit.

Heartbreaking for Archibald who has had a run of 'luck' that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. Only hope she finds the motivation to give it one more go in LA.

Who will replace her in the team pursuit? 

20 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

It is disappointing - but not disastrous for the team. Admittedly the team pursuit chances probably get downgraded to silver at best and it is difficult to see a medal in omnium but it could work in GB's favour for madison as good chance for Evans and Barker to go a bit under the radar without being marked in the way that a pairing with Archibald would be. Evans and Barker are world champs so have every chance of being in the mix for a medal and it could well be gold. 

30 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Could be disaster for the funding going forward. If the narrative of the games being a big drop from Tokyo happens (I’m predicting 30-45 medals) then everything is on the table

there is no narrative....its just you, you are literally the only one who thinks this

Just sickening news. Urgh. I had Wollaston as fav in the omnium anyway but that kills off the gold chances in those two events.

Evans and Barker were always my gold medal favs for the Madison so that remains unchanged.

anyway, will go away to punch a wall. 🤣