website statistics

Team Canada at the 2024 World Aquatics Championships

5 minutes ago, NearPup said:

All Canada needs to do is wait for :RSA to decline the quota :P

(Do we know what's up with whether or not South Africa will accept the quota?)

No, but I’d assume they probably will. They accepted their quota for Tokyo 2020, after finishing 14th at Gwangju 2019. They finished 14th again here, so unless their criteria has changed since the prior Olympics, then I don’t see that happening. On the Water Polo South Africa site, I looked for anything on the matter, and found absolutely nothing. 

3 hours ago, Surlympics said:

I think Canada did really well against Australia. All they have to do is beat Italy now. They really can do it. At least their fate is totally in their hands Friday .

1. Canada hasn’t beaten a single quality team all tournament long. 

2. Some parts yes, other parts no. For the most part, we were playing really good defence throughout the match. Way too many fouls though, which led to a shit ton of exclusions. Luckily, Australia couldn’t convert on the majority of their one-player advantages. Offensively, could be better, McKelvey was the only one firing. Gaudreault also had a good game, she was a beast in the net stopping 9/32 shots. 

3. “All they have to do is beat Italy now” You’re acting as if Italy is an easy opponent lol. They’d probably even be favourites over us. 

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

1. Canada hasn’t beaten a single quality team all tournament long. 

2. Some parts yes, other parts no. For the most part, we were playing really good defence throughout the match. Way too many fouls though, which led to a shit ton of exclusions. Luckily, Australia couldn’t convert on the majority of their one-player advantages. Offensively, could be better, McKelvey was the only one firing. Gaudreault also had a good game, she was a beast in the net stopping 9/32 shots. 

3. “All they have to do is beat Italy now” You’re acting as if Italy is an easy opponent lol. They’d probably even be favourites over us. 

You never know though , anything can happen  

1 minute ago, Surlympics said:

Is this actually a real possibility ?

Hard to tell, as far as I know nobody can find their selection criteria.

South Africa does have a history of rejecting continental team quota, Tokyo was sort of an exception to that.

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

The South African articles said there is Olympic quotas up for grabs in diving etc. But when it came to water polo no mention if the team was even qualified. I have reached out and have not heard back yet.

So have I actually. I also just messaged them on Instagram, hopefully either of us can get a response. 

Meanwhile in the women's 4x200m freestyle relay heats, Sienna Angove had the fastest split at 1:58.26. Now I know it sounds like it's nothing too special but it is in fact the fastest time any Canadian has split on a relay in the last year not named Summer McIntosh. And she's still 17 so that's another candidate for the relay in Paris.

Will be interesting to see if Ruck will come in for finals or not.

Edit: 3rd fastest. Forgot about Jansens 1:56 split at world juniors last year.

Edited by Topicmaster1010