website statistics

Boxing IOC Olympic Qualifier 1 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

39 minutes ago, Adriano said:

Maybe it is a possibility to change some results like before in Boxing by judges

But on the other hand there will be a live audience, so we have some hope about transparency but not so much

Any predictions?

51kg

Tsuboi, Hill, Molina, Bibossinov

57kg

Sabyrkhan, Ciftci, Hussamuddin, Uulu

63kg

Usmonov, Abdullaev, Viafara, De La Cruz

71kg

Shymbergenov, Dev, Oliveira, Zhakarieiev

80kg

Oralbay, Gonzalez, Jalidov, Bevan

92kg

Mullujonov, Reyes, Talley, Bereznicki

92kg+

Aboudou, Arzola, Lenzi, Tiafack

Female predictions 

50kg
Balkibekova
Bobokulova 
Kob
Valencia 

54kg
Shekerbekova
Jitpong
Huang
Kovalchuk

57kg
Petecio
Turdibekova

60kg
Oh 
Mesiano 
Whitwell

66kg
Khamidova 
Chen
Moreira 
Walsh 

75kg
Ngamba
Makhno
Holgersson
Wojcik

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, cainjb94 said:

Any predictions?

51kg

Tsuboi, Hill, Molina, Bibossinov

57kg

Sabyrkhan, Ciftci, Hussamuddin, Uulu

63kg

Usmonov, Abdullaev, Viafara, De La Cruz

71kg

Shymbergenov, Dev, Oliveira, Zhakarieiev

80kg

Oralbay, Gonzalez, Jalidov, Bevan

92kg

Mullujonov, Reyes, Talley, Bereznicki

92kg+

Aboudou, Arzola, Lenzi, Tiafack

I would love your prediction for 57kg to come true. I want Hussamuddin to qualify. But he is probably in the worst quarter of the draw. His side of the draw is stacked with 3 other equally good boxers. It will be tough. 
On the other hand I think Deepak has a fair chance to get a quota in 51Kg 

Edited by Roamingrover86

Posted (edited)

Right, let's have a go at predicting these. The lack of a stream and some tough Irish draws have dampened my excitement for this competition considerably but sure look. I'll post an updated rankings for the top 30 per weightclass who are competing here and I'll include where I rank each boxer in my analysis. This is the first big test of their accuracy as well.

Draws here are unseeded like the other qualifying competitions and the competition ends in every weightclass once qualification has been decided so with the exception of W57kg and W60kg there are effectively four separate competitions for a quota spot in each weightclass.

Obviously majority of countries are here but some exceptions include Mongolia, North Korea and DR Congo.

Also going to have to do this in multiple parts based on which weightclasses start on day one because doing these in one night is tough. (Also the 75 emoji limit is giving me trouble)

M51kg

Bracket 1

My pick- Tomoya Tsuboi (3) :JPN, Other contenders- Yuberjen Martinez (6) :COL, Alejandro Claro (12) :CUB, Ari Bonilla (13) :MEX.

I'm not the biggest fan of Tomoya Tsuboi's style but he should start as the favourite for the quota here against a very Americas heavy bracket. He has  a straightforward first fight before a likely clash of styles with the front foot Yuberjen Martinez provided Martinez beat Keymberth Gonzalez (32) :VEN. The other side of the bracket sees a couple of potentially intriguing (quarter finals) with Alejandro Claro Fis likely meeting Omid Ahmadisafa (22) :IOC who has a couple of impressive wins on his resume and 2022 youth world champion Ari Bonilla meeting Luis Delgado (26) :ECU. Claro should come through though which would set up a fight with Tsuboi for the Olympic quota in a fight I wouldn't expect to be a classic.

Bracket 2

My pick- Roscoe Hill (2) :USA, Other contender- Deepak Bhoria (4):IND.

Some interesting fights here but this will almost certainly end up being Hill vs Deepak for the quota. Deepak has the tougher path meeting Nijat Huseynov (19) :AZE, Sakhil Alekhverdovi (16) :GEO and Rudolf Garboyan (21):ARM although he should be comfortably too good for all of them. Hill won't be tested until his third fight against Jiamao Zhang (17) :CHN. Hill vs Deepak should a tremendous fight and will be one of the few we will actually get to watch. I lean towards Hill but it will almost certainly be very close.

Bracket 3

My pick- Martin Molina (5) :ESP, Other contenders- Po Wei Tu (11) :TPE, Kim In-Kyu (15) :KOR, Ramon Nicanor Quiroga (18) :ARG, Dmytro Zamotayev (14) :UKR.

I know I have him pretty high in my rankings but I didn't really expect to be picking Martin Molina for a quota here and despite his favourable draw, I still wouldn't entirely trust him. He has a straightforward opening fight before meeting Kim In-Kyu who seemingly hasn't boxed internationally since 2021 but had some impressive results in the previous Olympic cycle. Po Wei Tu should then await in effectively a semi final as long as he can beat Theophilus Allotey (33) :GHA. The bottom half of the draw sees Ramon Nicanor Quiroga and Dmytro Zamotayev have to navigate tough early fights against Nurzhigit Diushebaev (28) :KGZ and Juanma Lopez (27) :PUR respectively. I wouldn't be surprised to see an upset here, not sure who it is coming from though.

Bracket 4

My pick- Saken Bibossinov (1) :KAZ, Other contenders- Kiaran MacDonald (7) :GBR, Federico Serra (8) :ITA, Roger Ladon (9) :PHI, Istvan Szaka (10) :HUN.

Well after a couple of lighter draws, that was going to leave some serious talent in the bottom bracket. There are two heavyweight first round fights with Kiaran MacDonald meeting Istvan Szaka and Federico Serra meeting Roger Ladon. The respective winners then have a slightly more straightforward fight before meeting eachother. Serra has had a couple of big wins since losing in a quota fight to Samet Gumus :TUR at European games and being at home might be the slight favourite to come through but MacDonald did beat him at 2022 Europeans. Meanwhile Bibbosinov shouldn't have much trouble reaching the quota fight with his toughest fight likely to be against the winner of Cosmin Girleanu (19) :ROU vs Azat Makhmetov (23) :BRN. The 2022 world champion should book his Olympic spot here but he will be tested whoever he ends up meeting in the quota fight.

M71kg

Bracket 1

My pick- Aidan Walsh (4) :IRL, Other contenders- Wanderson de Oliveira (9) :BRA, Rami Kiwan (14):BUL.

Ah the extremely rare last 128 fights, Draw sheet doesn't even fit on one page. Anyway, the one draw where things broke nicely for the Irish boxers. There isn't a ton to say here world bronze medallist Wanderson and Olympic bronze medallist Aidan Walsh meet in their second fight. Whoever wins becomes the massive favourite for the quota and should cruise to a qualifying fight. Rami Kiwan meets Merven Clair (24) :MRI and the winner of that should end up facing Syrgak Abdyzhapar Uulu (25) :KGZin a semi final before probably losing to Walsh or Wanderson. I am pretty confident Aidan Walsh should come through to win here. 

Bracket 2

My pick- Yurii Zakhareiev (1) :UKR, Other contenders- Asadkhuja Muydhinkhujaev (3) :UZB, Zeyad Eashash (7) :JOR, Magomed Schachidov (8) :GER.

This is a tricky bracket with two world champions. 2023 world champion at 67kg Asadkhuja Muydhinkhujaev (although there was a bit of a question mark over whether he should be selected ahead of Khavasbek Asadullaev :UZB) starts off with a straightforward fight but will be severely tested against Magomed Schachidov in his second fight. Yurii Zakhareiev meanwhile also has an interesting second fight against either Rattapol Kadamduan (23) :THA or Alexander Rangel (27) :COL who are both unknown quantities. Muydhinkhujaev and Zakhareiev (jesus, they  couldn't have made their names much trickier to type could they?) would then meet in a "semi final". The bottom half of the draw sees Zeyad Eashash have the navigate a couple of tough fights against former Russian Shokhobzhon Shukurov (30) :TJK and the winner of Bruno Fernandes de Barros (22) :CPV vs Ronald Chavez Jr (32) :PHI. Navigating tricky but winnable fights is not something Eashash always manages to do. He would then face Jorge Cuellar (11) :CUB who doesn't really pose the threat that typically accompanies a Cuban flag. Eashash could easily lose his first fight or beat one of the world champions and pick up the quota. I think a still improving Zakhareiev is the horse to back here.

Bracket 3

My pick- Aslanbek Shymbergenov (2) :KAZ, Other contenders- Damian Durkacz (10) :POL.

I am skeptical about 2023 world champion Aslanbek Shymbergenov's medal prospects for the Olympics but the draw was kind to him and even if it wasn't he should still qualify. His toughest fight will likely be his second one against Damian Durkacz  who has an ability box up and well also down to the quality of his opponent. Durkacz does have to navigate an opening fight against Angel Llanos (17) :PUR. Bayramdurdy Nurmuhammedov (15) :TKM likely awaits Shymbergenov if Nurmuhammedov can beat Virgilio de los Santos (33) :DOM. The bottom half of the bracket should see an interesting "semi final" between Sarkhan Aliyev (13) :AZE and Sergio Martinez (21) :ESP although Aliyev does have to beat Junior Petanqui (20) :CAN to get that far.

Bracket 4

My pick- Nishant Dev (6) :IND, Other contenders- Omari Jones (5) :USA, Lewis Richardson (12) :GBR.

Omari Jones has a fairly straightforward path to a qualifying fight with just his opening bout against Tokyo Olympian Aliaksandr Radzionau (19) :AIN who is one of just 2 Belarussian neutral athletes here. There he should face the winner of Nishant Dev vs 2022 European 75kg silver medallist Lewis Richardson. Richardson came somewhat out of nowhere to get the British spot ahead of Harris Akbar and Garan Croft. I have Omari Jones ahead of Nishant in my rankings but I feel like stylistically this fight suits Nishant so I'm going to pick him.

M92+kg

Bracket 1

My pick- Ayoub Ghadfa el Drissi (3) :ESP , Other contenders- Danis Latypov (10) :BRN, Diego Lenzi (11) :ITA, Ali Feliz (15) :DOM.

The draw kind of opened of for Ayoub Ghadfa to make his second Olympics. His "semi final" fight against home and in form Diego Lenzi should be interesting. On the other side of the bracket should see American based Ali Feliz face off against Danis Latypov provided Feliz can come through against the inexperienced Martin McDonagh (22):IRL. There isn't all that much between Ghadfa, Latypov and Lenzi.

Bracket 2

My pick- Luka Pratljacic (5) :CRO, Other contenders-  Nelvie Tiafack (1) :GER, Christian Salcedo (8) :COL.

This is a pretty tough bracket. Dusan Veletic (14) :SRB faces off against Christian Salcedo in a fight that will test the Colombian. He should make it through his subsequent fight to set up a "semi final" against the winner of Luka Pratljacic (who impressively beat Marko Milun :CRO to get selected) and Dmytro Lovchynskyi (13):UKR. Meanwhile former European champion Nelvie Tiafack was somewhat fortunate to keep his spot in the German selection ahead of the up and coming Nikita Putilov :GER (for me they should have picked Putilov). His toughest fight before the qualifying fight is likely to be against Narender Berwal  (17):IND. Tiafack's recent form has not been great so I'm going to pick Pratljacic here although I certainly would not rule out Salcedo.

Edited by Ogreman