website statistics

Women's Basketball FIBA Olympic Qualification Tournaments 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

22 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Jesus, never heard anything more absurd than this one I read this morning. Who came and why with this idea, it is just beyond me :lol:

FIBA wanted to give women's basketball more opportunities to play or they wanted to charge more hosting fees. It's still a bad system, especially since they were so restricted with how the groups were formed. For example, the United States and Belgium were forced to be in the same group due to a combination of rules.

The old system of host + world champ + continental qualifiers + final qualifier is a much better system. The men  are also pretty terrible where nations relied on results from nations from other continents to determine who qualified.

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

FIBA wanted to give women's basketball more opportunities to play or they wanted to charge more hosting fees. It's still a bad system, especially since they were so restricted with how the groups were formed. For example, the United States and Belgium were forced to be in the same group due to a combination of rules.

From what I read before 2020 the women's qualification system was driven by a desire from national teams to have more meaningful games in the run-up to the Olympics.

The old qualification system was much better and fairer on both the men's and women's side IMO.

Day 1 Results

Xian, China :CHN

:PUR 40-88 :FRA

:CHN 94-47 :NZL

Soprom, Hungary :HUN

:ESP 75-86 :JPN

:CAN 67-55 :HUN

Belem, Brazil :BRA

:GER 73-66 :SRB

:BRA 55-60 :AUS

Antwerp, Belgium :BEL

:SEN 65-72 :NGR

:USA 81-79 :BEL :yikes:

Belem has such a stacked group, shame that one of those teams will miss out on Paris. Other than Japan’s win over Spain, no real upsets today. Didn’t come out on the winning end, but surprised that Brazil kept it close against the Opals, and the same for Belgium against the United States.

Edited by Josh

While Nigeria hasn’t mathematically secured a quota yet, with that win :NGR have essentially qualified for Paris. A Senegal loss tomorrow, which seems highly likely, would clinch it for them.

14 minutes ago, Josh said:

Day 1 Results

Xian, China :CHN

:PUR 40-88 :FRA

:CHN 94-47 :NZL

Soprom, Hungary :HUN

:ESP 75-86 :JPN

:CAN 67-55 :HUN

Belem, Germany :GER

:GER 73-66 :SRB

:BRA 55-60 :AUS

Antwerp, Belgium :BEL

:SEN 65-72 :NGR

:USA 81-79 :BEL :yikes:

Belem has such a stacked group, shame that one of those teams will miss out on Paris. Other than Japan’s win over Spain, no real upsets today. Didn’t come out on the winning end, but surprised that Brazil kept it close against the Opals, and the same for Belgium against the United States.

Small correction, Belem ( not Berlin) is in :BRA & not :GER 😉

1 minute ago, EselTheDonkey said:

If :BRA beats :SRB, Germany will qualify for the Olympics, no matter what else happens? Is this true or do I miss something?

That is correct, because if Germany loses to Australia and Brazil, they’d at worst finish at 1-2 but with the head-to-head win over Serbia.

:CAN didn't seem unbeatable against us at all, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if :ESP beats them today, which would be the end of our chances. Never had much faith in us anyway and based on the match against Canada this Hungarian team isn't on an Olympic level. 

The Olympic lineup will likely be...

:FRA  :CHN  :PUR  :USA  :BEL  :NGR  :AUS  :BRA  :GER  :JPN  :ESP  :CAN 

Edited by Vektor

14 minutes ago, Vektor said:

:CAN didn't seem unbeatable against us at all, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if :ESP beats them today, which would be the end of our chances. Never had much faith in us anyway and based on the match against Canada this Hungarian team isn't on an Olympic level. 

The Olympic lineup will likely be...

:FRA  :CHN  :PUR  :USA  :BEL  :NGR  :AUS  :BRA  :GER  :JPN  :ESP  :CAN 

I would see Serbia and New Zealand instead of Germany and Puerto Rico