website statistics

A good chance for a medal in Paris in a sport or an event that your NOC had no olympic medal before.

• 2 weeks later...

I've long noted a strong anti Australia  attitude on this site

Guess they are the obvious target for many users who resent the large teams Australia qualifies for Olympics  or maybe it's just Europeans being European  and pessimistic about everything and looking for someone to vent their anger on

Americans of course see all non Americans (aliens?) as inherently inferior

1 hour ago, rajiv said:

I've long noted a strong anti Australia  attitude on this site

Guess they are the obvious target for many users who resent the large teams Australia qualifies for Olympics  or maybe it's just Europeans being European  and pessimistic about everything and looking for someone to vent their anger on

Americans of course see all non Americans (aliens?) as inherently 

I love Australia, but their team is really too big. For example, in Rhythmic Gymnastics at the Paris Olympics we will have an Australian group, which has a very low technical level compared to groups that were possibly left out, such as Azerbaijan, Greece or Poland, with a very high technical level, wouldn't it make more sense to give Oceania individual quotas instead a full group? The same thing in artistic swimming, the groups from Canada and the United States are possibly out, but we will have a place for Oceania, couldn't this place be a duet and Australia try to win a place per group like all the other countries? In Boxing, Brazil achieved 9 Olympic places through the very difficult continental competition in the Americas, while Australia managed 12 Olympic places in a continental championship with a low technical level. My opinion, no hate on Australia, but I think the Australian team is inflated and gets quotas very easily compared to countries on other continents. But of course this is not the fault of the Australians, their geographical location. But couldn't Olympic quotas be a little more meritocratic?

Personally I don't think Oceania should even exist as a separate region but I don't think Asia would accept us merging with them and no other solution makes sense. I don't think many Australians outside the rhythmic gymnastics and artistic swimming communities would even notice if Australia didn't have those teams at the Olympics.

Edited by dullard