website statistics

Fencing FIE World Cup 2023 - 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

fun fact...in Today's 3 Team events there have been 9 different Countries on the podium, each with just 1 medal

unthinkable until a few years ago

it's more and more complicated to stay on top of this sport, which makes it always more interesting and exciting

the sword has become very Universal

5 hours ago, copravolley said:

What is the reason for the fencing crisis in Germany? This is probably the first time in many years that no German team will go to the Olympics. This sport is becoming less and less popular in your country, or is it because of less financial support?

I wasn’t alive during the heyday of German fencing, but I think that fencing used to be much more popular. Even 10-15 years ago there was more attention, someone like Britta Heidemann was somewhat popular. Now no one in Germany knows any of the fencers. I think Ebert getting injured also hurt the chances of the women’s foil team, but I am not sure how well positioned they were before her injury. Also Colin Heathcock suddenly deciding to compete for the U.S. probably didn’t help either. With him the men’s Sabre team might have had a better shot at qualifying. Personally I consider the tax payer money spent on fencing a huge waste of money and I wish that all the funding would be cut.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I wasn’t alive during the heyday of German fencing, but I think that fencing used to be much more popular. Even 10-15 years ago there was more attention, someone like Britta Heidemann was somewhat popular. Now no one in Germany knows any of the fencers. I think Ebert getting injured also hurt the chances of the women’s foil team, but I am not sure how well positioned they were before her injury. Also Colin Heathcock suddenly deciding to compete for the U.S. probably didn’t help either. With him the men’s Sabre team might have had a better shot at qualifying. Personally I consider the tax payer money spent on fencing a huge waste of money and I wish that all the funding would be cut.

I remember the great German foil fencer: Peter Joppich, who at the beginning of the 21st century regularly defeated Italian fencers in the decisive stages of the World Championships. Olympic champion in 2008 there was also another German in the foil - Kleibrink. German women foil fencers were also dangerous rivals to Vezzali and Trillini at that time: Anja Muller, Sabine Bau etc. The German epee historical was also always strong. The only weapons where German have never been among the leaders is women's saber - the youngest competition.

Edited by copravolley

9 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

where has German fencing gone?? no team

The German women team in foil would probably have advanced to the Olympics if it weren't for Leonie Ebert's serious injury, while the men's foil is going through a huge crisis, just like the entire epee. The only real chance was the saber men team but France's progress closed the door to Paris for them. On the other hand, let us remember the absence of Russia... If it were not miss of Russia's participation in the qualifications, we would probably not have seen the Italian men's and women's saber teams in Paris. The level in the world is going up very much and it is becoming more and more difficult to compete and win medals. Once upon a time, only Europe and southern Asia mattered: Jap, Kor, Chn + USA in women's saber.

Edited by copravolley

11 hours ago, Benolympique said:

where has German fencing gone?? no team

Not for the first time...also no German teams in 2016 (but then it was only 4 team competitions) and last medal was in 2012. 

In fact, things could have looked much better without Leonie Ebert's injury and Colin Heathcock and Alexandra Ndolo's change of nation.

But Germany has really lost touch with the world leaders in recent years

1 minute ago, EselTheDonkey said:

And while this by no means should excuse the downward spiral in German's fencing, part of the problem is the qualifying system. Really, at least the men's sabre team should have been at Paris. They are number 6 in the world. They deserve it.

Yup.

They need to change it to the first 4 spots are awarded to the 4 continents, and then the top 4 remaining teams, not the other away around

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Yup.

They need to change it to the first 4 spots are awarded to the 4 continents, and then the top 4 remaining teams, not the other away around

they should just enlarge the field to 12 teams (and get rid of those non-sports like breakdance, artistic swimming & co. to make space for that, if they simply can't do it straight forward)

13 minutes ago, phelps said:

they should just enlarge the field to 12 teams (and get rid of those non-sports like breakdance, artistic swimming & co. to make space for that, if they simply can't do it straight forward)

We have to be careful with our wishes.

Katsiadakis and his EcCom considered Olympic qualification reform. They established a special team to deal with this question... led by Katsiadakis himself.

And came to... nothing.

But one of the proposals was to reduce teams to 2 fencers - not to enlarge team tournament but to award more individual quotas.

In my oppinion - 2-member teams would be a total disaster - completely another discipline. Bit it is just my oppinion.