website statistics

European Championships 2022

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Naaaah, this would be even worse. Nearly all of the Lithuanian team were focused on 200m since they were children, upping it to 500m at least gave them the chance to try, with 1000m distances only they'd all probably have to be retired, because European and World Champions are struggling to convert their results to 500m as is. 

Žustautas holds a WR in 200m C1, Seja world & European champion, Korobov, Navakauskas, Olejnik, Nekrošius, Maldonis, Ramanauskas, Lankas.

All of them have many medals from every championship imaginable, not a single one of them is doing the event that they were doing when they won these.

Rio De Janeiro bronze medalists Ramanauskas and Lankas couldn't even make the team for the K4 500m, because that became the priority event for every single athlete that still had Olympic dreams to realise.

I think the 500m male events have to go because it's too short as Olympic distances for K2, C2 and K4. I mean, we had 1000m as the K4 Olympic distance since 1964 for a good reason, you can get much better races on that, while on 500m it's over before it "gets good". The sprint canoers should get their 200m event back and maybe hope for an expansion to 14 events, in which case men's canoe would have both C1 200m and C1 1000m. And I say this as someone whose nation clearly benefitted from K2 500 becoming the Olympic event over the K2 1000m. 

48 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Yeah, Canoe is probably the most fucked sport in terms of Olympic events. The inclusion of extreme canoe slalom over the 200m is ridiculous and so is the short, 500m distance for the men's K4, K2 and C2. 

I think it's just the fact of having 3 different distances that did fuck canoeing up (and also the women developing too little and too late the "C" disciplines)...

imho, Flatwater Canoeing shouldn't be afraid to take inspiration from Rowing and they should choose an Olympic distance and run all their 12 races (K1, K2, K4, C1, C2 and C4, all of them for both M and W) on that given distance (to be trustable, I'd prefer 1000m for all, but 500m could also be an option...200m definitely not, it's not even canoeing, it's a strenght competition with a paddle in the hands)...

that would be the perfect Olympic program, matching also all the IOC requirements in terms of gender equality and having the same events for men and women...

if ICF wasn't so messy in their management, they would have come up with a proposal like that many years ago and they wouldn't have been screwed big time by the IOC like it happened, instead...

8 minutes ago, phelps said:

I think it's just the fact of having 3 different distances that did fuck canoeing up (and also the women developing too little and too late the "C" disciplines)...

imho, Flatwater Canoeing shouldn't be afraid to take inspiration from Rowing and they should choose an Olympic distance and run all their 12 races (K1, K2, K4, C1, C2 and C4, all of them for both M and W) on that given distance (to be trustable, I'd prefer 1000m for all, but 500m could also be an option...200m definitely not, it's not even canoeing, it's a strenght competition with a paddle in the hands)...

that would be the perfect Olympic program, matching also all the IOC requirements in terms of gender equality and having the same events for men and women...

if ICF wasn't so messy in their management, they would have come up with a proposal like that many years ago and they wouldn't have been screwed big time by the IOC like it happened, instead...

That's not plausible because not even women's kayak is ready for the 1000m to become an Olympic distance, while at the same time it would be beyond terrible if men's kayak and canoe would abandon the 1000m. Canoe Sprint isn't Rowing, canoe always had more than one distance while rowing has a more than one century old tradition of having one distance. Canoe Sprint should be its own thing, not copy another disciple just because it looks similar. 

52 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Yeah, I really hate the whole young and urban movement and the absolute necessity to try and change everything to appeal to no one. 

No sport is safe now.

Skateboarding, breakdancing, golf, rollerblading, sport climbing were not Olympic sports for a reason. Basketball 3x3 is absolutely unnecessary as well.

Modern Pentathlon with a human obstacle course.

I'm getting tired of these awful decisions and with every year there's more of them. 

Personally, I don´t mind Sports Climbing. Skateboarding is a bit so-so and Golf needn't be included, because they don't really take it all that seriously.

However, I can understand why they cut the canoe sprint programme somewhat. Comparing to swimming, everything feels unfair, however.

I can imagine why some of these changes are happening, but they are always forgetting part of what is important in actually making these changes.

14 minutes ago, Vektor said:

That's not plausible because not even women's kayak is ready for the 1000m to become an Olympic distance, while at the same time it would be beyond terrible if men's kayak and canoe would abandon the 1000m. Canoe Sprint isn't Rowing, canoe always had more than one distance while rowing has a more than one century old tradition of having one distance. Canoe Sprint should be its own thing, not copy another disciple just because it looks similar. 

then, let's go back to the old glory days before this 200m mess...all the men's events over the 1000m distance and the women's events over the 500m distance (provided we can't have anymore 2 races in the same discipline in the men's division to respect the gender equality and so on)...

but just stay away from any messy mix of distances in both the male and female divisions...

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

then, let's go back to the old glory days before this 200m mess...all the men's events over the 1000m distance and the women's events over the 500m distance...

but just stay away from any messy MIX of DISTANCES in both the MALE AND FEMALE divisions...

Oh my god, everyone, he's done it! He saved canoeing sprint. :clap:

Mixed relays for K4 and C4 as Olympic events and we can delete the single K1 1000 and C1 1000, because it's not fun to row so long without company :) 

12 minutes ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

Personally, I don´t mind Sports Climbing. Skateboarding is a bit so-so and Golf needn't be included, because they don't really take it all that seriously.

However, I can understand why they cut the canoe sprint programme somewhat. Comparing to swimming, everything feels unfair, however.

I can imagine why some of these changes are happening, but they are always forgetting part of what is important in actually making these changes.

what all the swimming detractors need to understand, it's the fact that swimming, athletics and gymnastics are the symbol of the basic human activity...they remind to prehistoric life and the fight between man and nature...

moreover, they are the core of the core sports at the Olympics since the very first edition in 1896 (and they were present -in different form, but still- also in the ancient Greek Olimpiads)...

there's no chance the other sports can be compared to those 3 and ask for the same consideration...it will never happen, even with this IOC obsessed by the youth and urban sh*t (or, better, what they think it's youth and urban, but actually it's at least aged by today's youngsters if not even unknown by them)...

3 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Oh my god, everyone, he's done it! He saved canoeing sprint. :clap:

Mixed relays for K4 and C4 as Olympic events and we can delete the single K1 1000 and C1 1000, because it's not fun to row so long without company :) 

I think you completely misunderstood what I wrote, my friend...;)