website statistics

European Championships 2022

Totallympics

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

I think you completely misunderstood what I wrote, my friend...;)

I completely understood what you wrote, but you completely misunderstood my satire and irony :p

I'm just poking fun with how we can save canoeing even more than its already being 'saved'.

Poor Anja Osterman was full of mixed emotions after the 500m kayak final today. First she thought she won the bronze medal, but they then ruled that she was 0.003s slower than Emma Jorgensen. She couldn't believe it. Then just a minute before the ceremony the judges overturned the results again this time giving both women the bronze medal. She almost came to the presentation in her racing gear :d

34 minutes ago, phelps said:

what all the swimming detractors need to understand, it's the fact that swimming, athletics and gymnastics are the symbol of the basic human activity...they remind to prehistoric life and the fight between man and nature...

moreover, they are the core of the core sports at the Olympics since the very first edition in 1896 (and they were present -in different form, but still- also in the ancient Greek Olimpiads)...

there's no chance the other sports can be compared to those 3 and ask for the same consideration...it will never happen, even with this IOC obsessed by the youth and urban sh*t (or, better, what they think it's youth and urban, but actually it's at least aged by today's youngsters if not even unknown by them)...

A 'swimming detractor' not convinced here. Swimming olympic program almost double up from 1964 to 1968. Coincidentally, it's also at that time that television (mainly american) gained importance and coincidentally again it also allowed the US to secure their top position at the medals table with more than 50 medals at the pool that year (lol, we can all imagine how people wearing red stuff thought about that at the time).

It's also interesting how the first olympic program was draw. Swimming was merely one section of the so called nautic sports (Part E) alongside rowing and yachting (sailing). Doesn't seem that core to me.

IMO, swimming as this second major olympic sport alongside athletics is a very artificial thing and only feels ok if you come from one these very few countries that can rack up medals at this sport every 4 years.

Athletics is the only king.

Programme_JO_1896.jpg

Yeah, let be fair here for a second, There is too much swimming in the program than there should be.

Also I will never understand the logic of swimming Butterfly, it is completely impractical style and looks weird to me. :lol: (sorry, I have never seen anyone swim like that in my life outside of official competitions, but I may be wrong, I do not see people swimming so often here :p)

Swimming being one of the two major Olympic sports isn't "artificial". It's far more popular than the other traditional Olympic sports, with the exception of athletics. 

And even if you think that swimming having 30+ Olympic events is some sort of American conspiracy, the "damage" has already been done. Regardless of what was originally intended, swimming is "The Olympic Sport" now with athletics on its side, there's no going back.