website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

8 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Even in events which are very close there's no real need to watch the race. It's just plain action . Tell me a sport with 10+ gold medals that is less diverse than swimming. 

Action is important in sport, which should be diverse or at least not have too many events for the same. Team sports, Racquet Sports, Martial Arts, Ball Sports and even modern pentathlon and skateboarding you can watch, swimming there's nothing really to watch. Just swim swim swim. 

Events in swimming are same like having Pool at the games - snooker,3ball,5ball, 6 ball, 7 ball, 9 ball 10 ball for men and women. 

What do you mean by action? I have seen more action in some relays than in most sports. Swimming is just like any other sport, with the advantage that it's easy to follow (I mean, even if there are technical rules, it's all about who touches the wall first) and is a skill that everyone has tried in their life so it's easy to connect. Just like athletics, gymnastics, cycling, etc.

To stay on topic, highlight of the day is McIntosh PB, but also Titmus slower than expected and O'Callaghan faster than Worlds. The 400 FR could be interesting.

8 minutes ago, NMQ said:

What do you mean by action? I have seen more action in some relays than in most sports. Swimming is just like any other sport, with the advantage that it's easy to follow (I mean, even if there are technical rules, it's all about who touches the wall first) and is a skill that everyone has tried in their life so it's easy to connect. Just like athletics, gymnastics, cycling, etc.

A couple of  relays shouldn't be an excuse for the entire sport. As I told before I'll never understand the craze for this trash, I mean I also hate ice hockey but still it has something that can be watched, swimming has never fascinated me before and is not expected to be any different. That's my personal opinion :d

But I do love lifesaving as a sport any day. 

I will miss the morning session today but looking forward to catching up on the results

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

14 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I can see people finding swimming a bit repetitive, but I don’t know what races you’ve been watching if you think there’s no action.

There are a few events where one person dominates, but it’s not like that’s a phenomenon limited to swimming.

I do agree that programs could be reworked to create more difference between events. 

of course I don't agree at all with our friend @Fly_like_a_don because Swimming has offered the audience some of the most exciting moments in the Olympic history...

and if in general liking it or not it's up to personal taste, saying that there's no action it's pure blasphemy...:evil:

coming to the quote, I just made a quick research and I found out that in the entire Olympic history (some events were already there in the 1st modern Games, Athens 1896, most of them though are there since 1968 only) there have been very, very few "doubles" between 100m and 200m meters races (and 200m + 400m Freestyle)...

that's the full list:

Men

100m + 200m Freestyle

1968, Michael Wenden, AUS
1972, Mark Spitz, USA
2000, Pieter Van Den Hoogenband, NED

200m + 400m Freestyle

1992, Yevgeny Sadovyi, RUS (CIS)
1996, Danyon Loader, NZL
2004, Ian Thorpe, AUS

100m + 200m Backstroke

1968 and 1972, Roland Matthes, GDR
1976, John Naber, USA
1984, Rick Carey, USA
2000, Lenny Kreyzelburg, USA
2004, Aaron Peirsol, USA
2016, Ryan Murphy, USA
2020, Evgeny Rylov, RUS

100m + 200m Breastroke

2000, Domenico Fioravanti, ITA
2004 and 2008, Kosuke Kitajima, JPN

100m + 200m Butterfly

1972, Mark Spitz, USA
1996, Denis Pankratov, RUS
2004 and 2008, Michael Phelps, USA

Women

100m + 200m Freestyle

1976, Kornelia Ender, GDR
1980, Barbara Krause, GDR

200m + 400m Freestyle

1968, Debbie Meyer, USA
1972, Shane Gould, AUS
2016, Katie Ledecky, USA
2020, Ariarne Titmus, AUS

100m + 200m Backstroke

1972, Melissa Belote, USA
1976, Ulrike Richter, GDR
1984, Rica Reinisch, GDR
1992, Krisztina Egerszegi, HUN
2000, Diana Mocanu, ROU
2012, Missy Franklin, USA
2020, Kaylee McKeown, AUS

100m + 200m Breastroke

1996, Penelope Heyns, RSA

100m + 200m Butterfly

1984, Mary T. Meagher, USA

as you might notice, the only style with a few more doubles is Backstroke (actually 200m and 400m Medley are usually a double for the same athlete, but it's the only exception in the whole individual schedule)...

in a few disciplines, the doubles are almost unheard of...

so, that's the simple demonstration that there's way more diversity than people can even imagine in the current swimming program (which doesn't need too much changes, just add the 50m for Back, Breast and Fly and get rid of the mixed gender relays)...

p.s. and if we eliminate the doubles obtained by the East Germany's girls (you know why) and by the 2 greatest male swimmers ever (Spitz and Phelps, who got the most of them), the list is basically down to a few "white flies" in the whole history of the Olympic Swimming...

so, please...feel free to dislike swimming on personal taste, but stop all the bullshits about the rest...

37 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

:IND Looking for their first Gold in the 55kg Weightlifting - big lead at halfway.

Sargar does his elbow going for Gold, but might have enough….

Crazily has another attempt & the inevitable happens.  :crazy:

:LBR Have two lifts for Gold

Gets it!

2 hours ago, phelps said:

of course I don't agree at all with our friend @Fly_like_a_don because Swimming has offered the audience some of the most exciting moments in the Olympic history...

and if in general liking it or not it's up to personal taste, saying that there's no action it's pure blasphemy...:evil:

coming to the quote, I just made a quick research and I found out that in the entire Olympic history (some events were already there in the 1st modern Games, Athens 1896, most of them though are there since 1968 only) there have been very, very few "doubles" between 100m and 200m meters races (and 200m + 400m Freestyle)...

that's the full list:

Men

100m + 200m Freestyle

1968, Michael Wenden, AUS
1972, Mark Spitz, USA
2000, Pieter Van Den Hoogenband, NED

200m + 400m Freestyle

1992, Yevgeny Sadovyi, RUS (CIS)
1996, Danyon Loader, NZL
2004, Ian Thorpe, AUS

100m + 200m Backstroke

1968 and 1972, Roland Matthes, GDR
1976, John Naber, USA
1984, Rick Carey, USA
2000, Lenny Kreyzelburg, USA
2004, Aaron Peirsol, USA
2016, Ryan Murphy, USA
2020, Evgeny Rylov, RUS

100m + 200m Breastroke

2000, Domenico Fioravanti, ITA
2004 and 2008, Kosuke Kitajima, JPN

100m + 200m Butterfly

1972, Mark Spitz, USA
1996, Denis Pankratov, RUS
2004 and 2008, Michael Phelps, USA

Women

100m + 200m Freestyle

1976, Kornelia Ender, GDR
1980, Barbara Krause, GDR

200m + 400m Freestyle

1968, Debbie Meyer, USA
1972, Shane Gould, AUS
2016, Katie Ledecky, USA
2020, Ariarne Titmus, AUS

100m + 200m Backstroke

1972, Melissa Belote, USA
1976, Ulrike Richter, GDR
1984, Rica Reinisch, GDR
1992, Krisztina Egerszegi, HUN
2000, Diana Mocanu, ROU
2012, Missy Franklin, USA
2020, Kaylee McKeown, AUS

100m + 200m Breastroke

1996, Penelope Heyns, RSA

100m + 200m Butterfly

1984, Mary T. Meagher, USA

as you might notice, the only style with a few more doubles is Backstroke (actually 200m and 400m Medley are usually a double for the same athlete, but it's the only exception in the whole individual schedule)...

in a few disciplines, the doubles are almost unheard of...

so, that's the simple demonstration that there's way more diversity than people can even imagine in the current swimming program (which doesn't need too much changes, just add the 50m for Back, Breast and Fly and get rid of the mixed gender relays)...

p.s. and if we eliminate the doubles obtained by the East Germany's girls (you know why) and by the 2 greatest male swimmers ever (Spitz and Phelps, who got the most of them), the list is basically down to a few "white flies" in the whole history of the Olympic Swimming...

so, please...feel free to dislike swimming on personal taste, but stop all the bullshits about the rest...

I always find it hilarious people want to fix something that isn't broken. And then we end up with Olympic "sports" like break dancing and e-sports (looming) :lol: In 2236 world will look like in this Surrogates movie with Bruce Willis. I'm quite certain of that.