website statistics

Pan American Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Less than one month to go, should we do some medal table predictions?

As usual, USA is too far ahead of the field, with Canada and Brazil fighting for second. From what I've seen, Canada has a very strong team in many sports. Of course a reduced Athletics team can hurt their medal tally, but Brazil isn't that strong in this sport even with most of their best athletes. Given recent results in the Central American Games, I think Mexico has the edge over Colombia. Mexico was top 3 in Lima 2019 and definitely have the potential to be top 5 again.

Argentina is the one nation that I think that could spoil this top 5 (they were 5th in 2019), especially ahead of Colombia - which won more medals last year at the South American Games. Once a top sports nation, Cuba is declining in recent multi-sport competitions, but still could make top 7. Wouldn't be that surprising if Chile got a massive home advantage and got better than 8th (which is the same result they had in 2019). For 9th/10th, Ecuador and Venezuela are too close. Dominican Republic could finish ahead of both, though, just like it did in 2019. A former top 10 in their home Games, I don't think Peru will repeat the feat this time.

1 :USA
2 :CAN
3 :BRA
4 :MEX
5 :COL
6 :ARG
7 :CUB
8 :CHI
9 :ECU
10 :VEN

Canada has a great chance at finishing second in the overall medal count, but sometimes we struggle with gold medals so I think Brazil may have the edge there. Mexico continues to make the leap towards the Brazil/Canada tier. Colombia wins out in the next tier. While I think Argentina will get more medals, Cuba will win more golds to finish sixth. Chile uses the host nation boost to finish 8th, but close to Colombia/Cuba/Argentina. Despite falling off in recent years I think Venezuela gets 9th. Tenth is quite competitive. It likely comes down to either the Dominican Republic or Ecuador, but I'd also give a decent chance to Puerto Rico.

1. :USA

2. :BRA

3. :CAN

4. :MEX

5. :COL

6. :CUB

7. :ARG

8. :CHI

9. :VEN

10. :DOM

:ARU could have entered the Mixed Team Air Pistol event if Elhege was gifted a quota on the men’s side…

This is an Olympic qualification event. CONATIRO should honestly find an athlete for all 244 quotas :old:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, intoronto said:

3 countries did not enter in track and field. Any guesses on which ones?

My guess: Suriname, Aruba and perhaps Haiti

If not Haiti, maybe one of the Central American NOCs?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela