website statistics

Sport Events Cancelled due to Coronavirus Outbreak

up and down

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sorry for spreading this virus but I had to do something to make this happen :p 

The Mugello round is scheduled for May 31st. That's the big deadline test. Misano is held in September so under no immediate threat right now.

It's not sports, but the E3 has been cancelled, which is a rather big deal in game world.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

The Mugello round is scheduled for May 31st. That's the big deadline test. Misano is held in September so under no immediate threat right now.

Assen 18-19 April and Imola 9-10 May will give a pretty good indication as well, since both WSBK and MotoGP are Dorna events.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Wumo said:

Due to the current situation in Italy, the Italian Gymnastics Federation has decided to cancel the Jesolo Cup in Women’s Artistic Gymnastics that was scheduled on 4-5 April.
Artistic Gymnastics – The Doha Apparatus World Cup (18-21 March 2020) is now postponed to 3-6 June 2020.
Rhythmic Gymnastics – The Pesaro World Cup (3-5 April) is now postponed to 5-7 June 2020
Trampoline Gymnastics – The Brescia World Cup (24-25 April) is now postponed to 19-20 June 2020.

https://www.gymnastics.sport/site/news/displaynews.php?idNews=2827

Also, the artistic gymnastics all around world cup in Stuttgart has been canceled. This is insane. I would be okay with a closed doors event, but canceling it is one of the worst things that could happen to the Olympic qualification system.

Edited by thiago_simoes

Can’t wait to read everyone’s “end of the year” posts at this point :p

At this 2021 is looking like a jam-packed year. Personally, I’d prefer moving the Summer Olympics to 2022 (if we have to). We can get some of the old “happens every four years” nostalgia back, and there’s way less international sporting events that year. Athletes would also have a shorter season geared specifically for the Olympics. If this were to happen, I’d almost be in favor of full reset of Olympic qualifications.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It's not sports, but the E3 has been cancelled, which is a rather big deal in game world.

Microsoft already pulled out weeks ago. The conference was already dead :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Can’t wait to read everyone’s “end of the year” posts at this point :p

At this 2021 is looking like a jam-packed year. Personally, I’d prefer moving the Summer Olympics to 2022 (if we have to). We can get some of the old “happens every four years” nostalgia back, and there’s way less international sporting events that year. Athletes would also have a shorter season geared specifically for the Olympics. If this were to happen, I’d almost be in favor of full reset of Olympic qualifications.

Right, Commonwealth Games, Asian Games and Volleyball World Champs would be screwed by this. No way they postpone SOG by two full years. They're lucky enough the Qatar World Cup will be held in December already. This means football (soccer) season will start early and would overlap with the SOG if they are moved to 2022.

Athletics:

European Throwing Cup (March 21-22) in Leiria, Portugal, has been postponed.

https://www.european-athletics.org/competitions/european-throwing-cup/news/article=european-throwing-cup-2020-leiria-portugal-postponed/

Prague Half Marathon (March 28) has been postponed.

https://www.runczech.com/en/useful/for-the-media/news/the-22nd-sportisimo-prague-half-marathon-is-postponed-26642.shtml

Vienna City Marathon (April 19) has been cancelled.

https://www.vienna-marathon.com/?newsCategorie=1&surl=aaabf0d39951f3e6c3e8a7911df524c2&level2=0#news-goto-3273

It seems I'm going to have some quiet weeks when it comes to my weekly updates on qualified athletes...:(

Edited by Wumo

25 minutes ago, hckosice said:

+ I can easily imagine :HUN  could sue our league and ice hockey federation in court.

Your two clubs DVTK and MAC Budapest have paid really BIG money thanks to your government help to play two seasons in our league, now the league is canceled 3 rounds before hte end of the regular season + both clubs were well in way to qualify for the play-offs, especially in Miskolc the matches used to be sold out quite regullarly...

Well I am not so much well versed in the ice hockey world, but as for the law suit, EBEL and DEL is canceled the same way you did - will there be law suits as well? 

With regards to other sports, it seems now at the short term every event will be either canceled or matches played behind closed doors

One of the wonders of Hungarian club football is that there are first league matches with an attendance figure of around 500, so they could go on with open doors, complying with the new rules :d:d

Probably the bigger head-ache here for those concerned is the fate of the Giro'd Italia (the state paid a lot of money to organize the Grande partenza) and the Euro 2020