website statistics

Weightlifting IWF World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 minute ago, phelps said:

I know, but he's limiting his chances in that class

most likely, the 18 yr old guy has a lot more potential to gain BW and improve his score, so it's kind of an obligated move to get down to 89kg for Abokahla, but still...

As far as I know Abokahla didn’t gain a lot of weight to play in 96 .. easy to return back to 89.. but you know the non-Olympic category is much easier competition (generally speaking)

regarding his position is not very secured in 89 category they said it’s secured by continental quota

and actually he just moved down 1 position 

31 minutes ago, El Analyzer said:

As far as I know Abokahla didn’t gain a lot of weight to play in 96 .. easy to return back to 89..

he was weighted 95.81 today. almost the max he could to compete at 96kg. 

but yeah he is almost guaranteed a quota at 89kg. so he only needs to cut just once, for the Olympics itself.

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

he was weighted 95.81 today. almost the max he could to compete at 96kg. 

but yeah he is almost guaranteed a quota at 89kg. so he only needs to cut just once, for the Olympics itself.

That’s good to know .. I got the info (he didn’t gain so much weight) from Egyptian Journalist .. I presume he measures (so much weight) as +30 kg 😂😂

but all the info from Egyptian federation he is going back to his 89 body weight.. my personal opinion that’s too risky.. however winning gold in W CH is giving him a high confidence for sure.. we will see

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

and some guys like Nurudinov might cut weight from 109kg. 

This is why I support the idea of moving away from weight classes in combat sports and strength events. The purpose of weight classes should be to allow people to compete fairly at their natural body weight. Instead, athletes/coaches/nations have developed all sorts of extreme methods to gain/cut weight. It isn’t healthy for athletes, and it honestly defeats the purpose of weight classes. I’m not sure how feasible it is to do away with weight classes, but I would agree with those saying other classification systems should be trialed.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

I also think looking at his body it won't be easy for him to cut weight. @thepharoah should know better but at least for now I think he is going 89kg but I might be wrong

but I don't think 395kg will be enough for medal in Paris. lots of favorites didn't show their best yet. some of them are easily capable of lifting +400kg total. and some guys like Nurudinov might cut weight from 109kg. 

i don't think he will cut out his weight , i've never seen this in Egyptian weightlifting , he will do nothing in Paris i'm sure , BUT HE CAN CELEBRATE BEING a World Champion even in non-olympic weight category , Mahmoud hosny is a very promising talent , he already made YWR last year in C&J in -89 kg with a 193 lift , so he improved it to 209 here , he's able to improve a lot and i'm very confident that he will be a top candidate for medal in 2028 if weightlifting stays in Olympic program

Edited by thepharoah

12 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

This is why I support the idea of moving away from weight classes in combat sports and strength events. The purpose of weight classes should be to allow people to compete fairly at their natural body weight. Instead, athletes/coaches/nations have developed all sorts of extreme methods to gain/cut weight. It isn’t healthy for athletes, and it honestly defeats the purpose of weight classes. I’m not sure how feasible it is to do away with weight classes, but I would agree with those saying other classification systems should be trialed.

it's impossible, because more weight = more natural strenght in any case (even for non trained people)

it would be too dangerous not to separate the contenders by this criteria

some sports do not need to cut weight in a drastic manner (karate and taekwondo, for instance), others instead heavily rely on extreme weight cut and then gaining that extra-kilos after the official weighting before the actual competition (wrestling and weightlifting the mostly exposed to that practice)

the problem could be solved by having the official weight-in just minutes before the action (and repeated controls through the day/-s), but those who always used some methods are against any innovation (even if it's done for health reasons)

p.s. Taekwondo is experimenting classes based on height rather than weight at youth level (the recent Cadet Worlds used that system), but I don't think it makes sense in any other combat sport where the extreme weight cut is a problem...it's just the nature of Taekwondo that allows this classification (and only in very young people, not yet fully developed in their bodies and, above all, muscles)

4 hours ago, El Analyzer said:

5 countries have 3 or more doping violations, do we know what would be the decision? excluded from Paris or just reduced quota ?

they are :KAZ:TKM:PAK:TUR:UKR 

if they actually want to save the sport, they should be excluded in full from Paris 2024

the rules are clear :evil:

Edited by phelps

2 hours ago, phelps said:

if they actually want to save the sport, they should be excluded in full from Paris 2024

the rules are clear :evil:

unfortunately the rules aren't clear :facepalm:

the "rule" says countries with 3 or more maximum doping sanctions (4years suspension) will be banned for sure but most guys don't get the max 4 years suspension. for example Rejepov of TKM didn't (he accepted his fault and received 3 years) 

in this case IWF can exclude them from the Olympics or reduce their quotas. which is terrible, the penalty should be clear but it's not in this case

btw we might have another world champion from group B , 399kg total from Jang Yeon Hak sounds good enough for a podium finish.