website statistics

Best Sports Moments of The (Correct) Decade From 2010-2019

Olympian1010

On 29/12/2019 at 10:29, Pifta said:

I wanted to look for the greatest comebacks of the decade. On the web, I mostly found American sports, like baseball or handegg, that I do not follow.

I think this is the best topic to ask. One example in my mind is Formula 1, 2011 Canadian GP, when Jenson Button was in the pits 5 times, hit Alonso, hit teammate Hamilton, got a penalty, with 30 laps to go, he was dead last. Aaaand in the last lap he overtook Vettel for the win.

Can you mention examples of comebacks where a sportsperson dropped back to last, but miracously managed to win?

Mathieu van der Poel closing a rather significant gap in the final kilometers of this year's Amstel Gold Race and taking the win in the very last meters after an incredibly long sprint :bowdown: 

Different kind of comeback, but still. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

17 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The Associated Press has named Serena Williams and LeBron James as the athletes of the decade.

How delightfully boring and American these choices are.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

How delightfully boring and American these choices are.

I thought they were both good choices. Like it or not, they are athletes who defined the decade.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I thought they were both good choices. Like it or not, they are athletes who defined the decade.

US sports media is guilty of tunnel vision. I'm pretty sure other than Federer and Bolt they'd ignore any non-US athlete possible.

32 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

US sports media is guilty of tunnel vision. I'm pretty sure other than Federer and Bolt they'd ignore any non-US athlete possible.

I don’t know. I mean Serena and LeBron have really defined the decade in my opinion. Most people know who both of them are. They have both incredible success. They’ve both used their voices to fight for social change. They both came from nothing to be the greatest in their sports. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

59 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, by rather unsavory behavior in the case of one of them.

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t know. I mean Serena and LeBron have really defined the decade in my opinion. Most people know who both of them are. They have both incredible success. They’ve both used their voices to fight for social change. They both came from nothing to be the greatest in their sports. 

Most people outside the USA know who James is but have zero idea other than "he plays basketball".