website statistics

Curling 2023 - 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

15 minutes ago, Swewi said:

Congrats on Retornaz win! Italy is on its way to become a powerhouse in curling despite very small base of players if I am not mistaken.

Yeah, the irony is that many nations can become strong just by sponsoring a small core of professional players even without large numbers further down the pyramid.

Edited by Grassmarket

37 minutes ago, Swewi said:

Congrats on Retornaz win! Italy is on its way to become a powerhouse in curling despite very small base of players if I am not mistaken.

Yup, Italy have something around 300 curling players (+200 of this are master). We had an Olympic effect with Torini 2006, the curling mania, and it's surge again after Beijing gold medal. It's a great moment for our curling 

51 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Yup, Italy have something around 300 curling players (+200 of this are master). We had an Olympic effect with Torini 2006, the curling mania, and it's surge again after Beijing gold medal. It's a great moment for our curling 

That is very impressing! Discussed this with my team mates during the swedish super league and we think Retornaz will win the olympic gold in 2026!

Also interesting that only 1 of 8 quarter finalists in the National (the grand slam event last week) was canadian

Edited by Swewi

• 4 weeks later...

Nutrien AG Solutions Western Showdown Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada :CAN

Lots of big names competing here. 

Men

1. :SUI Team Schwaller

2. :SUI Team Brunner

3. :CAN Team McEwen

3. :USA Team Dropkin

Women

1. :KOR Team Kim

2. :CAN Team Campbell

3. :SWE Team Wrana

3. :JPN Team Fujisawa

Full Results

Championship finals are set at the GSOC WFG Masters! :ITA Team Retornaz will go for a 3rd consecutive GSOC title against :SCO Team Whyte in the men’s final, while :CAN Team Homan will take on :SUI Team Tirinzoni in the women’s final. 

Not a good day for my favourite teams, as :SWE Team Edin fell in the tiebreaker round, :CAN Team Gushue in the quarterfinals, :SUI Team Schwaller and :CAN Team Einarson in the semifinals. :cry:

Edited by Josh

:CAN Team Homan win the women’s title at the GSOC WFG* Masters, after defeating :SUI Team Tirinzoni 8-4!

Team Homan now improves to 32-4 on the season! Hopefully they can bring this form to next years Scotties (along with Worlds if they qualify) it’s been a long time since Canada’s last won a World/Olympic title in curling. 

Edited by Josh