website statistics

Summer Paralympic Games Paris 2024

Josh

Anyone else think there should be a bit more leniency towards false starts in athletics in certain categories? I was watching the men's 100m in a category I don't remember and someone just got DQ'ed because he simply wasn't able to stay in the starting position....you know, due to missing a hand and therefore not having full stability.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

First ever medalist across both the Olympics or Paralympics.

Awesome!

I wonder, are there more countries that have won at least 1 Paralympic medal but no Olympic medal or countries that have won at least 1 Olympic but no Paralympic medal? :p 

I guess the latter, but with Paralympic sports of course being significantly less competitive, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few countries with Paralympic but no Olympic medals. On the other hand, I can definitely imagine in certain countries coming up with any kind of a sports career is extra tough for disabled people.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Awesome!

I wonder, are there more countries that have won at least 1 Paralympic medal but no Olympic medal or countries that have won at least 1 Olympic but no Paralympic medal? :p 

I guess the latter, but with Paralympic sports of course being significantly less competitive, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few countries with Paralympic but no Olympic medals. On the other hand, I can definitely imagine in certain countries coming up with any kind of a sports career is extra tough for disabled people.

Only one I can think of is Faroe Islands for obvious reasons :d

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

First ever medalist across both the Olympics or Paralympics.

:NEP joins :ANG:BIH:LAO:LBA:MLT:PLE:PNG:RWA on the list of nations with a medal at the Paralympic Games, but not at the Olympic Games (assuming my research is correct).

Ask and you shall receive @heywoodu and @intoronto

Edit: :FRO was left off the list, since they don't keep as a sperate team at the Olympics.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, rybak said:

3rd medal and 2nd gold for Poland for now. Already better than at Olympics, but it was widely expected.

Roza Kozakowska was disqualifed, unfourtunately. 

The resullts system was she was in breach of rule R6.16.1: Noncompliance of equipment – racing chairs, running frames, throwing frames, prosthetic devices, helmets, tethers and eye masks/opaque glasses

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Paralympics is a bit weird, results can easily change after protests

Iran finished the day with 1 bronze in throwing events but then all of sudden that bronze is now upgraded to silver and another 4th place finish is also upgraded to silver medal position ! so that's 2 silver medals instead of 1 bronze.

I'm afraid that was mostly at Poland's expense , which lost a gold medal and downgraded from silver to bronze in another event.

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Roza Kozakowska was disqualifed, unfourtunately. 

The resullts system was she was in breach of rule R6.16.1: Noncompliance of equipment – racing chairs, running frames, throwing frames, prosthetic devices, helmets, tethers and eye masks/opaque glasses

I'm hoping that it's an mistake or even if something did or anyone from staff did wrong will explain this and will give her title back. It was enough that she did injured herself during competition and will be probably unable to compete in shot put in four days...

13 minutes ago, rybak said:

I'm hoping that it's an mistake or even if something did or anyone from staff did wrong will explain this and will give her title back. It was enough that she did injured herself during competition and will be probably unable to compete in shot put in four days...

I can confirm that's not a software mistake. protests (and therefore changing results) like this happen all the time in Para athletics. I don't know if a counter-protest works or not but as of now she is disqualified unfortunately. 

based on our NPC's report someone else (Brazil or Tunisia) protested probably about her equipment.