website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

9 hours ago, konig said:

May be is a dream: but i really want to the next IOC president be somebody outside the western countrys, foe example a japanese, to at least be more dificult to have some bad olympics politics, one is what @ChandlerMne mention about the "teen sports" like breakdance.

Someone from a different kind of country is really not going to suddenly turn the Olympics back to 'the good old days when only men and amateurs were allowed and they only did naked running and wrestling' :p 

That's really not going to be a matter of whichever face is at the top. The world changes, and so the Olympics changes, we've got to deal with. Lots of people like it, lots of people don't (keep in mind most regular people - which we here all are not :p - can't give two fucks about which obscure event is removed or added or whatever). 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 hours ago, konig said:

May be is a dream: but i really want to the next IOC president be somebody outside the western countrys, foe example a japanese, to at least be more dificult to have some bad olympics politics, one is what @ChandlerMne mention about the "teen sports" like breakdance.

a japanese will not remove any teen sports from olympic program however since some of these (skateboard) have bring enough medals to Japan :) . I dont think its a matter of continent, Jacques Rogge for example i have the impression was closer to the profile you described (regarding the entering of new sports)

19 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Someone from a different kind of country is really not going to suddenly turn the Olympics back to 'the good old days when only men and amateurs were allowed and they only did naked running and wrestling' :p 

That's really not going to be a matter of whichever face is at the top. The world changes, and so the Olympics changes, we've got to deal with. Lots of people like it, lots of people don't (keep in mind most regular people - which we here all are not :p - can't give two fucks about which obscure event is removed or added or whatever). 

just imagine the basketball tournament today with USA sending college guys like in the past.. :)

2 minutes ago, George_D said:

just imagine the basketball tournament today with USA sending college guys like in the past.. :)

Yeah, exactly. It's not going to be possible to change everything in a way that everyone likes it, but it makes total sense that things change over the course of years. Take the breaking as example: I don't mind it being in the Olympics, wouldn't mind it not being there neither, but I did find it entertaining and it was very clearly a crowd hit.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

IOC reduced number of events and athletes in many great sports. Thats a huge issue that new P. must solve.

Breakdancing is a total mess, total fiasco. 

Surfing is mostly boring to watch but i still liked it.

Skateboarding doesnt need both street and park, only one event is enough.

All mixed events are boring and should be excluded.

IOC must influence general public, not vice versa. 

23 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

I

and strongest countries are mainly favored by this.

also i dont find it so bad that some sports could have more male categories (wrestling, boxing) since there are some other that have exclusively females (artistic swimming, rhythmic gymnastics) so the balance stays in overall

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Dont understand me wrong: like you say, the world changes and with it the olympic games, i only pretend to an IOC Presidente who didnt make to much changes, for example: the teen sports which are added, still in the olympics, but dont added the E-sports for example, with things like that i will be conformable.

I really dont know how many real power has the IOC president, probably is just the head of a group of directings who think more or less the same, another "head" can means another group to take the power, may be with diferent ideas or not.

Just a dream.

8 hours ago, George_D said:

a japanese will not remove any teen sports from olympic program however since some of these (skateboard) have bring enough medals to Japan :) . I dont think its a matter of continent, Jacques Rogge for example i have the impression was closer to the profile you described (regarding the entering of new sports)

You are complety rigth George, is just i think that in these days, all the western IOC directings are like Thomas Bach, i presume there arent many Rogges now, even from another continent.

With Rogge i see impossible to have that addition of sports for "only this edition" like Karate in Tokyo 2020 and breaking for Paris 2024.

7 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

IOC reduced number of events and athletes in many great sports. Thats a huge issue that new P. must solve.

Breakdancing is a total mess, total fiasco. 

Surfing is mostly boring to watch but i still liked it.

Skateboarding doesnt need both street and park, only one event is enough.

IOC must influence general public, not vice versa. 

It is beyond me that 'swimming doesn't need 136 medal events' isn't on the top of this list :p