website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

On 2/3/2023 at 6:39 PM, Monzanator said:

Ah yes, the Law & Justice ministers getting some love from 'democratic' entries all of the sudden :p

I've said this before, Poland will NOT boycott the 2024 SOG even if Russia/Belarus athletes compete as neutrals. This is a weak bluff with jack high. Everyone here knows it and no Polish politician will die on this hill when the chips are down. The intense backlash over the 1984 boycott that ultimately led to nothing is still very much alive in Polish memory.

Our nation should make a boycott. We know how russian #hospitality works. And it is so sad how even ordinary Serbian use the situation in Ukraine for Kosovi thread and not only. And they are now the best friend for Russia. Are you sure that so much people wants to.join to Russia? In this way even in Lvov people will chose joint, because referendum was a joke. 

4 hours ago, Adriano said:

Our nation should make a boycott. We know how russian #hospitality works. And it is so sad how even ordinary Serbian use the situation in Ukraine for Kosovi thread and not only. And they are now the best friend for Russia. Are you sure that so much people wants to.join to Russia? In this way even in Lvov people will chose joint, because referendum was a joke. 

The boycott will do nothing like it did nothing in 1984. Five minutes after the war ends France & Germany will resume doing business with Russia and everyone who potentially thought about the boycott will look like complete idiots. I've seen this movie before.

The NATO bombings in 1999 have killed any hopes Serbia will support NATO for the next three-four generations so there is that.

@nenad i have been living first 11 years of my life in the soviet pro-Russian country and then 1989 happened and we moved to the west a bit. Suddenly everything around looked a bit different then, for me surely it was a chance for a better life. So I can't understand how someone prefers to rub shoulders with Russian politics but ok...

Anyway, good to see that we have at least one thing in common - admiration to Gregg Popovich!

Edited by rafalgorka

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

The boycott will do nothing like it did nothing in 1984. Five minutes after the war ends France & Germany will resume doing business with Russia

Five minutes after the olympics* ends Russia will restart the war.

*olympics with Individual Athletes of BLRUS competing, whether boycotted by other NOCs or not

Don't know if Thomas Bach or anyone at the IOC will take note of this, but it's an interest change of position for Anne Hidalgo..

Paris Mayor Against Russian Athletes Competing In 2024 Olympics 'While War Goes On'

Also the 5 Nordic states NOCs :NOR :SWE :FIN :DEN and :ISL jointly called on the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Tuesday to ban Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials from international participation because of the war in Ukraine and are opposed to their participation in Paris.

Still don´t get how that fencing 1976 gold medalist came up with the illusion that all national olympic committees unanimously agreed with his last week "amnesty"

I know noone interested about it but to sum things up concerning what MY opinion is:

- i wouldn't like to see BLRUS athletes in Paris starting as independent athletes or anything; I don't want to see them there at all,

- i think they will be there due to some IOC/Macron decision - Yugoslavia'92 style,

- i think if they aren't there - the risk of BLRUS spoiling the games somehow will increase dramatically, I am afraid of computer system failure, terrorist attacks or some other political issues (the worst-case scenario: increasing the war so dramatically that we should stop the games because they wouldn't matter anymore),

- i think if they are here - I HOPE NOONE BOYCOTT THIS THING, because it would be a shame for the athletes from NOCs who didn't start this damn thing - but on the other hand, I don't see how BLRUS athletes could perform against UKR in combat sports above all.

Ofc i am biased here, not at all objective, very subjective. The reason is simple - this war affects many of my UKR friends very much, and somehow, me-myself as well, but that's a long story. I know, I haven't protested this way about other wars before, I know...

But i must admit that previously I was AGAINST (and i wrote it here at TOTALL many times) a ban for RUS athletes who didn't dope themselves, thinking that this kind of collective responsibility is unjustified.

But here i am against their participance, because STATE-ORGANIZED DOPING is one thing and such a WAR is another one, even if “barking of NATO at the door of Russia” might have led to it

(...that's sarcasm, the last part).

And above all: and i will repeat myself here;

I really don’t care about Paris 2024 that much, what I care is how to stop this f... war and THE PROBLEM IS I am sure that allowing BLRUS to participate will not help to stop the war at all, as things stand today. It may only help to stop this war for some 2,5 weeks in summertime 2024, but next day BLRUS are back in business, they'll continue what they like to do so much, mark my words.

Edited by rafalgorka

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

Still don´t get how that fencing 1976 gold medalist came up with the illusion that all national olympic committees unanimously agreed with his last week "amnesty"

Because the IOC, and to a greater extent the wider international sports network, has become an echo chamber that confirms the viewpoints of those in charge. It was honestly amusing watching PanamSports, EOC, OCA, ANOC, IFs, NOCs, etc. trip over each other to welcome the IOC’s position :p

This isn’t to say there is or isn’t large support for the path they’re going down, I just feel like you’d really expect to see a greater diversity of viewpoints on such a divisive subject :dunno:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Because the IOC, and to a greater extent the wider international sports network, has become an echo chamber that confirms the viewpoints of those in charge. It was honestly amusing watching PanamSports, EOC, OCA, ANOC, IFs, NOCs, etc. trip over each other to welcome the IOC’s position :p

This isn’t to say there is or isn’t large support for the path they’re going down, I just feel like you’d really expect to see a greater diversity of viewpoints on such a divisive subject :dunno:

The IOC doesn't want to listen to outside opinions.  And Bach doesn't want to get on the bad side of leaders like Putin in case he needs him to host an Olympics.

I think the biggest mistake was being so openly public about wanting to include the Russians in Paris, in whatever form that would take.  I've see a lot of sentiment on social media that people will tune out the Olympics if Russia is there.  I know I'm not taking that tact, but we saw it happen with China.  It would be a shame if we had another Olympics clouded by politics, but sadly that's the road we're headed down.  And there's really not much of a way around that problem so long as Russia continues their offensive in Ukraine