website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics FIG World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

:GBR finish qualification with a score of 166.130. That is just over 1.5 points higher than they achieved in Liverpool and 1.7 points higher than they managed at this year's Europeans. Pretty much all of the gains can be traced to improved scores on Balance Beam. 

In terms of the individual athletes, Jessica Gadirova is currently sitting in 3rd place in the All-Around with 56.932.  That is over 2 points higher than she scored last year and is higher than the score she achieved when crowned European Champion earlier this year. Again, she posted a big gain on balance beam but she scored higher across all 4 apparatus. She is pretty much nailed on to qualify for individual all-around final with good chance she will be in the final group. 

Her 14.400 on Floor should see her into the apparatus final as should her 14.416 on vault. With a 14.000 on balance beam she should also have a chance there but it is worth saying that the scores this year seem to be running higher than Liverpool. 

I am not expecting any of the other gymnasts to qualify for individual finals although Alice Kinsella should be in the individual all-around despite having a fall on beam. She may also have outside chance of making the floor final - her score of 13.633 would have been enough last year - but I think she is likely to come up just short this time. 

Ondine Achampong and Georgia-Mae Fenton were both solid enough whilst Ruby Evans will probably be a bit disappointed with how things went - she was solid enough on floor, but had a fall on vault. 

Overall, I think the team will be happy with how things went - there were no major mistakes and they will be very much in contention for a medal on Wednesday but it is difficult to see how they can catch USA unless something goes seriously wrong. 

4 hours ago, rybak said:

I see that in qualifications in women's balance beam after first day (not counting women's from countries which may qualify a team) only :CRO Tina Zelcic and :ISR Lihie Raz are above :POL Marta Pihan-Kulesza. Our athlete doesn't have any chance for quota after that or I'm maybe wrong?

unfortunately no, only the best gymnast from a country that has not already qualified for the Olympic Games (team or all-around) can qualify. Tina Zelcic cannot qualify for the all-around, so she is already an athlete above Pihan-Kulesza.

7 minutes ago, IoNuTzZ said:

Romania is back at the Olympics with a full women’s team. Good job girls even with the small mistakes (Sabrina - 0 at vault, Amalia - 1 fall at the beam) but we are back. :clap:

Do you have a chance to get bigger team compare to Tokyo even you missed football team?

12 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

:GBR finish qualification with a score of 166.130. That is just over 1.5 points higher than they achieved in Liverpool and 1.7 points higher than they managed at this year's Europeans. Pretty much all of the gains can be traced to improved scores on Balance Beam. 

In terms of the individual athletes, Jessica Gadirova is currently sitting in 3rd place in the All-Around with 56.932.  That is over 2 points higher than she scored last year and is higher than the score she achieved when crowned European Champion earlier this year. Again, she posted a big gain on balance beam but she scored higher across all 4 apparatus. She is pretty much nailed on to qualify for individual all-around final with good chance she will be in the final group. 

Her 14.400 on Floor should see her into the apparatus final as should her 14.416 on vault. With a 14.000 on balance beam she should also have a chance there but it is worth saying that the scores this year seem to be running higher than Liverpool. 

I am not expecting any of the other gymnasts to qualify for individual finals although Alice Kinsella should be in the individual all-around despite having a fall on beam. She may also have outside chance of making the floor final - her score of 13.633 would have been enough last year - but I think she is likely to come up just short this time. 

Ondine Achampong and Georgia-Mae Fenton were both solid enough whilst Ruby Evans will probably be a bit disappointed with how things went - she was solid enough on floor, but had a fall on vault. 

Overall, I think the team will be happy with how things went - there were no major mistakes and they will be very much in contention for a medal on Wednesday but it is difficult to see how they can catch USA unless something goes seriously wrong. 

You think they'll go with Fenton ahead of Achampong in the AA final because of the fall even though the latter finished ahead of her?

2 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

You think they'll go with Fenton ahead of Achampong in the AA final because of the fall even though the latter finished ahead of her?

Normally Gadirova and Kinsella would be the nominated All-Around athletes and I think there is probably more scope for an improved score from Kinsella - the fall on beam was a bit innocuous but seem to recall this isn't the first time that Kinsella has had a fall straight after mounting the beam.

But to be honest hadn't clocked that Achampong had finished just ahead of Kinsella in qualifying and given Kinsella isn't a medal threat, it is unlikely that GB will follow Japan's lead and take their 3rd ranked gymnast. 

There are 4 Sub-Divisions still to take place with 10 teams left to compete.

So my predictions:

• :AUT & :CAN enter the competition in Sub-Division 7. Canada already qualified so :BRA should be confirmed at the end of Sub-Division 7.
  • :GER :HUN & :FIN are in Sub-Division 8. Germany probably have best chances to qualify in this group, but I don't see them getting into top 5. Expecting to be able to confirm :ITA and :NED as qualified at the end of Sub-Division 8.
  • :JPN :CZE & :ARG enter competition in Sub-Division 9. I think Japan will make it to team final so expect to be able to confirm :JPN and :AUS as qualified at the end of Sub-Division 9.
  • :FRA and :CHN are the last teams to enter in Sub-Division 10. Both should have enough to make it into the top 12. :FRA & :CHN should be confirmed with probably :GER and :ROU taking the final team quotas.